Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
No glue, No paint, No modelling
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
This kind of reminds me of the 60's when kids started to huff tube glue in large amounts. Eventually you had to have a parent with you if you wanted to buy a tube of glue. And of course you know that it was always convenient for Mom and Dad to run you out to the hobby shop when you ran out. NOT.

And really this isn't a political issue at all. It's a CYA issue brought about by the legal beagles. Remember the "contents may be hot" message on the Mickey D's coffee cups. Same thing. CYA
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 345 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
Some paint is showing up here, but still no glue, and my favorite, the gray primer.

I just got six bottles of extra thin cement from an Asian supplier, so I can actually build again.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember the "contents may be hot" message on the Mickey D's coffee cups.

There is a very good documentary on HBO and likely elsewhere called "Hot Coffee" that shows:

1.) McDonald's willingly kept their coffee at scalding temperatures because it lasts longer and they didn't have to throw out so much.

2.) They had been sued or had claims against them many times before the woman who supposedly was driving when she spilled the coffee in her lap. The photos of her burned flesh are ghastly.

3.) Turns out, she wasn't driving. The coffee tipped over as she tried to put sugar in it while sitting in the passenger seat.

4.) The Mickey D's PR machine made her look like a laughing stock. That in turn fueled laws restricting our rights to sue companies for wrongs under the guise of "tort reform."

If you want to live in a society without government oversight, try China where they put plastic into milk powder to cover adulterating it (melamine tests like calcium), put antibiotics in their fish ponds, or allow toxic minerals to leach in, and where the Rail Ministry both runs the trains AND supervises them.

I will now step down off my soap box.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Agreed, I don't understand why can't you order online???

I like to support my LHS.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 04:01 PM UTC
The object of your ire is the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. It was a "hurry up" and do something response to reports of toxin laden, mostly lead, toys on the shelves of major retailers at Christmas of 2007. It passed both houses of Congress by wide majorities. The vote was 79-13 in the Senate, implying that nearly 20 Republicans voted for it. It was signed into law in August of 2008 by President George W. Bush, a Republican.

My suspicion is that the organizations (importers and retailers) that were to be regulated by this bill were generous in their contributions to writing this act. And they took the opportunity to be sure that any of their smaller competitors would be more severely constrained by the act than they would be.