Airbrush problem
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC

Hi All,

Been having a bit of a problem with my airbrush, I have an Iwata HP CS, and when I press just for air, small particles of paint are leaking through. I have replaced the needle, and all the different components in the head assembly, but it's still doing it. I've tried several different ways of mixing the paint, I even bought some Vallejo air in case I was getting the wrong consistency, but that wasn't it. I spent ages stripping the whole thing down, cleaning it and lubbing it, but the problem still exists. anybody got any ideas what the problem could be???.

This problem has stopped me finishing anything, and I can only build so many......

Jason
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
The needle is what controls paint from the bowl so if you are getting leakage, it's getting by the needle. With my Iwata I will loosen the locking mechanism, gently push the needle forward to seat it and while holding it forward, tighten the lock back up.

If that's done and the needle is correctly seated, try this:

Without any air applied, try filling the bowl with colored water or just plain water, Set the brush aside so it sits upright and angled slightly down at the front. Do this over a paper tower or piece of cardboard and let it sit for a time to see if it leaking. The paper towel or cardboard will show a stain if it's gradual enough that you don't see big changes in the fluid level.

The tip on the Iwata is very tiny as is the opening and any defect -lack of roundness- there is going to prevent the needle from fully seating. If you are getting them locally it may be worth trying a new nozzle (tip).

You may also be able to see an irregular spray pattern if you fill it with water and spray it wide open. Look for uniformity in the spray. If there is any irregularity it is likely in the opening of the tip either being bent, out of round or something stuck in it.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
What Jim said, OR the nozzle is not fully seated in the body and paint is getting out around it.
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC

Thanks for your replies guys, I hope to get round to having a go with the airbrush this week, been out of action this last week due to a sick wife, but I hope to get back in the saddle this week, I'll let you know how I get on.
Big thanks

Jason
 _GOTOTOP