_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Using a library for research
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC
Have you guys ever used a library as a means of researching? I am sure you have, but as I am still somewhat new to being a student again, I just rediscovered ILL, which is short for Inter-Library Loan. This system allows libraries everywhere to share their books accross the country so that they are accessible to everyone.

I have been able to get a number of technical manuals, student manuals, and repair manuals for the Abrams (which some of you might know that I am trying to build a good one) plus I just got a treat. I found a couple copies of R.P. Hunnicutts Abrams books as well as a sherman one, all of which are on their way as we speak. With my scanner handy, I plan on spending a great deal of time scanning these resources so I can go back and view them later. That is not to say I will scan everything, just what I need, which is fully legal under one copy laws. Have you guys ever found some gems at the local library? Anyone have a tip for using this resource?

Rob
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
Rob,

Thanks for the post. It has been 20 years since I was in college and completely forgot about ILL. I'll have to check if the local library offers that service. I am pretty sure it is just a college type deal but it is worth a shot. I did use the Army official histories of WW2 a lot for historical reference while I was at Purdue. They have great maps.

Shaun
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hi Rob
We have that same system here in New Zealand but i don't think it is cross country i think it is with in a certain area.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
I use the ILL system from our public library quite frequently. It only costs a dollar per book. I have also gotten video's the same way. Nice system.
capnjock
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC
I usually have three or four books out at any one time. It is a very valuable resource.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm lucky in that my local library has quite a decent selection of military and aviation books, including stuff that's out of print. Although I love buying reference books, I always check the local library first. :-)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP