_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Heads up on ebay
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
I'm not REALLY complaining but I wanted to give everybody a heads up. I recently bought three kits from a dealer on ebay. I won't mention the name unless you want to PM me. The add said "location US" but when I got the package, 10 days later, it came from Malaysia. I specifically did NOT bid on several items that I KNEW were coming from Malaysia.

I got the kits, and they were as advertised, I just think it was a little sneaky not saying up front where they were coming from.

Just thought I'd pass this along.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 09:25 AM UTC
your lucky,
at least you dont get taxed on modle kits is that correct?
I've seen a few on ebay uk but these come from the far east and
more than likey if you win/buy multiple kits from them you may be
taxed by customs on them
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hi Rodger

Thanks for the warning.

The main thing is that you received the goods... but did you get hit with import duties and heavy postage?

Quoted Text

at least you dont get taxed on modle kits is that correct?

Mike... I've certainly had to pay customs duty on some models I've bought from the US, but it seems rather hit or miss.

Being a bit of an internet newbie, I'm still rather wary of buying much stuff online...

All the best

Rowan
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:17 AM UTC
I also saw a dealer who's information showed registration in the US, but was actually in Hong Kong. They had excellent prices, until I saw the $15 shipping. That's something a lot of people don't take into account.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
I wonder what some of these US Ebay imposters would do for someone like me. I don't use or have a credit card...and pay for my Ebay purchases via a money order.....when you expecting to send a money order out to a US address...and you find out it is going international to Malasia or Hong Kong....

As well they do have great prices...that no hobby shop can compete with...but once you add on the $15 or so shipping, for the slowest of slow snail mail....you may as well go buy it at full retail!!

And thats for you US boys.....imagine how much worse it is for is Canucks, or the boys in the UK!!!!!
rosedale73
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
I've received goods from Malaysia via ebay, no problems at all. The last product I received was for a Tamiya kit retailing at £39.99 in the UK, I got it for £23.99 + £5.00 p+p and it was delivered within 6 days.
Interesting though, was my credit card card company immediately informed me that a debit is being processed from Malaysia. They are obviously alarmed at any far east transaction taking place with a UK resident!?!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hi guys, I ave to admit this is a good warning. but I do alot on EBAY. I list myself a a location in the US. but I live in JAPAN. On this note I take money orders in US DOLLARS. but think about this I am in the US military I have access to a US post office. Customs charges are the same as if I were in the States, the only difference is I have to pay international rates to Canada. I think this is one of those instances where you would want to hit the Email seller button when shopping!!! For me it works out. For those gents they may access to a US poat office or the like. They may even be at a US embassy. There a few US military installations in Malaysia. where the postal system is in fact the host countries but the mail goes through the base itself and they are charged similar rates as if in the US. HTH STUG
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 09:47 PM UTC
I've seen a few good kits on eBay for cheap prices from sellers registered in Malaysia. I haven'y bid on any because of a feedback comment saying if the final price is really low there are problems with the items not being sent. This can happen with any seller I guess but it seems a real headache sorting it out if they are on the opposite side of the world. I've just placed an order with Hobby Link Japan to see how reliable they are, great prices and I've heard good things about them, seems a safer bet to me.
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
i bought mot of my kits at ebay
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
well my 2 cents is i've been burned too many times from oriental..ebayers..so i dont bother anymore....glad to know stuggys outhere ...gonna have to watch for his...lol..Ray
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:01 AM UTC
Looks like we might have the same happening of Australian E-bay. One mob advertise postage rates in Australia but have Georgetown Malaysia listed as their Australian address. When I queried them they said all models are posted from Malaysia. All seem to be latest Tamiya at a price - including postage - just under the local Retail Prices.

I haven't checked with customs - but I imagine that iff the items were intercepted and duty charged that it would make them more expensive than local purchases. So I am staying away from them for the present.

Brian
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
You know Model Citizen I think you're exactlly right. I've looked at that ebay listing a half dozen times and never noticed that. I'll be willing to bet though that very few, if any, of their products will ship from the US, most will probably come from "overseas." I thought I had gotten pretty good at reading ebay auctions but this was a new one on me.

BTY, my wife just IM'd me. Seems I just got a package delivered. Probably those two Universal Carriers. Thanks for the quick response.

Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
I've gotten a number of models from e-Bay, usually in large lots to save on the shipping. I've never had any problems with them. One thing that everyone should check before they buy from some there is the percentage of positive feedbacks that the seller has. I won't buy from someone who has less than 97% positive feedback (but it may be lower depending upon the number of sales that the seller has done or on how deperate I am to get a particular kit!).
 _GOTOTOP