_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What do you do with your unused kit bits?
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 01:06 PM UTC
I've only started models within the last 2 years but recently I noticed not only a collection of kits, but also a collection of boxes from previous projects, and unused pieces still on their sprues.

How do you guys organize your spares?

I'm thinking of going to Canadian Tire and picking up one of those shelving units with all the small drawers, usually used for screws, bolts, etc. But I'm unsure as to how I will organize all the bits.

By: - color? (might also end up being by manufacturer to an extent)
- use (engine, hatches, tools etc.)

A combination of the two?

Or does someone else have another system, ie shape? I've seen some creative things built with random bits (Sheperd Paine's how to build dioramas shows a nice water pump made from a few bits and pieces from the chassis of a truck and some other things).

What do you do?
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 01:20 PM UTC
I build 98% WWII Armor so I keep my spare stuff in the old box by nationality, German, Russian, US, then I also keep the figures separated that way as well.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I place my spare bits and pieces in large zip seal plastic bags. In the bag I also place a part of the original box showing the manufacturer, name of the kit, kit number, etc. to make it easy to identify the pieces. I also put any spare decals from the kit in the bag as well. The bags I place in a storage box.

I also use one of the nut and bolt bins with the separate drawers for things like jerry cans, bed rolls and tarps, small arms and other such items that do not need to be specifically separated and labeled like specific vehicle parts do. I just separate them as per country; Germany, U.S., France, etc.

I like to keep my spare items for scratch building, kit bashing, replacement parts, etc. I also keep them in case there is someone looking for a specific piece for a kit they are working on.

Randy
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:15 PM UTC
I buy Planters dry roasted peanuts in the big square plastic jars. I saved 4 of them and washed them out. I always cut all the spare parts off the sprue, throw out the sprue, and break down the box and put it in the recycling bin. The leftover parts go into the jars by Axis, Allied, Modern, and Figures/Gear. The jars go under my desk.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:36 PM UTC
Cool, thanks guys!

The jar idea sounds cool!

Country would be easy as well.

I'm thinking I'll put them in similar bins by what they actually are ie, hatches, figure stuff, equipment, wheels, etc. etc. and then label the columns of the "shelves" by Country.

That way there might be 3-4 "wheel" bins, but each would be for a corresponding country.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 07:34 PM UTC
The small parts bins are a great way to go IMO.

I have a number of those "small drawer units" - I organize most of the more-likely useful bits (road wheels, tools, gas cans, boxes, tool-holders, hull lights and lamps, gun barrels, hull fixtures (tow hooks, etc.) - by vehicle type and sometimes marks. So, for example, I have a bin of spare Pz. IV sprockets and idlers, another f roa wheels for same, another for Flak 38 parts, etc.

Most of these parts are either off the sprue or, if tiny (like spare wing-nuts and bolts and stuff), on clipped sections of sprues in the bins.

I have one kit box that holds the bigger bits- couple of spare hulls, turrets, etc. There are not enough of these to separate by type- I can just burrow in and root around in the midden!

PE spares and as-yet un-used sets and frets go ino a couple of flat drawers labeled for general type - I have several Pz III derivatives: all Pz III-related PE get a drawer. Pz. 38(t) stuff in another, German armored cars stuff in another, etc.

Make the labels large as possible and things are generally pretty easy to find.

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
I cut down the sprues and put them into a big box. I organize them by the types of pieces they are. i.e. tools, running gear, weapons, other stowage.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
I have a computer paper box filled with ziplocs of spare aromor parts and stash the instructions for future assembly help for the multi piece or bigger items...toss a post it in the baggy for reference as to what they are or where they came from. Same set up for the car and semi truck parts and just started one for the Sci-Fi stuff{shoe box}.
Keeping the destructions helps out others too if they get a kit{swap meet/ebay} that doesn't have them.......
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 05:10 AM UTC
I used to trim all of the parts from the sprues.

However, I find that if I want a let's say Pv IV engine hatch, it is much easier to look for the Pz IV sprue and find the hatch than searching through a bunch of small parts.

