staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:41 AM UTC
So I was thinking how lucky it is that I am here in Charlottesville. Center of the modeling universe. I never would have guessed it. I have IMPS Richmond in February (not sure I am going though), AMPS 2002 Nats in April (3 hrs away in Maryland), and 2002 IPMS Nats in Norfolf (2.5 hrs away). Cool beans.

But this got me thinking. ARMORAMA.com T-Shirts!
They could have an un-pc dorky saying like:

"Military modelers do it in scale!" or
"Military modelers aren't afraid of a little mud."

hehe

I will definately shoot pics with my digital camera though. Hopefully the wife will sign on to this mission and authorize my travel papers.

Jim
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ARMORAMA.com T-Shirts!

I was thinking of the same thing!! I would like to make it to the AMPS Nats or IPMS Nats. Airfare to the east coast is pretty cheap right now!! Its the funds that are stopping the show right now. The ski trip in March kind of dampens the possibilities!!

T-shirt front, left side about pocket height: HunterCottage with Lieutenant bar to the side

T-shirt back: ARMORAMA.com for military scale modelers(logo)

We do it in the dirt!

Olive Drab shirt with yellow lettering
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
Definately a bummer living in the Northeast. None of those are in driving distance... well I take that back. They are ALL in driving distance, but a somewhat long drive.

We, historically, have been fairly void of modelling conventions. I do not even have a good hobby store within an hour drive of me. When I was in Norfolk last week, the NAS had a super hobby store right on base. I was drooling, but was space limited and couldn't buy anything.

Seems to me that from mid-east coast down, you guys always have the good stuff!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Definately a bummer living in the Northeast.

where you living at, I've had all types of decent shops/shows in both my northeast (NJ,MA) duty stations?

Quoted Text

We, historically, have been fairly void of modelling conventions... When I was in Norfolk last week, the NAS had a super hobby store right on base.

Some of the larger Army posts have nice selections of military models, like Ft. Knox and APG.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ARMORAMA.com T-Shirts!

Can you say "We don't get none"? Although and interesting idea, it's kind of what you see the "modelmorphs" wearing to shows. From past NGs, model morphs are the 200+lb guys wearing the medium T-shirt that don't quite cover the belly and have this odor eminating from them. I used to think the guys on rms were just joking until I went to a show in NJ and had to stand a distance from a couple of guys. Whew!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi
Id like to have one of these T-shirts, Ill not attend for AMPS but I wanna get one!!!!!!!!!!!
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
LOL @ Rob! You paint a very vivid picture! :-)
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 12:07 AM UTC
LOL....yes Rob that was...er...interesting.

You forgot to mention that the shirts were originally extra-large but they had shrunk them down to medium with their expert laundry care.

:)

Jim
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

where you living at, I've had all types of decent shops/shows in both my northeast (NJ,MA) duty stations?

Sabot,
I'm in Brunswick, Maine stationed at the NAS here. Been here for 4 years and before my Navy career I actually lived in Brunswick. Massachusetts may have shows, but Boston is nearly a 3 1/2 hour drive and anything that happens down there doesn't get advertised up here.

Most the Navy bases I have det'ed to, even as remote as Keflavik, Iceland, all have some form of hobby store. For some reason Brunswick does not. I do most of my model shopping off the internet.

Oh well. I get along.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC
I yhi yhi!! Eeek, careful with that NJ stuff-my home state...oh well, I must agree with you though. every hobby store I've been to has had at least one guy, who fits that description.
Being here in South Florida, in Ft. Lauderdale, only "one" left in this area, all others closed...refuse to drive to Miami!
Feb. 16, here in Hollywood is Model Con 2002, it will be the first time I've ever been to a model show. Can't wait to see what it's like. Should I bring some cash and plastic????

How about Armorama.com - Scale Military Modelers one side, the other , Attention to details - when not mouseing around
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in Brunswick, Maine stationed at the NAS here. Been here for 4 years and before my Navy career I actually lived in Brunswick.

I'm located at Hanscom AFB, just outside of Boston, there is a real good shop 30 mins away in Marlborough and another in Tyngsburo (near MA/NH border). There is the DowneastCon in Biddeford on April 13th. The Noreastcon here is May 3-4, the GraniteCon in Nashua, NH is Oct 20. There are a few others if you are interested, contact me off-line.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC
GunTruck simply sad because I'm way out here in Northern California (San Jose). There isn't a dirth of modeling events to attend - even if you wanted to drive 500 miles - let alone heavily attended military vehicle groups.

Jim
http://www.guntruck.com
 _GOTOTOP