_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Brand loyalty
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
There are a lot of companies out there now, I am familiar with some but have never heard of many. I've always been happy with Tamiya, Hasegawa and Fugimi. Revell / Monogram, AMT / Ertl, Dragon and Italeri have also generally been good, they typically are not as nice as the Japanese kits but they are cheeper so it doesn't bother me.

Anyone have suggestions for companies they find are consistantly good or are a good value. Any warnings for companies that tend to put out poor quality kits. Please explain why (good value, poor quality, lots of prep work but good if you don't mind the extra work etc)

I'm primarily interested in plastic kits but please feel free to mention metal, resin or other types of kits if you feel the company should be mentioned, never know when I might try something other than plastic.
Thanks
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi Aaron

I'd add Eduard to your list of good companies. Their newer releases include etched metal and painting-masks as standard and represent great vaue for money.

Eduard's transformation from an accessories & short-run kit producer to a "major" is extraordinary.

All the best

Rowan
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC
Airfix kits can be good, especially the newer ones. I've got the 1/48 Jaguar GR3A on the "waiting to be built" pile and although lacking the detailed cockpit you would expect from Japanese models it looks pretty impressive and there are enough aftermarket accessories available if needed. I've heard ICM kits can be hit and miss. I usually do a search on Modeling Madness for a review before buying any kit from a manufacturer I've never had experience of.
Martin
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
New comapny Tristar have had nothing but good reviews since day one for all thier kits ..... only german so far. Trumpeter have started of to mixed press but have vastly improved with their latest kits. Trumpeter is a good bit cheaper than tamiya and dragon as well ... more in the line with Italeri. Some very unusual kits as well whick is good to get away from german panzers for a while! AFV have some top kits also ..... lots of fiddely parts but great models they do make!
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
How are the kits coming out of Eastern Europe, they seem to offer some unusual vehicles.

Never mind I just saw the post on the "old Eastern Block" kits.

Thanks for the tips.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC
The only brand loyalty I have is to Humnbrol paints. As to kits, I buy what I am intrested in. Tamiya, DML, AFV, Academy all produce good models. Alan and Marquette produce kits that no one else do and can be made into good looking models.

I do prefer Tamiya.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
I've always been abig Monogram/Revell fan, especially since it always seems that I'm on a budget. Hasegawa and Tamiya do great stuff, but are usually out of my reach unless Hobby Lobby is having their half-price sale.

On my current ban list is HobbyCraft - I picked up their A-10 and it was so bad I wouldn't even consider going throught the trouble of building it for my five-year-old son to play with. Right now it would take a couple of great reviews, a personal testimony, and probably a sneak peek inside the box of a specific kit in order for me to consider another HobbyCraft kit. That's why it's so important for these companies to be consistent in their products - give me a stinker, and I'll always question the quality of their kits.
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are a lot of companies out there now, I am familiar with some but have never heard of many. I've always been happy with Tamiya, Hasegawa and Fugimi. Revell / Monogram, AMT / Ertl, Dragon and Italeri have also generally been good, they typically are not as nice as the Japanese kits but they are cheeper so it doesn't bother me.

Anyone have suggestions for companies they find are consistantly good or are a good value. Any warnings for companies that tend to put out poor quality kits. Please explain why (good value, poor quality, lots of prep work but good if you don't mind the extra work etc)

I'm primarily interested in plastic kits but please feel free to mention metal, resin or other types of kits if you feel the company should be mentioned, never know when I might try something other than plastic.
Thanks

Academy is also good and also the price is affordable, I can compare it to the leading Japanese brands for the quality. And we must put a review board which brand is good & bad because we are spending time & money for our hobby. And if the model company can improve thier quality of products much better for us not to spend for the after market items which is sometime almost the same price of the model.
 _GOTOTOP