Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
So happy! I just passed my motorcycle test.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a 400cc?...sometimes I forget what the rest of the world gets that we here in the states don't...or vise versa. What year is that? She's a clean looking bike!
Do they require you to wear helmits there? Around here each state has different rules, though some may be the same as others...here in Illinois we have to wear eye protection{geez, I guess that's a good idea} and 24hr headlights. But, if you head an hour over to Indiana they require helmits as well as Michigan...before a long trip a rider really needs to know what states require what to stay out of trouble. While I started out with not wearing a helmit, I do now advise folks to wear one and besides, the Bombardier Revolution modular helmit is pretty darn cool with it's drop down sun shade - no need to cary around sunglasses...great for those late days where the sun is setting and your heading into it!

Yep its a 400! it is a Japanese import the the other versions of that bike are 1100 and 1200. helmets are mandatory in the UK, and most bikes have day light running lights here as well.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
A little more progress:

Flash bang grenade foot pegs with M4 muzzle controls. Flash bangs for the hand grips as well:

Do you see the .50 cal. charging handle assembly? That's my suicide shifter.

Seat detail, designed and fabricated by me, as is everything else on the bike:

Over the top view:

Oil Bag. Next time I'll make one from two 105mm casings:

Now I've got fo figure out some cool exhaust pipes and the fab work will be done.
By the way, the air intake you see there is the rear end of one of many 107mm Soviet rockets fired at us. Above it is the fuel shut off valve from a BRDM-2 in Afghanistan. It can select from either fuel tank. Middle position is off.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 05:31 PM UTC
Pipes will be unconventionally run to the left. Rear pipe is shown fabbed up. Front pipe will come up underneath at the same angle. Should finidh it tomorrow:

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:38 PM UTC
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 01:14 AM UTC
Much respect for that fabrication. If I could do that... well.. .I would not be effing around with 35th plastic models, hahah.

This is my current ride; Kawi ER650, set up as a modest sport/tourer. Previous bike was a 92 Yammy Xj600 aka Seca II, she lasted me 18 years, and was still running great. Had to sell it because when I moved from Alberta to Ontario, my insurance rates increased 1000%. No $hit, I paid $42 a year for the Seca in Alberat, and in Ontario, it went to just under $500. So, the cost of insuring two bikes, especially one that was only worth $1000, forced the sale. I needed a moment when buddy loaded it on the back of his truck.

Here's the current bike:

Annnnddd.. here's what happens when you try to squeeze one last ride in, are late for meeting, in a parking lot, with cold tires, driving too fast, and decide that in the battle of motorcycle versus speeding SUV front bumper, its better to grab a handful of front brake...

Been riding for 20 years, and its still possible to get humbled by stupid mistakes. At least the gear did its job and I could ride away from the accident. Had a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my leg, could have been worse, except the givi back kept most of the weight off me when she low sided.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:59 PM UTC
Here's my oldest on Yamapocalypse Now. Complete with 'sound effects face'

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
A little late on the congrats LOL.

Robert, nice build with the hardtail, love the details!

Just finished restoring this GSXR. It's an 89 750 frame, 1100 motor and a bunch of odds and sodds. All work including paint was done by me.

What it looked like when I brought it home.

Stripped down to the frame.

Getting close now.

Paint.

And my daily driver, 1992 ZX11.

cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
Awesome restoration. That was my dream bike back in 87-88 timeframe when I lived in Berlin. I wanted the black and red model. I had an 1100 Katana that I loved, but right about that time saw the death of the twin shock sport bike.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 09:00 AM UTC
Nice bikes guys, Robert that is some nice work not my kind of bike but I do admire the work that go's in to custom choppers and I have to say I prefer the more new school look just looks neater and tidyer in my eyes but that's just me.

Richard, I was looking at the 600 version of that and found a ZZR-1100 (ZX11) for about the same price so I looked up the insurance, I nearly feel off my seat with the quote it was something like £1050! Maybe when I build up some no clams bonuses I will have a look at 1 again
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome restoration. That was my dream bike back in 87-88 timeframe when I lived in Berlin. I wanted the black and red model. I had an 1100 Katana that I loved, but right about that time saw the death of the twin shock sport bike.

Thanks Robert, I'm still on the lookout for a nice 82 Katana 1100. That was my dream bike growing up LOL.

Quoted Text

Richard, I was looking at the 600 version of that and found a ZZR-1100 (ZX11) for about the same price so I looked up the insurance, I nearly feel off my seat with the quote it was something like £1050! Maybe when I build up some no clams bonuses I will have a look at 1 again

Where I live the insurance is pretty cheap as both the bikes and myself are old LOL. Any 20 year old bike is pretty cheap to insure with just basic liability. I think I'm paying around $40.00 each per month

cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 04:56 PM UTC
Almost finished. Wiring is complete, oil and fuel lines nearly done. Picking up tanks tomorrow.
It's actually starting to look like a bike.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC