_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What do you do with your unused kit bits?
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
I went to the local ACE HARDWARE store and got two small parts cabnets with the indeviduel parts drawers took the parts off the sprues put all the like parts together. worked out real good ACESES5
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
Jeredt,
I use one of those units with the small drawers for equipment and weapons for figures. Somewhere along the line a couple of drawers began holding various types of jerry cans.

Most of my spares go into standard kit boxes from assembled kits. I've found that these are easy to look through for parts when needed. The trick is not to let them get too full. They use to be organized. I cleaned them out a while back and managed to consolidate several. So they are a bit jumbled. I do keep armor separated from aircraft. I plan on eventually replacing the kit boxes with the flat storage units like Paul uses.

For sprues of parts (thanks Dragon) I'll place them in Ziploc bags based on their type (STuG, Pzr4, M113, etc.). I put these and larger parts like hulls in a larger cardboard box.

My last box is a shoe box that I put all my unused tracks in...both vinyl and sprues of individual tracks. For the individual link sprues I use rubber bands to keep sets together.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 03:13 AM UTC
As a fisherman I had all kinds of plastic tackle orginizers with adjustable size compartments .They work sweet!You can fit a boatload of stuff in them,and they don't take up much space.Plano and other fishing gear companies make them.I like the 3700 series,as they are a little bigger.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
I use those plastic flat multi-compartment storage boxes from the dollar stores - they are kind of like cheap tackle boxes. I organize them in a sensible manner, ie: individual figures, Axis/Allied weapons and equipment, jerry cans, stowage, industrial elements, dio accessories, etc. Bigger extras like the hulls you get in DML boxes go in kit boxes in the drawer. I also put new figures in boxes too - easier to hide from the girl, hee hee. I keep the figure boxes flat in a filing cabinet for painting reference.
 _GOTOTOP