History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The Strange case of Rudolph Hess
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:18 AM UTC
In 1940, one of the Nazi founding fathers, Rudolph Hess, climbs into an airplane in Germany and heads for England. His avowed purpose is to negotiate an end to the war with Great Britian. Needless to say he is caught by the British, imprisoned and subsequently tried at Nuremberg as a war criminal. He lives out the remainder of his life in Spandau prison in Berlin. His death is still a matter of contention. Question: Was Hess a War Criminal ?
thanks
DJ
MadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
hmm that was a sctrange case, 46 years in prison because he wanted to end the war
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
Any Nazi is a war criminal. Doesnt matter what they wanted, you are affiliated with a group of egotistical(spell check?) maniacs that wanted world domination at that time and will do anything to get it. The Nazis were slaughtering hundreds of people even in 1941 and Im guessing Hess didnt do anything to try and stop it because he was a Nazi.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
he landed not far away from were I used to live (eaglesham) but yes I think he was correctly tried as a war crimminal, because as Zack says we has in the higher echelons of the german goverenment at the time of the cristal-night and the closing down of jewish business and expelling them from their jobs ect and also what of the euthenasia program
?that was only stopped in '41 due to protests by the church and what of the excuction of the
polish army officers( which Russia also took part in) and the intillectual classes he had to know about that and what about the planning of war there is just no way he didnt know what was going on.
But what does interest me what really happened to Hess I don't think the man who "died" in prison was him there was no sign of the bullet wound to his chest which he got in the 1st ww and there is spectulation that he didn't hang himself either I think he either died in a flying accident in the UK along with a member of the royal family or was bumped off before the end of the war I've read a few articles on this and appartenty he used to frequently vist a local pub but the royal story is more plausable to cut a story short a royal was on a plane it crashed no were near were it should have been but it could have landed at another airstrip in scotland the soliders who found the crash site claimed to have found x number of bodies but offically the government claimed that the total amount was one less than the soldiers claimed.
And there is also a book in which some one claimed to have been on a mission to rescuce martin borman in the final days of ww2 the book does make interesting reading and claims he was pulled out so he could tell the aliies were the vast amounts of gold/monies were hidden he was supposed to have seen out the rest of his
days in the UK under a false name
heres a link to the hess enigma hess
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hess was a war criminal, however I think he got scr#*ed with the lifetime sentence. If I remember correctly, he was sort of in the backwaters of the German Hierarchy. He was supposedly like an American VP. We all know how clueless they are when it comes to things. He was gone by '40 so he missed out on most of the atrocity stuff in the extermination camps of Auschwitz and Buckenwald. Hess was present at the Nuremburg trails, so any speculation of his death pior to that is bogus. Afterwards..... who knows.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
Interesting. I have either read or discussed several of the points raised. Was it really him in Spandau. The point about the war wounds is mentioned in several books and articles. The biggest controversy is over his death by "suicide." Here he is one of the most closely guarded human beings in the world and he manages to go into the garden gazebo, find an extension cord, place it over a rafter and hang himself. All, mind you, as a 90 year old man. Causes my cynical nature to question the whole deal.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 06:05 PM UTC
He only stayed in Spandau as long as he did due to the Russians. All the others had their sentences shortened/commuted (except for the 10 that were hung). Which causes one to pause and with the medical reports of inconsistencies does indeed make one wonder if perhaps he was eliminated years earlier and a coverup became necessary
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He only stayed in Spandau as long as he did due to the Russians. All the others had their sentences shortened/commuted (except for the 10 that were hung). Which causes one to pause and with the medical reports of inconsistencies does indeed make one wonder if perhaps he was eliminated years earlier and a coverup became necessary

I am not a big conspiracy believer, but the facts and circumstances surrounding Hess cause me to re examine his imprisonment and death. The inconsistencies are striking. I do not think we'll ever know what really happened to him. Tragic end to a tragic creature.
DJ
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He only stayed in Spandau as long as he did due to the Russians.

Well Blaster for the most tthis is right but the one time the Russians agreed to his releas the British vetoed it? So that is where lots of the speculation comes from. Seems the Russians were looking to make a statement and were saying he could be released and the Brits said no. So folks saw the dreded conspiracy in this? I think they all just wanted him to serve a well deserved sentence.
HTH
Jeff aka beachbm2
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Jeff--appreciate your response about his extended imprisonment, but for a guy who was basically out of World War II--he took a big fall. Here's Albert Speer and several others spending five years in the can then out. The proportionality escapes me. Be that as it may, what about his death? Does that raise questions with you?
thanks
DJ
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi all

This really is one of those cases where the "conventional" history just does't add up. The fact that fellow Nazis disowned "Hess" at Nurenburg hardly helps convince anyone that the man in Spandau was him... bullet wound or otherwise...

We'll never know

Rowan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

This really is one of those cases where the "conventional" history just does't add up. The fact that fellow Nazis disowned "Hess" at Nurenburg hardly helps convince anyone that the man in Spandau was him... bullet wound or otherwise...

We'll never know

Rowan

Rowan-- while we may never know truth from fiction, I trust that one of our contributors can offer a plausible explanation as to why someone would keep him imprisoned.....those who did worse (Speer) got off with a few miserable years in the can. What do you think?
DJ