_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Response to Resin, Really!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC
Well I've gone and taken the next logical step..RESIN KITS...I have 2 conversions and 1 full model. My question(s) is (are) What tips would you suggest for a first time builder of resin? Any secret tips to the best way to build such a kit? All suggestions will be taken with the utmost attention to detail from a new student. Teach me please! WAX ON, WAX OFF!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC
well here the old rule of measure a billion times the cut comes in handy. alot of cutting is involved with making resin models, or even using resin conversions. also drill holes and use brass rod to strengthen major joints HTH STUG
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi PvtParts

My main advice is watch out for the dust when you're sanding!! It's a cancer risk...

Wear a proper mask and have plenty of ventilation. I usually wet sand to try to keep the stuff contained.

I agree with Steve... keep measuring and checking alignment. I mostly use CA, but epoxy resin is also good to give a chance to reposition parts before it's too late... :-)

Have fun :-)

Rowan
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:38 PM UTC
wash em off in dishwash water 2 get the silicon grease of.

try 2 touch them as little as possible

and just have fun
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 08:21 PM UTC
When fitting the resin pieces to kit, use white glue (like Elmer's) to test fit the parts. Just a dab and let it set. That way if you need to adjust it or got it in the wrong place, you can pop it apart. If the part is all aligned and set to go, you can always add some super glue to the seam to let the capillary action make the joint permanent.

Also a good way to sand the stuff is by putting a sheet of wet dry sandpaper (black stuff) in the bottom of a large glass cassarole dish. Add a little bit of water, just enough to cover the paper and then sand. This keeps the dust down and unclogs your sandpaper.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:29 PM UTC
sabot nice tip dude

I can then actually maybe work without the mask

gonna try that thanx....
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:41 PM UTC
Thanks all , My doubts are starting to fade. :-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC
I should also tell you to make your own CA glue dispenser. Take a regular sewing needle and stick the pointy end in a piece of sprue or wooden dowel. Cut half of the eye hole off with a pair of wire cutters so there is a "Y" at the end of the needle.

Makes it easy to apply super glue a drop at a time. I just heated the point of my needle with a lighter (holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers) and stuck the point into the end of a piece of sprue. It makes a handly handle. Cut the sprue to the length comfortable to your needs.
 _GOTOTOP