_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
1/48 Armor
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
I recently was given several 1/48 scale Bandai armor models. 1/48 is an odd scale but a nice compromise between 1/35 for storage and 1/72 for scale. I understand these are somewhat expensive which I don't care about I'm building them unless I find out I can buy 10 for 1, then off to ebay they go. What I was wondering is, is this scale growing in popularity or are these just an anomaly. The kits I have are mostly German armor, I'd like to get some Allied kits to go with them but I've only seen a few and all were quite a bit more expensive than 1/35 kits which is not selling me on the scale.
Anyone know anything about this scale I might want to consider?
Thanks.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi AaronW

I built a lot of the Bandai kits when I was a kid. :-) They were better detailed than some of the larger scale kits in those days...

I've got a few which I've picked up second-hand, to tie in with my 1/48 scale aircraft.

As far as I'm aware, 1/48 is still pretty unusual for armour - apart from limited edition resin stuff...

All the best

Rowan
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
Aaron, here are a few sites dedicated to 1/48 armour,

http://www.track48.com

http://www.kbleitch.com/bandai This one lists all the 1/48 Bandai range & current ebay auctions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quarterscalearmor/ (this one may not work unless you join the group)

you could also check out the 1/48 armour that I've built at http://groups.msn.com/Armoramauk/ukgeoffsmodels.msnw
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:53 PM UTC
I think that a lot of people do them, I know that 1/72 junk is still kinda cool. I actually like to see my work when completed. Although it is an art to build the little ones I guess.

~Chip

:-)
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC
My LHS has some 1/48 armor stuff they got recently. I can't remember the company name...I'm going there today, and can post it if anyone is interested. The stuff I saw they had were a bradley, piranha, and a couple of other wheeled armored vehicles some russian stuff i think..(not familiar with modern type stuff, I build WWII stuff). But IIRC they were fairly cheap, less than $15. Like I said I can update this post later with the correct information.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The stuff I saw they had were a bradley, piranha, and a couple of other wheeled armored vehicles some russian stuff i think..(not familiar with modern type stuff, I build WWII stuff)

Those sound like the 1/48 motorised "kits" from Kit tech or Zhengdefu (just different boxings, I believe). These are not highly rated among serious model builders.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
ukgeoff,

You are correct, these are from Kitech . It was $10 w/o my discount. They don't look half bad for being motorized, don't know about being "to scale". I bought an BRT-70 SA-9 Launcher. I have some pics if anyone is interested. Cannot comment on fit/finish b/c its not built yet. Just puttin in my 2 cents.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
Aaron, they are sort of an anomaly. I've got an old Ban Dai Sherman, which is pretty cool, but I may reconsider building if they're getting valuable. From what I've read, Ban Dai is pretty much where it's at, and the stuff from Zhendefu or KiTech is definitely toylike in nature.

I like the scale as well, probably for the same reason I like 1/48 aircraft - large enough to detail fairly easily, yet small enough to keep from dominating my display case. I'd love to see more of it as well, but for now I'm gonna keep playing with 1/72 and 1/35.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi All,

I haVE QUITE A few Bandais. Forty-eighth is still in the minority. As I understand it, Bandai sold their molds to Fuman in China, and the Chinese have ruined most of the molds. Academy is releasing some 1/48 armor, some may be former Bandai.

Bandai's figures are often beautifully detailed. But at the same time, the arms can be as big as 1/35! Great looking but not high in scale continuity. The picks and shovels and axes are stupid looking. I replace with O scale "1/48" model railroad tools.

Bandai not only had an extensive line of vehicles, but many figure and accessory sets. These slightly preceeded Tamiya and Italeri detail sets.

This scale is 50% smaller than 1/35, in scale to popular aircraft, and can be displayed with O railroad models. Bandai crammed a lot of interior aND DETAIL INTO THESE. Some is much too thick for discriminating modelers, but now there is a good selexction of after-market conversion/detailing sets. Oh, and what seems to be a growing selection of 1/48 resin whole models. Seem most popular in Europe/Asia.

I like 1/48 armor and rue the passing of Bandai/Fuman.

If you have any to get rid of, please let me know?

All the best,

Fred
 _GOTOTOP