Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
No glue, No paint, No modelling
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 04:03 PM UTC
At least here in Southern California, we are out of most glue and paint of almost all brands. I talked to the owner of a local hobby shop, and I guess it's due to a crack down on imported materials.

If you look at most "Asian" (what's POC) made products, they don't have English labeling that says something like "don't drink this [auto-censored]" it might disagree with you.

Is there any offshore source for things like Tamiya thin cement?

The guy told me manufacturers will have to post a $10,000 bond for every product, after "proper" labeling, That means EVERY color of paint, etc.

Government protection gon crazy And I'm not even Libertarian.

I guess poop gets censored?
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 05:51 PM UTC
Wow that really sucks. Something like that even affects me.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 06:14 PM UTC
Dave, I must have been asleep when this started. I went to the LHS in Burbank and wondered why the paint selection was gone. The glues were all there, at least the ones that I use. Guess it is time to do all of my shopping at Squadron from now on since California cannot stop putting their hand in my pocket.

Bob
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 4,021 Posts
KitMaker Network: 84 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
An alternative to Tamiya extra thin: go down to any hardware store's paint department and get a small can of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). It's the primary ingredient in liquid cements,anyway. Nasty stuff, as always. I just refill my tamiya bottle (with its sweet brush applicator). Haven't bought liq cement in years -- nor years to come.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
It's the same way in Florida. None of the local retailers are restocking their Tamiya paints and glues. Which sucks cause the paints are only $1.50 a bottle. Guess I need to go buy them out.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 03:01 PM UTC
Too much government = too much B.S. Now if they only did the job they were supposed to do!
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 309 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's the same way in Florida. None of the local retailers are restocking their Tamiya paints and glues. Which sucks cause the paints are only $1.50 a bottle. Guess I need to go buy them out.

I was wondering why the shops in Jacksonville were running low on Tamiya paints...
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
Idiot DEMOC'RAT'S first its health care, then what you can eat. Now it's Models.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 05:47 PM UTC
I buy Tamiya regular and extra thin cement all the time from Luckymodel. I usually get 5 at a time and they ship to the US, no problems. They have it in stock, I just checked. Extra thin is $2.69 a bottle. Regular is $1.89 a bottle.
Hobbyeasy has all of the 10ml Tamiya acrylics in stock for $1.54 a bottle. Same deal, you order it, they'll ship it to your door no hassles.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 1,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobbyeasy has all of the 10ml Tamiya acrylics in stock for $1.54 a bottle. Same deal, you order it, they'll ship it to your door no hassles.

Agreed, I don't understand why can't you order online???
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 04:28 AM UTC
Tamiya has been in undertaking the heavily time involved process of relabeling all of its products, and for this reason have not been shipping them yet. They have released several apologies to North American vendors over the past several months in regards to this.

I'm sure that other companies are having similar issues.

Hopefully this arduous process will be coming to a close by the end of this summer. Apparently Tamiya wasn't expecting it to take nearly this long.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
I guess I should feel fortunate with our LHS. Three weeks ago I mentioned that they were out of Ambroid glue and Saturday they were stocked up!!

- Jeff
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am planning to order several of the glue, and primer from offshore. However, buying glue and paint is one of the few things I still buy at my Local Hobby Shop. Most around me don't even bother to stock kits anymore.

The problem with glue and paint from any supplier, is it has to be shipped ground (or boat) if they're honest about the packaging. Air shippers don't want that stuff on board. Ground from Asia is several weeks at best.

paint is usually an impulse but, and it's nice to be able to walk into the LHS and walk out with it.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Idiot DEMOC'RAT'S first its health care, then what you can eat. Now it's Models.

And you know this is a Democratic idea how? Who currently controls the Congress?

Gents, let's leave the political ranting for another thread or even another forum.

Years ago they let us have asbestos for our basements and Agent Orange for our weed killer. Both worked very well, but turned out to be nasty [auto-censored]. Those who got harmed sued. Can't blame the gubmint for trying to keep nasty [auto-censored] under some sort of control.

Should they grandfather-in model paints? Call or write your Congress person and let them know you vote. They'll probably be glad to hear from a different "crank" segment of the political spectrum besides the NRA, LOL.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,096 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because of were I live I don't have much opiton but order on line, my nearest model shop is a ferry journey and a 2-3 hour drive!

badger66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:45 AM UTC
Well said Bill
mikeTusler
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And you know this is a Democratic idea how? Who currently controls the Congress?

Gents, let's leave the political ranting for another thread or even another forum.

Years ago they let us have asbestos for our basements and Agent Orange for our weed killer. Both worked very well, but turned out to be nasty [auto-censored]. Those who got harmed sued. Can't blame the gubmint for trying to keep nasty [auto-censored] under some sort of control.

Should they grandfather-in model paints? Call or write your Congress person and let them know you vote. They'll probably be glad to hear from a different "crank" segment of the political spectrum besides the NRA, LOL.

So no political rants, Bill? i.e "They'll probably be glad to hear from a different "crank" segment of the political spectrum besides the NRA,"

I would hazard a guess there are alot of NRA members that are into military modeling. I guess it's only a rant if it's not on your side...
Removed by original poster on 06/27/11 - 23:39:10 (GMT).
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So no political rants, Bill? i.e "They'll probably be glad to hear from a different "crank" segment of the political spectrum besides the NRA,"

I would hazard a guess there are alot of NRA members that are into military modeling. I guess it's only a rant if it's not on your side...

And Mike you know I'm not an NRA member how?

My tongue was planted firmly in cheek, Dude. I would imagine most Congress People would be shocked to hear from irate modelers demanding their Tamiya paints. But it would probably be refreshing to hear from a different group of "cranks." And you can't be in this hobby and not be considered a crank, it's not exactly a mainstream activity, even if "South Park" hasn't pilloried us yet. Maybe there's an episode coming about angry modelers with guns storming a Civil War reenactment? LOL

Everyone needs to loosen their knickers a bit on this thread.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No more politics on the Forum I agree but then you throw the barb about the NRA? Hmm
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No more politics on the Forum I agree but then you throw the barb about the NRA? Hmm

Bill, some of my best friends are gay members of the NRA.... And you don't know whether I'm a member or not, do you?

Lighten up, Dude. We're all cranks here, one-issue zealots, in this case about nasty glues and paints....
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
Good Lord - Thank goodness i live in the UK !.
Over on this side of the pond we have various rules and regulations concerning the sale of Paints,Knives and Solvents but this really tops it.
Reminds me of when i first started modelling,i was aged nine (i`m now Fourty-three) The law says that you have have to be over Eighteen to buy glues here but i went into my local toystore to buy a tube of glue - the owner did sell it to me because i bought my kits there and knew i was`nt going to sniff it but insisted that i put it in my pocket before i left the store.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
Tamiya paints are gradually disappearing from LHSs here in Jersey....