I will keep parts I have already cut in a jar though.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
I have several large bins, like 2'x2'x4' that are labeled; aircraft,armor, cars, ships, misc. etc. When I have stuff left over or destroyed kits, they go into their respective bins. Makes for one hell of a spare parts box(s) and provides tons of greeblies for my sci-fi builds. Just spent the better part of yesterday adding stuff to them. Almost time to buy another bin....or build one giant sci-fi ship to make some space in the other bins. "Q"
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hey guys being we are talking spare parts here I'm looking for a Commander Copula for a PzIII can anybody help me out with that
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
actually i'm incredibly untidy

A HUGE box...

cheers
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi I sort out by type ie russian trucks , russian tanks etc and store them in multi bin units . Some of the parts i know i will never use ie internals sections . I sell at model shows . I have at the moment 2 sets of Panzer IV turret internals to sell next weekend at Perth IPMS Scotland Nationals show . cheers ian
ColonelKFChicken
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 09:03 PM UTC
I keep them on the sprue in old kit boxes. can tell the parts by sprue colour.
the reason I keep sprue is for "stretching" ( the procees of softening plastic with heat) its a good way to build replacement parts for lost bits or scratch building. i use a ciggrette lighter or candle. and then gently stretch the sprue to thickness.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 767 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
I keep the extra parts in old kit boxes. The leftover sprue I send to captfue, he melts it down and sculpts figures out of it.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
I use to separate everything in an organizer box with many small drawers. Now , I keep it pretty simple. Airplane parts in one shoe box, all others in another shoe box. Works for me.......................
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hello All,
I send all of my old spruce to Anthony(captfue) who uses's them to makes them into figures, cannons,ETC. He has stopped buying kits years ago, so I send him what all of my old spruce.
I keep the parts I do not use. To me why take up limited room when I can buy more kits.
If interested in sending him your spruce scraps, I have his address.
Cheers,
Bruce
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
Keep all the spare parts that you don't use and then every so often build yourself a what-if vehicle. Not only does it use up spare parts but helps when you have a builders block.
Cheers
Robbo
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC
I used to use the spare par bins from Canadian Tire, but now all my spares, and tools and other useful stuff are organised like so:

Most of my spare bits are in teh grey boxes on teh wall and they're all sorted by purpose: Tracks, roadwheels, drop tanks, engines, Misc small armour spares, Axis small arms, etc. They also hold many of my tools, things like MV lenses, Grant line bolt & rivets, wire stock, lead foil, hemostats, clamps, etc.

I have four stacks of large-bin plastic cabinets for my resin aftermarket accessories, again sorted by purpose.

My "spares box" has parts in it from kits I built before I was a teenager which I then broke down in my 20s & 30s into useful bits and shapes for future models. Nothing ever gets thrown out.

:)

Paul
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 04:50 PM UTC
@ Sal: cant help you with that cupola buddy.

@ Jaredt: I do probably the same as everyone else, but I save some sprue to stretch into anntanes, and other items. The rest of the spure is placed into a glass jar that has old liqiud glue to make my own liquid plastic for filling holes where putty does not do the job.

Bob
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
i have two of the small bin cabinents for spares and small paint bottle storage. i also have a satchel type storage bin with different size bins. i use this satchel for storage during a build, like a 3 in one type kit. this way all extra parts go in as needed, and it removes all doubt as to what part is being used correctly.

good thread here gang!
reb
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 02:41 PM UTC
I cut the pieces from the sprues and bag them in ziplocs by kit. I leave the instructions with the bags so that I know what I'm looking at. I like to save the box tops as well, so I just fold them flat and keep them in a file box.

Those plastic vertical organizers are actually pretty handy and not a bad way to go. Just make sure that you don't get the type with individual trays if you are leaving the pieces loose because they will be all over the place if it falls over.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
Easy - I throw them away.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've only started models within the last 2 years but recently I noticed not only a collection of kits, but also a collection of boxes from previous projects, and unused pieces still on their sprues.

I'm thinking of going to Canadian Tire and picking up one of those shelving units with all the small drawers, usually used for screws, bolts, etc. But I'm unsure as to how I will organize all the bits.

By: - color? (might also end up being by manufacturer to an extent)
- use (engine, hatches, tools etc.)

A combination of the two?

Or does someone else have another system, ie shape? I've seen some creative things built with random bits (Sheperd Paine's how to build dioramas shows a nice water pump made from a few bits and pieces from the chassis of a truck and some other things).

What do you do?

I use Sterilite containers. London Drugs is a good source.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Easy - I throw them away.

If you're just going to throw yours away Bill, you may want to consider just keeping everything in a little box and passing them on to a club member or something.
 _GOTOTOP