_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Good Airbrush?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi all! I am planning to buy a better AB this time. Can you help me out. My budget is $150 USD. What would you recommend?

Here's what I need:

-Double Action
-Bottle Fed
-Easy to disasemble and clean
-Can be used for enamels (especially Tamiya enamels)

Thanks!
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:07 PM UTC
1. What do you have now?
2. What kind of problems are you having that is causing you to need a different AB?
I have the Aztec 470 and have learned to use it with comfort. The majority of my problems were directly related to paint/thinner mix. The second cause of my problems was finding the right pressure for the particular nozzle I was using with the particular paint/thinner combination. I am now very comfortable with the paints and pressures. This learning curve would be similar for any airbrush.
capnjock
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Buy the one from Tamiya.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
I bought the Badger Anthem 155...fits all your requested categories, inexpensive I paid $80, double action, easy to clean, have never used enamels (didn't know tamiya made em) acrylics work wonderfully tho...no needles/nozles to change....thats my kinda airbrush. Hope this helps, this was a much more informative post....however every time I tried posting it chopped off half of what I wrote...so I had to edit the stupid thing to death!! Sorry
MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC
You can't go wrong with the Aztek 470 in my opinion. I'm relatively new to airbrushing, but I bought a Badger 175 Crescendo only to be frustrated by how touchy it is to get a fine, consistent mist. I picked up the Aztek, however, and I was able to do German camoflage with no problems. Get the kit with the extra nozzles if you can. AC Moore often runs good deals on these if you use thier coupons. Basically, I got those 2 brushes for the price of one at AC Moore.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 05:14 PM UTC
i also would go for the Aztec 470 that i have and is easy to use no problems and not expensive with a lot of spare parts noses and so . I also have a very expensive Graphotech AB that i almost never use, cause its more difficult and it doesnt fit good to my hand .
Before you buy open the box and grab it to see how it fits your hand buddy
Hope you make it right
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi Red
I just love my Tamiya HG-SF Superfine AB. It's great for details. Having said this, you really can't use this AB for everything. Painting large areas will take forever, you will need a second brush for this.
Good Luck!

animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Check out http://airbrushcity.com
penkala
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 214 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:44 AM UTC
animal,
very useful site thanx for sharing!
JohanW
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC

Personally I use the Badget 150 AB, I got it for some years now and have never had any problems with it. I use it mainly with Tamiya acrylic paints, but it works as fine with Humbrol or other enamel paints..
I have no problems getting the AB clean, you can take it apart very easy...

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi there

I've used a Badger Crescendo 175T for years and it's really robust and reliable.To be honest, I've treated it pretty badly, but it has never failed me.

I've just bought an Iwata Eclipse BS. I've only had a chance for a couple of test sprays, and it seems pretty amazing... :-) I doubt that it's as tough as the Badger though... so I'll have to treat it with a lot more respect.

All the best

Rowan
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
I recently bought a Paashe VLS, I don't have the skills to evaluate it yet but it seems like it will do everything I need, I was looking at a Badger but the Paashe came with a much better equipped kit and cost less than the basic double action Badger. It also came down to what my local shop carried, he only carries Badger and Paashe to make inventory easier and to avoid selling the wrong parts to people. By buying what he carries I don't have to worry about buying every little accessary I discover I "need" online, I can just hop in the car (instant gratification) I think I paid about $90 and it included hose, several bottles, a cup, 3 tips and 3 needles. It cleans up pretty easily.
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
I would suggest an Iwata Revolution or Eclipse airbrush. These are amazing airbrushes. They are available with gravity feed or bottle feed. I just got an Eclipse and am amazed with the results. These are relatively inexpensive too.

Look here if your interested: www.dixieart.com
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all! I am planning to buy a better AB this time. Can you help me out. My budget is $150 USD. What would you recommend?

Here's what I need:

-Double Action
-Bottle Fed
-Easy to disasemble and clean
-Can be used for enamels (especially Tamiya enamels)

Thanks!

==>Tamiya's HG line of airbrushes are enamel and lacquer friendly (take your pick from 3). There's the HG, the HG Super Fine and the HG Spray Gun.
==>They are double-action (unless you take out the air stop valve)
==>Though it's gravity feed,, it's still ok.
==>Take my word for it that it's easy to disassemble and clean.

Ron
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 12:00 AM UTC
It's a very "personal" issue I've got a Badger 150 and an Aztec 470 and I prefer the second one. Any chance to have try at local hobby store/friends?
Ciao
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
SHONEN,
My 1/2 cent: I've got a Badger 200. Its never let me down. I killed it in 2001 and totally rebuilt the little bugger w/ the parts that were available. I like the fact that almost all hobby shops in my area carry the parts and I have experianced great customer service from
Badger. Now they have (2) new brushes The 155 Anthem and 360 Universal that have interchangable parts, and there is no need to change needles w/ heads like in the past.
The needles are all universal for these 2 AB's and the 360 can be used w/ a color cup or a bottle and has a rotating head 360' for and feed application. Check them out.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
If I may add here's where you can buy an a/b locally (depends where you live):

Tamiya: Lil's Hobby Center -Makati and Megamall branches

Gunze (a distant cousin of Tamiya): Special Toy Center with branches in Sta. Cruz, Manla; Virra Mall; Isetann-Quiapo (the 2d floor), 2d Level Festival Mall at Alabang and another at Rustan's Cubao and Ali Mall

Badger: There are 3 art stores in downtown Manila. There's one at the corner of Quezon Blvd and Recto (fracing Isetann), there's Enriquez Art Supplies along Recto near T. Mapua St. along the movie theaters there and another (also along Recto at the U-Belt area). If my memory is right, it's St. Vincent's. They also sell compressors too. HTH
 _GOTOTOP