_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Non Toxic Cement
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
Any good non toxic cement out there? When I got back into modeling I used some liquid cement called Pro Weld. I wasn't impressed. It didn't smell too bad but it didn't seem to hold very well either. I switched to testors liquid cement, with the brush, and it holds fine. The thing is though I get a headache after only an hour or so using it, and this is with the windows opened and keeping the jar closed unles actually using it. I've seen the non toxic Testors in a black tube thingy with a long applicator but, after doing a search on this site, somebody said they had heard that this glue didn't stay glued very long. Has anybody experienced this for themselves? Any good suggestions for non toxic cement that will actually WORK and not give you a headache?
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
I use the testors and have no problem with it, As far as long term ..I have just gotten back in after a while myself. Models I did are still together from a few years back using the same glue,though.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:27 PM UTC
I have made the problem disappear completly. I use superglue to bond all my parts together. It works fine, and you can quickly move on. If you have a dollar store nearby you can score some there.

Thats where I get mine!

~Chip :-)
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC
The Non-Toxic Testors works pretty good in most cases, it does have a limited shelf life, though. As it gets older, its ability to "weld" the styrene becomes reduced. I got about 2 years of use out of my bottle before I noticed it being less effective, YMMV.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
Thanks to all.

PP, thanks to your input I picked up a bottle Monday. Now if I ever get the time to work on models again with the disaster of remodeling going on I'll try it out.

Chip, as a matter of fact I saw three packs of super glue at a new dollar store Monday. Super glue and I aren't the best of friends though I guess I have to learn how to use it properly.

Twisted, if I don't use a tube up in 2 years I'm in the wrong hobby.

airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC
I use the black bottle stuff al the time,that what most of my models have been glued together with,and I have some models my dad built,that have lasted 10 years!Also,since most of my older "models" were more toys than actual models and played with continuosly,they have more wear and tear than shelf models,and nothing that I've built has fallen apart! I don't know about styrene tho,
 _GOTOTOP