_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
competions
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC
how many of you boys enter into comps.Up untill the late 1980s i couldnt get enough of
them,got quite paranoid about detail,covering each section for the club(and myself)and
was quite good at it ,gaining a few trophies on the way.The point of this tale is judging,
shortly before going to Euro Militaire,as was asked to judge at the BMSS Nationals in
London,after all these years painting and assembling,i couldnt believe the criteria they
worked to,they farted and fussed over minutea,tearing peoples best efforts apart,after
about an hour i departed for the bar,and let them get on with it,What are your experiences
with comps and judging
Cheers
Arthur
g
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
Haven't entered in one, and haven't been to to one. I'd go just to see models, but I can't say I'm too crazy about judging one person's model better than another's. You build models because you like to. If I go to a contest it's to share my work and enjoymeny of the hobby, not to prove I'm better than someone else.
It's not really a contest, but we have a great Episode II debate goin on in the "Episode II conversation'' forum. (so, I had to toss that in...... )

YodaMan
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I go to a contest it's to share my work and enjoymeny of the hobby, not to prove I'm better than someone else.

You have a point in there, Yoda.
I entered once, with my second dio, won it. The point was not the competition but to see fellow modelers out there. And I donīt really feel like getting that much of praise for my work as I did in there.
Because I know how little I know.

Toni

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
Oooh - touchy subject There's a much more entertaing Star Wars thread here like YodaMan pointed out...

I'm a long time competitor and model judge like you. I've seen a lot of bad and a lot of good over this time. I would be lying if I didn't credit the long years of judging as key in developing my model building skills of today. It also has affected my opinion of model building too.

One prevalent approach to a scale model competition is determining the "best" from all the offerings around in the room - by determining the "worst" in elimination fashion. Can't have Good, Better, and Best - gotta have a winner and a loser. That's what some feel competition is all about - and in the strict sense, who's to tell them they're right or wrong?

Another approach is to evaluate the work on its own merit - in a vacuum of predetermined criteria - that removes the subjective "worst" of another model kit from the equation. If the model meets a certain level of criteria, then it is awarded on a level commensurate with that criteria - regardless of what the model sitting next to it does. This approach is better, as some feel, because the work of the individual model is better appreciated, than the often hack&slash approach employed in narrowing the field of a couple dozen models into only a First, Second, and Third. This spreads the "joy" - so to speak - and who's to say this is right or wrong?

Both systems have their supporters and detractors. It's like comparing the AFV Club M18 Hell Cat to the Academy M18 Hell Cat - they come in, in a dead-heat. It's ultimately up to you to decide what you're willing to accept in the kit you're gonna buy.

The same applies to a competition.

While a contest is a great place to learn and see different techniques on display, and meet people, and even learn how to judge - the one thing a competition doesn't teach you is how to win and howto lose. Why? Maybe because most spout off that it isn't about winning or losing. But, then why emphasize and give out awards?

Personally, I love looking at models - but I don't love everything I look at. Who does? The approach to judging in perpetually looking for something "wrong" to find what's "right" is what gets me down and makes a contest less-attractive. What I find I really like is separating the "competition" aspect of scale modeling from "scale modeling".

That took a long time, after being heavy into that scene. I still compete, however, from time to time, but it's knowing what the competition is all about. If I'm not up for it - then I don't do it! I certainly don't hate the players - if I hate the game. Not everything in life is about trying to prove you're the best - like YodaMan implied above.

After I learned that lesson, and divorced "competition" from "scale modeling" I began to produce work like I never had been able to before. Competition has its value and uses for promoting and furthering the art of scale modeling, but it can also become a monkey on your back that's difficult to shake off. Moderation is the key here if you get into it, as well as accepting the concept of "competition" and what that's all about.

Just sharing my perspective...

Gunnie
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
And a wonderfully refreshing perspective it is too, Gunnie! Very well said, and I can add no embellishment. Brilliant analysis!
Greg :-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
I think Shows are like anything else in life, you get out of them what you want. I have only been to one but had a great time. I am going to be entering a model June 31st and I am using it to encourage myself to do my best work. I could see how someone could take the path of the dark side (had to throw that star wars comparison in there) and go just to compete and get angry about the results, but again your getting out of it what you want when it comes right down to it. Even if I don't enter anything I will go to any shows I can because I like to see the work of others and meet others in the hobby. I am going to my first IMPS meeting next thursday and would never have known about it if I hadn't met some nice folks at the local contest.
TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
You guys gotta get to AMPS...either a regional or the big one in April. It's not cut-throat at all. You could have no medals handed out or a bunch. Lots of people to meet, lots of vendors to throw money at. It's the only contest I've ever entered...been there 5 years and came away with 2 silvers in intermediate category and one in basic (when they used to hand out more than bronzes). Basically, I just try to show up with something I think nobody else will bring.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 08:26 AM UTC
I have yet to see a model "show"!
I don't think I'll ever enter one, I would just like to see all those models. :-)

Personally, I don't care for contests, because I believe the ole adage "Any Given Sunday".
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 10:36 AM UTC
I agree with you, Gunnie. The only thing that I wish to add is, that when you see other people's models, you can really get enspired to build different things.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
i love to see the work of other modelers.its one thing that drives my own projects.
it is also human nature to have the drive to compete.maybe thats why the sports industry has gotten so out of hand.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 09:58 PM UTC
I hate the paint police at model shows. Especially when they are talking about whatifs like LUF'46.

_GOTOTOP