_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Wrestling with Resin..Advice Please!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi All.. Im about to embark on my first ever resin conversion kit and am hoping for all and any advice possible. Im adding a couple of pictures and hope to get help. First off ,How would you remove the parts from the sprues in this case? Also you can see the windshield and flash. How would this be handled? I do realize the fine sanding involved and wear a mask! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.. On another front..has anyone ever inserted a pin in a superglue nozzle and melted it down with a lighter to stem the flow? Sort of like I did as a kid on Halloween to shaving cream to get more distance? Thanks all..Advice here is a Godsend!

Thankyou, John
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
You will need a razor saw and some very sharp xacto knifes. a couple of jewelers files will come in handy. A small vise would be nice also. The main thing is to carefully cut the parts from the sprue with the saw blade. Be very careful because resin is very brittle and breaks easy. As far as the flash on the inside of the windshield use a very sharp xacto blade and score lightly around the windshield. Don't try to cut through the flash in one pass. Make a few passes. You know already to wear a mask and some eye protection while working with resin. On some small parts where a saw blade can't be used, you will need to scour the parts with the knife. Again making several passes to seperate the part from the sprue. Never get in a hurry when working with resin. Sand lightly on the delicate parts. MAKE sure you dry fit all parts before glueing them together. I like to use the thicker CA glue with a longer setting time the the instant thinner CA glues. Don't let the resin frustrate you. If a piece becomes difficult, put it down and relax. Count to 10 or what ever works to relax you. Once you have a break form the project go back at it. Like I said earlier take your time and dry fit everthing first
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi John

I agree with Animal and would just add that, wherever possible, I always try to wet-sand resin.

I tape a piece of wet&dry abrasive paper to a ceramic tile (or anything flat, that can stand water) and place it in a shallow bowl of water. The water traps the resin dust, so a mask is less important, and it also helps keep the wetndry from clogging.

To help sand parts evenly, I use a "figure of 8" pattern, reversing the direction for each pass.
Work slowly and steadily and check your progress regularly.

All the best

Rowan
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi John,

If you have a motor tool (dremel,proxxon,...) and a steady hand , you can attach a cutting disc to the motor tool and gently saw of the carrier. Handy in this case is a swivel vise .
In this case you need to wear a mask, but is a fast way to get the carrier of.
Oh yes, this is only a good solution for big parts and/or large carriers.

Kris
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC
I think animal has summed this up nicely - if you follow his advice you will not go wrong. Instead of using a saw at times (to prevent dust) I just whittle away at the resin with a sharp blade till I get rid of the excess. As animal says take your time, once resin parts break, especially small ones, they are a devil to repair cleanly.

Lee
 _GOTOTOP