_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Thinning Squadron Green Putty
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
Does anyone know how (if you even can) to thin out Squadron Green Putty so that it can be applied into small gaps better?

Thanks,
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
Kent ,
If its small gaps your concerned about I'd use one of the methods I've seen recommended by others here, ie. Gap Filling CA Glue. The solvent in Squadron Puddy is Toluene,really nasty stuff, as in Tri Nitro Toluene (TNT). For small gaps I have used it sparingly, very small dab applied with a old Exacto blade, but for really small gaps (cracks) CA works great.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
get the white putty, it's got a finer grain and though I've never used it, I've heard wonderful things about milliput. I think acetone may work when thinning the green stuff
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
You can thin Squadron Green with Testors liquid cement. I saved one of the old glass Testors cement bottles with about 1/8-1/4 inch of cement left in the bottle and mixed in Squadron Green until it was about the consistency of whipped cream. As long as the bottle stays sealed, it lasts forever and is great for applying with the brush that comes in the cap.
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC
Thanks Hollowpoint. I thought I had heard about that method before but couldnt remember what was used to thin it.

Thanks for your replies guys
 _GOTOTOP