Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
So happy! I just passed my motorcycle test.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hay gang, to say I am happy right now is an under statement! after the second attempt I have passed my motorcycle test today .

Hope to pick up my new bike later .
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 04:36 AM UTC
Very cool. So what's your ride? Triumph? Royal Enfield? Check out Club Chopper Forum if you haven't already.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hay gang, to say I am happy right now is an under statement! after the second attempt I have passed my motorcycle test today .

Hope to pick up my new bike later .

Well done. It's a lot harder now than when I did mine. I just rode around the block for ten minutes and answered some questions on road signs!

Straight from a 175cc to a Triumph Bonneville!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 05:29 AM UTC
Great job! I'll be taking mine as soon as I get back from visiting family. Probably get a ricer or a crotch rocket.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool. So what's your ride? Triumph? Royal Enfield? Check out Club Chopper Forum if you haven't already.

I am getting a Kawasaki ZRX, I have always had a soft spot for Kwakers

To get your licence now is a nightmare! You have to do your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) that allows you to ride a maximum of 125cc. then you have your theory test and 2 practical tests not to mention lessons as well!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
You're lucky you didn't get yours in Germany. You're limited to 27 PS for the first year or two (can't remember how long exactly) and have to do highway, city, night, AND riany condition driving.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
Congarts and welcome to the club Scott, keep safe...

Rob how is your bike coming along!

Happy Modeling,
Joe
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
You may judge for yourself - it's definitely not for everyone. Everything is fabbed by me - no CNC or water jet here. Just have to design foot control mounts. Actual controls are M4 flash suppressors, with flash bang grenade foot pegs.
The hand grips are flash bangs as well, but I haven't installed the handlebars yet, also designed by me. Fender will be a two piece bobbed fender put together with old school rivets.
Suicide shifter is WWII era.
A nice blend of old school springer and new school original tank design, with quite a few Soviet parts thrown in...

Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:12 AM UTC
WOW! Thats awesome Robert I like all the little details.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 12:23 PM UTC
Aww I remember when I first got mine!!!!
Just remember Scott, ride as if every tin top is blind.

Quoted Text

Straight from a 175cc to a Triumph Bonneville!

Almost the same here Dave. Went from a 250 cc to a 750 in the space of 3 hours. Then later on found and fell in love with the Triumph Triples .
Here is my last one (kids, family, work Etc)

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 01:11 PM UTC
I just fell in love for a second time...great bike Rob, great bike!!!

Joe
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been running a 125cc for about the last year or so and have had a few close calls! Car drivers just don't look for you, the worst one was a local council pick up that pulled out of a junction about 20 feet in front of me I stopped about 3-4 feet behind it. I had to go sit in the cantine at work for a while before could start work becouse I was shaking so much!

Just out of interest is there a bikers thread on the kit maker network?
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Just picked up my new toy this morning

By sudzonic at 2011-07-28
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
[quote]Just picked up my new toy this morning

Dammit man, it's a riceburner!

Got my eye on Royal Enfield Clubman caferacer 500cc single at the moment - just need some pennies.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing wrong with that. My first nine were rice burners. The tenth is a vodka burner. The Infidel Chopper is the eleventh, and first Harley powered (the only HD product IS the motor) ride.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 06:35 AM UTC

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that. My first nine were rice burners. The tenth is a vodka burner. The Infidel Chopper is the eleventh, and first Harley powered (the only HD product IS the motor) ride.[/quote]

I know we're stealing the original thread, but the only bike that's come close to killing me was a Kwacker. Wouldn't follow a 1950s Norton round a bend at nearly a ton, just ran wide and ended up in a ditch (never did get in the girls pants either!). The Dominator just went round on rails. Done the same bend on other bikes at the same speed with no trouble. Also prefer something that doesn't need a garage to service at great expense. One or two pots I'll do myself!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Just picked up my new toy this morning

Got my eye on Royal Enfield Clubman caferacer 500cc single at the moment - just need some pennies.

Awh come on now man...so long as she's got two wheels we're all brothers for the same cause- right? Mind you I haven't swung a leg over anything in nearly 20 years I still have my class M{175 or 250cc on up} and my Shoei X-8 which means I could ride again...I'm just still tired of lefthand turners and folks who don't look for anything smaller than a full sized car...know what I mean!
Nice Kawi...I'd like to get my old '84 Yami FJ1100 back or at least one like it even though I said I'd want a cruiser after I sold that one....maybe some day.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... just ran wide and ended up in a ditch (never did get in the girls pants either!)......

Now there's a BAD day...toss a bike, and loose the girl...my condolences!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have been running a 125cc for about the last year or so and have had a few close calls! Car drivers just don't look for you, the worst one was a local council pick up that pulled out of a junction about 20 feet in front of me I stopped about 3-4 feet behind it. I had to go sit in the cantine at work for a while before could start work becouse I was shaking so much!

Yeah, that will happen as well as the dreaded lefthand turner who simply doesn't see you...it's all the things the book doesn't tell you that will scare the heck out of you...1st ten min of rain on blacktop where all the dripped oil and antifreeze is it's slickest before it gets fully washed off, steel grate bridges and freshly grated blacktop{herringbone pattern}, stepped blacktop when repaving{new higher layer vs older lower one and trying to correctly cross over it!}, how a simple rain feels at 35plus mph without a helmit, how following a loaded untarped gravel truck feels without a helmit, how a bird feels hitting your knee at 50mph or a bee landing backwards between your fingers at any speed,...or my worst experience- a child running out between parked cars to grab his ball, I stopped with the handlebar end an 1" from his head...at least I only killed the bike there! Cycles still call to me though.....
I think that most anyone could benefit from some dirtbike time before hitting the streets so they can get the feel of uneven road and deal with it, loose turns in the dirt are far more inviting than hitting oil or something around a corner and sliding out enough to kick up the footpeg and if you ever have to run off into a ditch, well, it could possibly help there too.
Of all the bikes out there I don't think I'd ever do an old Kawi H-2 triple again...nope...a nice old RZ350 would be cool though!
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 06:31 PM UTC
Congrats! You've probably heard it a Zillion times. But what is one more. Ride safe yah?

How we get our bike license here is different. Complete lessons and a circuit test in a 150 without messing up to get a class 2B (good for up to 200cc). Ride for a year. If you are still alive, good, do the same circuit on a 250 and get a 2A(good for up to 400cc), repeat again the next year on a 600 to get a class 2 unlimited.

When my mid life crisis start, I might get one of those super motard thingys.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Google Club Chopper Active Threads - it's easier than trying to keep up with individual forums. Good site, lots of knowledgable people from around the world. My handle is the same there, by the way.

That's a nice Kawi. I'm envisioning a metric chop...
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 11:27 AM UTC
Scott, is that a 750cc? How many miles on her?
Those old Kaws are fun...tweek the front and rear sprockets, put a good tensile strength chain on and your set. Since she looks used{ and I may be wrong} you might want to go thru her and check the brake pucks, chain for stretch. End of your riding season drain the oil and pop the cover off the clutch basket and check the fiber and steel plates for any blueing which means slippage...new springs/steel discs/ and fiber discs and your set. I always changed the plugs, oil and filter every year and kept the battery on an auto trickle charger in the off season{oct-mar}.
May I suggest a site like this one-
Kawasaki owners Club
There's alot of knowledge there as well as manuals and help.
All I have left now are 2 Kawasakis; '79 440 Invader and an '81 LTD....snowmobiles!{hey, they're still Kawis!}
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hay Bob, its only a 400cc! I know the previous owner very well and it has been very well looked after, the only thing it needs is a new rear tyre but it is on order from my local motorcycle garage and should be here this week?

Bryan. that sounds like a long process, its not dissimilar in this country. If you are under 21 years old and pass your test you have restriction to 33bhp for 2 years, but if you are over 21 you can do whats called Direct Access. So long as you are accompanied by an instructor you can learn and do your test on a bigger bike and you are then allowed to ride any bike you like.

There has been a lot of talk lately that the whole process is going to change soon and the 33bhp limit will be brought in across the board for every new rider, and the test will be simplified and the elements of the module 1 practical test will be incorporated in to the main test.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
congratulations, driving a motorcycle is exciting, relaxing and surprising at the same time

drive carefully
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
That's a 400cc?...sometimes I forget what the rest of the world gets that we here in the states don't...or vise versa. What year is that? She's a clean looking bike!
Do they require you to wear helmits there? Around here each state has different rules, though some may be the same as others...here in Illinois we have to wear eye protection{geez, I guess that's a good idea} and 24hr headlights. But, if you head an hour over to Indiana they require helmits as well as Michigan...before a long trip a rider really needs to know what states require what to stay out of trouble. While I started out with not wearing a helmit, I do now advise folks to wear one and besides, the Bombardier Revolution modular helmit is pretty darn cool with it's drop down sun shade - no need to cary around sunglasses...great for those late days where the sun is setting and your heading into it!