_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
how do you decide....
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
what divsion, regimnet etc your model will be, do you go by the decals provided or from books and other references sources.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:18 AM UTC
It really depends for me. If I am building an AFV to put on the shelf by itself I will usually just slap on the decals that came with kit. However, if I am going to put the model on a dio I will try to get specific markings.

Hope this helped,

Shaun
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
At 99% I use my own printed decals. Building only Italian Army subjects it's quite hard to get accurate decals coming with the kits...
Ciao
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
entire network: 720 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
it dipend, if the decals are good and they are right for my dio I use the box decals if I have other ideas I watch on the net if i can find reference and something like these different
regards
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
I usually use what is in the box and build my dio around that unless I want a specific unit then I go to archer transfers.

Hasty
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
did a regiment with a dragon as their sign existed ?
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
On the Abrams, I just had a go-around with Rob Gronovious and a few others trying to understand how the tank is marked and how different regiments did different things. I also found out how different tanks within the individual platoons were marked. I have a pretty good idea of what I wanted the tank to be, so I identified it as a tank that was within the parameters I wanted, in this case the number three tank in 4th Platoon, F troop, 2nd "Sabre" Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. This fits in well, because in the 3rd, the number 3 tank is the mineplow tank, while 4th platoon has the platoon identifier chevron facing left, which are a couple of the things I wanted.

So pretty much I determine what I want the tank to be and then find one to match. Then if there is a choice, I just pick the one that sounds coolest. hehe

Rob
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
I usually try to use the decals that came with the kit but if I am building a diorama depicting a specific unit in a specific place then I usually get some aftermarket decals to make as realistic as possible.
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
I just use the decals which were deliverd with the kit except the signs (u know what i mean) which i had to make it by myself
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
I usually base my armor and figures on real life situations. A battle that I read about in Caranten ................ a certain German division that fought at Kharkov ...... a specific tank destroyer from the U.S. 702nd TD Battalion, A StuG IV in Italy. It really becomes a challenge when everyhting I reasearch starts coming up only in text..

- ralph
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
Building IDF vehicles I dont have very many Regimental markings. but Unless I'm building a specific vehicle markings are usually hand painted generic.

Josh weingarten aka shiryon
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I have been making my own decals. I have found no source for the soft skins of the Vietnam era. And since I usally build the trucks per instructions form an individual who drove or crew on a particular vehicle I have to make them up. I will use Archer dry transfers or hand paint the graphics.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
Generally I use the decals supplied with the kit, but save the extras and possibly use them on other kits
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:03 PM UTC
For now I will use the decals provided in the kit... Though I am tempted to get Archer transfers soon...

I guess this will change though, when I have my airbrush.. I am thinking about getting the Eduard collecting the eduard masks, and then airbrushing them on...
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
I usually use kit decals unless they are off register, way too common with German WWII crosses, when I'll use spares or aftermaket markings. I'll choose regimental markings that look cool and paint accordingly. The only time I specifically chose division markings was when I did my Bradleys, representing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Infantry Divisions and my Sheridan as 82rd Airborne.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
I usually plan on using kit decals .Or if I am leafing through Panzer colors,or some Concord / Osprey book,and see a color plate of what I am building,I go for that.It may be a while hunting down the correct markings,but I enjoy making a custom copy of something that was only a color plate and 2-D before. (++) (++) (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP