_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Placing Putty
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Do you use a special tool in puttying an area or just by your bare hands? If yes, what tools do you use?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
I always use a mini-spatula. Made from stainless steel about 3 inches long, with a 'spoon' end and a flattened end. Sorry but absolutely no idea where it came from since I picked this one up from my prep room in my lab....been there years. Don't know what I'd do without it. Find something that's easy to clean or disposable and in plentiful supply, with a flat end and a rounded end.

Vinnie
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
If I apply it out of the tube I usally use a spatula. It can be whatever you wish from what Teacher said to a spatula for artistic or kids use to a a scrap piece of plastic strong enough to do the job. If I used it thinned (i.e. Tamiya putty thinned with acetone) I just apply it with an old/very cheap paintbrush...
Ciao
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
Depending on what your using the putty for. You can shape a wooden popsicle stick in any fashion and and thickness you need. Craft stores call them craft sticks. you can get about 150 for about $1.50 and they come in many widths. Also for fine work toothpicks work well too and are cheaper than the craft sticks.
HTH
Paul
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC
I use a toothpick, or a piece of sprue.

Sometimes I just apply a little right out of the tube.

~Chip :-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi there

When applying putty, I often mask each side of the joint with tape, to protect surrounding detail.

As regards tools, I usually use a scalpel with a curved blade - the same as I use for general cutting and trimming... I guess I'm too lazy to use a different lool!

Like Scoccia, I use an old brush to apply thinned putty.

All the best

Rowan
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
I'm with Merlin on this one, I mask around the area to be filled to prevent accidental overfill, and tend to use the edge of an old scalpel blade to apply/smooth it out.

If its a large area I have been known to apply it straight from the tube, but I use Humbrol filler a lot and lately it seems to seperate into filler and solvent in the tube and needs to be remixed before application. Might just be a bad batch from my local model shop. Again the trusty scalpel is used for this too.

Happy modelling and not too much filling I hope

raycel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
I think Micro Mark has some different tools for spreading/applying putty. They are not cheap but they have alot of unique tools.(and once you order from them you get caalogs for the rest of your life).

I use a dental pick and spade that I picked up at a local surplus shop. :-)
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC
The thing that teacher described sounds like what I use- a Tamiya paint stirrer....one end is flat, the other is spoon shaped. It works great for applying putty in tight places and easy to handle! They usually come two in a pack, and easy to clean stainless steel (or similar material)
 _GOTOTOP