_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model diary, of sorts.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi. Just wondering here. On the new model I started here a few days ago I decided to write down, in something of a diary form, each and every thing I've done in building the kit each and every day that I work on it. What fun and interesting things were done to it and how they came out, what problems I ran across, both in the kit and my limited building abilities, what new things I've tried and how they turned out and if I would do them again, what subassemblies were painted first and how hard were they to assemble once they were painted, etc. Has anyone else out there tried this? I figured that this may allow me to see and more importantly, remember all problems I usually encounter along the way and to remember what NOT to do and what to do in later models.

Yeah, I'm somewhat excessive/compulsive on things. But I was just wondering if others may do this as well, so I was just checking.

Thanks and take care, sgirty
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi sgirty :-)

I never did anything like that until I joined Armorama and entered a couple of Campaigns. Keeping a journal for them looked rather daunting, but has actually been really fun. :-)

It's neat to be able to look back on how each build progressed.-)

All the best

Rowan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
I usually keep information that I want to remember on sticky notes or on a margin of the instructions. When I"m done I inlude the date I completed it.
So, loosely I keep the information.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
All of the information I need is here in Armorama. Sort of a learning diary for me. :-)
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
wow thats a good idea.....
i will keep notes on my next kit
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC
Howdy sgirty,

I may not be as " excessive/compulsive " as you on the daily note keeping style. I'm more, I suppose like slodder. I do keep notes of specific construction methods that I have either read in a kit review or come up with myself. I also make note of kit parts that are out of scale, wrong, or that would be better suited to PE or the other way around (some items just SHOULDN'T be PE, sometimes I think Eduard just comes up with stuff to fill the fret!). The only thing I've started doing on a daily basis is keeping tabs on my time spent modeling.
So I guess in a nutshell I'm somewhere between you and slodder in regards to 'note-keeping'.

Tread.

P.S. I like the idea of keeping notes on the instruction sheet margins............I'm going to steal that one slodder.
I've always been a 'neat' freak about the instruction sheet, but that makes too much sense, meaning, I won't lose the notes!!
uscusn
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hello Sgirty:
Started doing that for the first time as we speak now. I am a note taking freak and am quite amazed I haven't done this before. I usually have notes prior to building a project, but not during or at the end of the project. I have everything on every kit I have including detail and decal sets that are or no longer available. This is why I love this site, you can learn so much from others. That idea from Slodder is excellent, I keep all the instructions sheets from previous builds, and I do refer back to them on similar projects that I may be currently working on. And of top of that I am recording certain steps with my digital camera. That goes on a disc after the project is done So not only will I have a written record I will also have a visual of the project as well. Remember when this hobby was just a tube of cement, paint brushes and paint????!!!!

Chuck
Fly Navy
raycel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hello all,

I've never really thoght about "documenting" my progress on a model, but it does sound like it would add a whole new dimension to the process. I will try this diary thing on my next project.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
I do not keep a formal journal but I do two things that are close.

Like others I jot notes in the instruction margins, expecially paint substitutions..

And I have a list of Kits finished in 2003 for a couple of reasons.
First is so I can tell how much I am finishing and second is that I do not take kits to shows for more than a year. After that I should have built something new.

I am VERY tired of seeing the same old things at out New England area shows. I don't mean seeing the same thing at Patcon and then Granitecon - 1 month apart- but seeing that same German general figure on a pillar EVERY year is getting old!

I figure I'll fight that by bringing new stuff every year, and a list helps me keep track.

Mike
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
I write some notes on the margin of the plans (like color). I also keep a notebook of steps that need to be done and if there is something really critical I want to remember. That is about all. I have never developed the ability to take detailed notes of the build. Part of the reason is that after I have finished a model, I do not go over any of it. It is done. I do store the plans though. Just in case something comes up that I need to reference them. Bottom line is that I only write stuff that helps me keep track of what I am doing.
capnjock
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
Okay - I'll come clean...

I qualify for "obsessive-compulsive". I've got notes and build-up information circa 1985 and forward. I keep quite detailed notes and information (and now a website) on the subjects I model. I even keep stats and information on model contest events I've entered and the results - though I don't attend contests regularly anymore.

All of this has focused my modeling efforts considerably - to the point where I feel I obtain consistent results with the models I build - which was one goal I set for myself when I set out to build models seriously. If I were only doing this casually then I'd probably not keep up such a regimen - it wouldn't be fun. But, I'm used to it now - even a "weekender" gets some notes and a little file somewhere in the cabinet...

Gunnie
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hey, of course I have a journal. But I call it a "Log Book"

I just write down the
Date Started
Time
Kit name
Manufacturer
Scale
Date/time completed.

It is also an incentive to work.

~Chip :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
I have done this myself on several occasions. Usually when I know I want to write up an article I'll keep daily notes or when I'm building a kit for a company for review.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:31 AM UTC
I've never done this before, but what a great idea. I love the "notes on the instruction sheet" method, and will start doing that immediately. It will especially be helpful in remembering paint used, percentages mixed, etc. Terrific.

Mike

_GOTOTOP