_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The best and worst modeling stories
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
I am posting this to find out about your best and worst modeling stories. This may entail the hazards and or funny stories you may have. let's get started with a story that a friend of mine once told me. He was building a 1/32nd revel F-4 phantom and while he was gluing the two half's of his fuselage with super glue his cat jumped off the cabinet and on to his work space, in the process the cat dumped his full bottle of super glue all over everything as well as half the bottle was (while wearing shorts) on his legs and crouch! A very painful moment for him and the cat!
Thanks

retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hard to top a story like that. I would have sold the cat to a Chinese restaurant. My modeling disaster was when I took a cast (Hydrocal) diorama to show and tell. Every one thought it was great. Felt pretty good about that. Placed it on the car seat for the trip home and sure enough had to stop short to avoid an accident. My cast dio was now in about eight pieces. Thank God for super glue. The actual cracks and the molded cracks blend together quite well. Lesson learned..........DO NOT PLACE MODELS ON THE CAR SEAT.......................Al
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:34 AM UTC
i remember when i was younger, i was working on building an early 60s corvette. applying spray paint while outdoors. whats the worst that could happen....model falls off of the stick i was holding it with into the dirt. awesome time
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Not too long ago, I was slicing through some sprue with a #1 wood carving blade. Guess where this is going.... And one fateful swipe stuck the blade through my finger and into the bone. I no long use that blade for sprue work and, after a few colorful adjetives, actually tossed the blood sacrifice in the garbage imediately. The kit turned out great, by the way.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
This one will come with photos later this week hopefully and it may even become a future project. . . .
When I was 16 I got my first Tamiya Merkava. Remeber the kit had only been out for a year or so. The Mk II's were just starting to be seen and very little had been published. The BEST pics to be had were from the old Tank Magazine. Having bought the kit from the guy at the hobby shop he threw in a few extras, namely some B&W photo copies of the Mk II. I decided that I was going to "go for it" and scratch the additional parts. Just to review, I have a kit, a poor photocopy, a box full of xacto knives and not enough common sense to know any better.
I start with the old kit removing things and making things up from what ever material I can scrounge. Plastic card, strip, rod, whatever. I manage to re work the bustle rack, add the mortar launcher and add the additional armour paltes to the turret. I finally get my hands on a copy of Tank Magazine, that has some nice Mk II photos, only to realize the side skirts are different too. So I figure out how big (approx) the skirts need to be and begin scratching them.
Here comes the funny part, I still have no real reference, am 1/2 way into this build and committed now to doing a Mk II and realize that I really have no idea what it is that I am really doing. The kit sits in a box, still uncompleted and now there are several Mk II kits and aftermarket additions. I am still going to complete this kit someday, but am now freaked out that I have screwed this thing beyond all fixing. This kit is still the reason I build and still haunts me. Cheers.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:32 PM UTC
Back in the eighties before "aftermarket" I had to buy five different sherman kits to make a passable early M4. Everything was hand painted set it on top of the waterheater to let dry. Came back in the morning only to have a melted piece of tank.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not too long ago, I was slicing through some sprue with a #1 wood carving blade. Guess where this is going.... And one fateful swipe stuck the blade through my finger and into the bone. I no long use that blade for sprue work and, after a few colorful adjetives, actually tossed the blood sacrifice in the garbage imediately. The kit turned out great, by the way.

Glad the kit turned out ok.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
I've learned not to catch scalpels as they slide off the desk!

I've also replaced ALL my sharps with Swan-Mortons' Moulded plastic handles.

Another tip is to go to your local pre-schoolers shop & get some of the chunky grips that help little hands hold pencils..... but that might just be my age.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
Years ago I was building a T34/85. It was the first kit I had ever used aftermarket PE on and I had done it up with the Aber set. Being new at PE
I felt obligated to use every single piece. Model completed and painted, I applied a wash. Wanting it to dry quickly I had a 100 watt litebulb in a flood fixture that I was holding just above the model......after all, I could control it by moving closer or further. Well, within about 15 seconds at approx. 10 inches from the T-34/85 ( a lot shorted than I anticipated) the plastic started pulling away from the PE grills and the turret ring started to distort. I pulled the light away before the model was completely ruined but the left side rear deck was pretty obviously distorted.
I learned two things from this incident:
1) Patience to let things dry in their own time.
2) How to make a tarp from tissue paper (something had to cover up my mishap)
C.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
My story is pretty simple. A few years ago I bought my condo. It was carpeted wall to wall in a perfect match for Dragon grey. I do a little extra scratch building now a days. Tom
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My story is pretty simple. A few years ago I bought my condo. It was carpeted wall to wall in a perfect match for Dragon grey. I do a little extra scratch building now a days. Tom

I love carpets, they are very relaxing.

Anyways, I find I do most of my drops between my legs. Since then, I will prop the model box top on my lap and I get ~%90 of most drops.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC
Light can do you in!

Light did me in, too. Built one of those tiny 1/35 Renault UE kits with the German rocket (wurframen) mounted on top - did a lot of scratch work, did a pretty spiffy and neat paint job, and entered it into a couple of shows last year... It won some prizes and so I figured I would photo it and post it HERE. So I set my SLR on the tripod, set up the photo lamps, arranged the neutral backdrops and set the kit in place. I turned on the lamps, got behind the ol' camera, and click click click! Each few frames I would move the kit around for a different angle... After several passes, I saw an amazing thing happening in the view-finder... a strange white bubble blowing up from a couple of those rocket boxes on the top! Even as I watched, all the rockets and boxes started puffing up and growing. I managed to get the lights turned off soon enough to save the vehicle, but it's now an empty rocket carrier...!

I've attached the last frame I took - caught that bubble starting on top - I didn't SEE it at that time, though. I went on to frame-up the next shot... then I DID see...

Bob

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
I guess about 20 years ago or so I was working on a model using super glue and accelrator...anyways accelrator back then was a different beast then it is today...it used to set up CA nearly instantaniously and generated a lot of heat in doing so from the chemical reaction.

Well I was using large amount of CA (I might have been even just playing with it to see what it would do with accelrator..I was a teenager at the time) and applied some of the Accelrator...I was watching the chemical reaction, then all of a sudden a part of the super glue goes airborne from the reaction and lands in my eye! Lucky for me I was wearing contacts and it landed on the contact..so instead of a ruined eye, I only had a ruined contact!

Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Well gentlemen now that I have your attention lol, here is my story.
It was in the late 80's and if you guys can remember that far back, dremel had put out some saw attachments for the dremel moto-tool. Well these saw blades were smaller versions of the table saw style. So anyway I was using my dremel saw to cut a thick piece of evergreen plastic for a diorama I was building when all of a sudden the saw blade bit and my dremel tool was jerked out of my hand and proceeded to move across the diorama destroying everything in its path! In a panic state I tried to turn it off by pulling the cord out of the wall socket! While trying to do so, still running and reaking havoc all over my table I felt an excruciating pain like nothing I felt before! The saw came off the table and into my leg, inner thigh to be exact! My gf at that time came running into the room of horror! It look like I had cut my leg off she said because there was so much loss of blood. She rushed me to the er to get stitched up! Doctors tol me that after all my trauma I loss 2 units of blood, came dangerously close to the femoral artery and needed 12 stitches. To this day I have never used the dremel saw blade attachments for anything! The modeling gods and my guarding angel were looking out for me!!!
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
Who would have thought this is a dangerous hobby. I'm wearing my hard hat safety glasses and steel toe shoes from now on.......... ...............Al ..............PS ....and I do remember the eighties and the seventies and the sixties and the fifties. I'm soooo tired!!!!!!!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who would have thought this is a dangerous hobby. I'm wearing my hard hat safety glasses and steel toe shoes from now on.......... ...............Al ..............PS ....and I do remember the eighties and the seventies and the sixties and the fifties. I'm soooo tired!!!!!!!

Well, joking aside it could be dangerous if you are inexpert.
I have a pale scar on my left thumb which reminds me to be very careful when I deal with blades.
I was very young and I was removing I don't remember what from a sprue. Instead of using a X acto cutter I was using a huge upholsterer cutter ( !!)... I don't remember how, I lost control of the tool and I cut deeply my finger Suddenly because of the pain, I became to shake my hands squirting my blood all over the place...

....It looked a little bit gruesome my plane spotted with blood...

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well gentlemen now that I have your attention lol, here is my story.
It was in the late 80's and if you guys can remember that far back, dremel had put out some saw attachments for the dremel moto-tool. Well these saw blades were smaller versions of the table saw style. So anyway I was using my dremel saw to cut a thick piece of evergreen plastic for a diorama I was building when all of a sudden the saw blade bit and my dremel tool was jerked out of my hand and proceeded to move across the diorama destroying everything in its path! In a panic state I tried to turn it off by pulling the cord out of the wall socket! While trying to do so, still running and reaking havoc all over my table I felt an excruciating pain like nothing I felt before! The saw came off the table and into my leg, inner thigh to be exact! My gf at that time came running into the room of horror! It look like I had cut my leg off she said because there was so much loss of blood. She rushed me to the er to get stitched up! Doctors tol me that after all my trauma I loss 2 units of blood, came dangerously close to the femoral artery and needed 12 stitches. To this day I have never used the dremel saw blade attachments for anything! The modeling gods and my guarding angel were looking out for me!!!

you know... I was actually wondering is this story would pop up again. When I read the title it reminded me of the first time it was posted in a similar topic (long time back and it made me winge then... And funnily enough it had the same effect reading it just now. I couldn't remember though to who it had happened. But now I know.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
Yea guys, ha ha I still have the scare/battle wound to prove it even though in time it has gotten smaller. Lol I don't know about you guys, but even though it was a horrifying experience back then, I have to laugh about it now thinking wow, omg or even holy sh.t I just seen my life flash before me!
I guess its just me after all said and done I laugh at danger saying to myself what the hell was I thinking ha ha ha!
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
hi , for me it was a winters day , getting ready for a show I placed my completed diorama on the top of the wheelie bin , turned to the workshop to get next model out . Wind caught diorama and it was smashed on the floor . Too many parts disapeared , so it was binned there and then.
Next was to turn up at model show with diorama bases and nothing to put on them , I left the models in a box on my bench outside workshop . Lucky they were still there when we returned 3 days later .
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
Here are those pictures I promised, enjoy, the laughs are on me this weekend boys. . . .

Reference Material Part 1

reference Material Part 2

What I did

and the other side

The turret additional armour

and the left side

The modified bustle rack

and the "ball and chain"

Close up of the "ball and chain" armour.

Hope this adds a couple of laughs for the weekend. Cheers.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC
i was drilling a wooden base using my dremel, and when the bit went through the base, the bit also went completely through my finger! through one side and out the finger nail! luckily missed the bone, didn't hurt much, and suprisingly didnt bleed!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 11:29 PM UTC
Drills through fingers, Dremel saw attachments cutting into legs... Thinking about from a fresh perspective, I guess my few knife slips aren't that big a deal after all...

My last one was probably the worst so far (just hope it remains that). I was preparing some sprue for stretching, scraping off the mould seam with a hobby knife. I was holding the sprue in my left hand, holding it between the thumb and middle finger, scraping parallel to my arm. And then, I have absolutely no idea how, I managed to cut into my left middle finger. I'm still puzzled how the cut ended up perpendicular, across the finger.
Needless to say, I got up rather quickly and rushed for the medicine cabinet, while spewing out some very colorful language and getting blood spatters on my workbench, pants, floor and even on the wall.

As the wound healed and the finger nail grew, I was surprised to see how forceful that accidental cut had been, the knife had all but silced through the nail. Here's a pic, taken when changing the bandage for the first time. I'd say it's a day or two after the accident, can't remember exactly: --click--
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC
@ Eetu
I checked the picture and the odd thing is I have exactly such a scar. Pretty much the same length, The same direction but it missed the nail by a mm. and it is on my left indexfinger. Tried to cut a rifle off a sprue and was very impatience. So I figured double the force is double the speed. It certainly doubled the blood when the knife slipped and ripped through my finger
Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC
I'd just finished a 1/48th Tamiya sherman and had placed the turret to one side before attaching it to the hull. I had just finished using some cotton ear-buds to buff the metal parts on the tools when I knocked over the super glue on to a pile of unused buds. And well... if anyone has ever seen what happens when cyanoacrylate and cotton come in to contact you can guess what happened next.

To those who haven't This should give you an idea

The end result was that the turret was pretty badly melted on one side and couldn't really be used. The kits still in its box waiting for me to do anything about it.

Still, taught me to keep the glue away from the cotton

Anirudh
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 - 01:57 AM UTC

Humbrol liquid glue with brush applicator. The brush is a separate part but sometimes it happens that it sticks to the bottle cap.

The accident as I reconstructed later: I was opening the bottle and removing the cap, and didn't notice that the brush was coming off with it. As I lifted the cap I also moved it to sideways, this caused the brush to slide on the inside of the bottle neck. There must had been a little tension built up because when the brush reached the end of the bottle it whipped, sending a few drops of glue in to the air... and into my right eye. It was very painful (like burning) and I was frightened that I would lose my sight. I started washing it with water and after a few minutes I could open my eyes and there was no problem with it, except that I had a very unpleasant dry feeling in my eyeball for a few days.

I think most of these stories tell the same lesson for us, the biggest dangers come from the tools and materials that we use everyday. We just get used to them and totally forget how dangerous they can be.
 _GOTOTOP