_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya acryl; worst paint ever?
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
I just got my first experience with Tamiya acryl XF-66

it turned out to be a disaster. the paint acted like waterdrops on a window.

i cleaned the surface, washed the entire model with isopropanol...

and got the same effect

I tried to thin with water and with isopropanol, needless to say... same effect

anybody an idea why
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
yo,
did you use a primer, that would have helped key the paint in,
also tamiya is best thinnned with its brand thinners, as it is a synthetic Acrylic, that is alcahol based, and not truly waterbased. i Admit to waterthinning tamiya, but only atop a primer, ( brushpainting. and AB)
are you brushing or airbrushing.
try thinning with a little tiney bit of dishsoap in the water to break surface tension.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:43 AM UTC
Problem solved:_|

I washed the model and let it dry

I cleaned the airbrush thoroughly

I stirred the paint until my arm almost fell of

and i tried again using isopropanol as thinner

the result is perfect

and i don't know why
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:49 AM UTC
I use Tamiya acrylics on almost all of my builds, sometimes onto primer, sometimes direct on to the plastic, and never have a problem as you have described. I use Tamiya thinner only, and wipe my kits down with a cloth lightly moist with methylated spirits to remove any residual release agent or fingerprints.

Chees, D
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hi, All:

I'm a fan, neigh, an insistent "pusher", for painting only a CLEAN kit. For exactly the reasons and experiences put up on this thread. For me, it's lukewarm mildly soaped water and good rinses and complete drying. Never failed!

Priming - a subject of evident strong opinions and preferences in our hobby - can be pretty useful, too!

And meeting up with oily sprues does happen - even if rarely with newer kits and not from the major manufacturers -... another subject of controversy amongst us modelers! I preach at least take a look before building- clean 'em if they are greasy or dirty!

And I'm a Tamiya "acryl" fan - thinned with isopropanol. GREAT paints (IMO)!

I would highly commend to all to visit the "Best primer on the market?" thread over in the "Painting" forum! We visited all around all of these great issues just recently... Great fun and information / opinionating on what will be pretty familiar topics are to be had there!

Cheers!

Go with CLEAN! Bob
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hai,

I found out what my mistake was!!!! (at least i think i do)

I accidently took the wrong bottle and used some humbrol enamel thinner to thin the Tamiya acryl instead of isopropyl alcohol.

OK,OK,OK STOP LAUCHING

and tell me it has never happened to yuo and it will never happen
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:16 AM UTC
I'm surprised the paint didn't gel up in the paint cup with the enamel thinner. Glad all turned out ok.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:41 AM UTC
Tamiya paint thins nicely with lacquer thinners, as do enamels, so i would not expect it to gel up, don't try enamel thinners with vallejo though!!

A
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC
The best results from Tamiya come form either the Tamiya thinner with the yellow cap -or- MR.HOBBY Mr. Color Thinner 250. No problems...no B.S. ....no inconsistant finish.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stirred the paint until my arm almost fell off ...

Can I make a suggestion....I take my cordless dremel and chuck a nail in it, bend the end alittle, and use that to stir up some of those bottles that have been sitting on the shelf alittle too long....just shut off the dremel "before" you pull it out...too close to the top of the paint and it can make a mess{don't ask me how I found that one out!}.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
I use a paint mixer that Badger makes, and I cut my Tamiya paints with lacquer thinner. They shoot exceptionally well with this stuff. I have tried alcohol and distilled water in the past with these paints and absolutely hated the results. Gave the lacquer thinner a try and haven't looked back. I shoot just about all my paints with lacquer thinner any more....well, the ones I know will thin with it. And yes, Vallejo paints hate anything mildly related to enamel thinner. I use Windex to thin those. Glad you figured out the problem Drab. "Q"
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hey Drabs how it is going man. Sorry to here the problem and good to hear problem solved. I have to say I use Tamiyas paints for all my builds and mix up color matches I need, if I can’t then I’ll use Model Masters paints.

Point is that when I bring home any new jars of paint I throw in a pellet…one like those for a BB gun. They are lead and doesn’t harm the paint ever…even the white. I’ve been doing this for years. When needed just shake while the pellet mixes the paint. Every once in awhile I’ll mix the bottles up just to keep them wet and soft.

Thinner…I have to say I use nothing but Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) every single time, mixing and cleaning. Tamiyas thinner is nothing but the same rubbing alcohol. The highest solution in the US is 91%. I agree lacquer thinner works the best but it’s down fall is that it sticks bad.

Primmer…never every do I prime, to me it’s a waste of paint and time. Before I paint I’ll just only wipe down the kit, parts and pieces with isopropyl alcohol to knock off any oils.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The highest solution in the US is 91%. I agree lacquer thinner works the best but it’s down fall is that it sticks bad.

I actually have some 99% stuff here. I think I got it at Safeway while shopping...can't be sure though. Help me out with the "Sticks bad" thing Joe, I don't follow. Thanks, "Q"
 _GOTOTOP