_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Towing Cable Replacement
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC
Sorry guys but another question. Tell me if this would be feasible for replacing the towing cable on a tank. Take an appropriate length of seven strand copper wire and thread it through a short length of tubing (preferrably something soft) thats approx twice the diameter of the wire. Once the wire is threaded through the tube, loop it back onto itself to make a small loop and thread the free end back into the tube so it just sticks out the bottom. Now the tube can be crimped at the ends to secure the cable. Just haven't figured out how to make the thimble for the loop yet.

Any suggestions or better ideas?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
Firstly, no need to be sorry for asking questions, it's what keeps us coming back here. Besides, soon all those questions will result in making Lieuee! and than some. :-)
Sounds like a very feasible idea! Hmmm, what to use for the collar??? If you can find some heavier gauge wire, a single strand, flaten it with a hammer on a metal surface. Any flat lite-weight metal will do so long as you can cut it and wrap it around the "cable" to form a collar.
Did the kit come with anything which resembles the cable ends? If so, you can use them with some heavy thread or string. just glue them onto the string.
PS: If using copper wire be sure to scuff it a little with sand paper or anything suitable so that the paint will stick to it better. Gives it a surface to bite onto.
Hope this helps.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
I use two methods for replacing my cables. 1. I cut the ends off of the kit provided cable and drill a hole in the end with a dremel. Then I use .20 thousandths safety wire (phone wire/speaker wire) and spin two or three strands together with safety wire plyers (Aviation tool). Then use super glue to secure the cable to the tow ring. 2. I do the same with the provided kit and safety wire, then with out drilling, smooth the end out with a file, glue the cable on, let it set some, then take a small piece of electrical wire shrink wrap and slide it up to the end where the cable and tow ring meet. Heat the shrink wrap and "viola" a nice looking tow cable. Hope that helps.
Chris (Tiger 1) Carney.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:08 AM UTC
I used to use picture hanging wire found pre-wrapped in a roll from the local Wal-Mart-type store. Then I found this elastic stuff at the craft store. Just like the stuff some clothing hang tags are on, or connect shoes at the less expensive shoe stores. Works good and has a fine enough weave to look better than plastic.

A word of caution when replicating cable, that stuff does not bend in the least bit and is a b*tch to remount on the turret once you take it off. So when modeling it, don't add droop or other rope-like qualities.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC
I recommend trying nylon string for replacing your Tow Cable. Easier to use than braided wire and can be painted and weathered just as nicely - and is more malleable. You can loop the ends if you wish, I make a collar out of foil when I do, or you can drill out the collets of plastic eyes supplied in the kit.

Jim
http://www.guntruck.com
 _GOTOTOP