History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
General Westmoreland
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
This came up not too long ago on another forum I patronize, so I thought of bringing it up here. Just how was General Westmoreland of the Vietnam War? Good or bad?
trickymissfit
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This came up not too long ago on another forum I patronize, so I thought of bringing it up here. Just how was General Westmoreland of the Vietnam War? Good or bad?

a minimum of 200% better than Abrams! If it were not for Westy being where he was at the time, Abrams would hve been relieved more than once. Back to Westy a bit. He was pretty smart, but was also backdoored almost daily by the CIA and the Joint Chiefs. But if they didn't get it done the Whitehouse Situation Room in the basement was his next road block.

Khe Sahn would never have happened, had he had his way! He predicted it months and months before the chain of events even unfolded. he wasn't dumb or arrogant like Abrams. Was well liked by most of the lower ranking folks, and easilly gained their respect.

Westy started several programs that the idiots took credit for, and also took credit for programs that were failures . Yet they came from other sources. I really think that if MacNamara been taken out back and shot (like he should have been), and everybody else took an overdose of sleeping pills we would have been out of there by 1971 on the winning side.

this will be an interesting thread
gary
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 06:00 PM UTC
Great General "by the book". Not so good for our war in Vietnam. I think the guy would have gone down in history as brilliant in a WWII situation but the politics, press, and nature of the enemie's strategy and tactics killed his reputation.
From what I have read, he would have made a better college footbal coach than a comander in a modern civil war against a etherial and nationalistic army. Just opinions.