_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bullet Holes
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi! I want to know what should I do with bullet holes if the gun is a high/ Armor piercing type and the holes are fresh. Now what do I do with the hole? Should I just paint it silver/ paint chipping around the sides of the hole or should I put some red paint to make it look red hot?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
I can't say for certain because I have never seen a fresh hole made by an AT round (and hope I never do) but, I would think the hole would be very dark grey or black (scorched). There is a lot of heat involved when you slam two pieces of metal together (see friction welding link below) and I doubt the end result would be anywhere near a bare steel color. Like I said, probably a scorched black. As for the "glowing" red paint, I think that would be extremely difficult to pull off.

http://www.thompson-friction-welding.co.uk/proc.html

HTH

Shaun
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:25 AM UTC
Id go for a more mid to dark grey as keenan says the heat will take away any shine and some metal particles will burn alloy shavings do btw so you have the choice its your kit
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
First, "red hot" metal doesn't stay that way for long without the infusion of more heat. The heat will be transferred to the air and the surrounding metal very quickly. Also, when it it heated to red, the color takes on an almost transluscent quality, it's literally glowing. That will be very hard to accomplish in miniature. Simply painting it red won't do. Test red or orange clear paints over a white background, that may get you close.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
A little trick that I use for bullet holes is the add a masking material in a jagged circle over the primer and base coat paint. I use a hot pin to puncture the plastic at the angle of penitration. I then remove the masking to show a small irregular round hole showing the primer paint and raggid eges of the base color. I use a thined rust wash over the hole. After the wash is dry I use a clear flat that I brus on to remove a little of the rust wash. If the hole is made from some type of RPG round I will add some baking soda to the rust wash. when this drys it will leave a burned residue effect around the hole.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi Shonen Red

One thing to bear in mind is whether the target is armoured or not...

Rounds give very different results, depending what they're fired at. Try to have a look at some reference pics to judge the damage effects. :-)

I have to say I agree with the others - I think you'll find it very hard to model a "glowing hole" convincingly.

All the best

Rowan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
If you're going for a recent hit - I'd honestly pass on rust and red. The Red Hot AP round as one other post mentioned won't stay red for long at all.
Take a look at you stove, the 'irons' on that don't stay red long at all. Unless you're going for literally just hit - I'd stay toward a dark color of steal. If you are going for just hit - you have the potential to have to model smoke, flying debris, all hard to do. My recommendation is to test it all.
kwp427
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi Shonen, I just added some bullet strikes to a wirlblewind I am working on.I used the tip of a new pointed scalpel blade. I put the tip on the spot where I want the strike and lightly twist it back and forth to remove the paint and a little of the plastic.It leaves a raised edge around the strike,then I just touch a little dot of dark grey on the plastic and use a little flat black and dry brush around the strike.I am still new at weathering and adding things like battle damage,but I think it looks ok.
Good luck KWP427 (kevin) :-)
jusjus80
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC
i reckon you should use gun metal inside the hole and dry brush the outside with a slighty lighter tone of gun metal on the outside
 _GOTOTOP