TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
THE LOST BATALLION
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2002 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hey Folk's speaking of history:
And I thought that this might be a good place to run this one from. ANYWAY: Last night I rented the movie Lost Battallion with Ricky Schroder in it. Which is an A&E Production that gives you an insight into the battle for the Argon-Forrest, From Oct 2 thru Oct 7 1918
It's not a typical Movie type production: And I'm not sure what it should be rated as far as a 1-10 scale. But for me it was pretty good. Pretty much non-stop action. And though it's not exactly an edge of your seat action packer. it will keep you glued to the screen. Has anyone else here ever seen, or heard of it?? This was my first time to see it. And I would recommend it So if you happen to see it at your local Block Buster or Hollywood Rentals give it a try and let me know what you think.

DAGGER-1 "WHEN SCIENCE FAILS, BRUTE FORCE WIN'S"
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 12:19 AM UTC
A&E has showed it twice so far. I watched it both times, and would definetly recommend it too.
After the first half you begin to feel like you are there with the men trapped in the forest. How about when the Germans come towards them with the shock troops carrying flame throwers. Eeeeeek!
I would have to give this movie an 8. Very well done story!!!
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 01:31 AM UTC
I have only seen it once, but really enjoyed it.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 01:36 AM UTC
Yeah I know, When The Germans brought up the F.T's I was like "OH NO" Shoot the Flame Throwers. And When they did It was like" OH YEAH". Or how about when the pilot of the Recon Plane was shot. I was really worried that he would go down before he could get back. So yeah. I liked it too. And would also give it an 8

DAGER-1: When Science Fails, Brute Force Win's
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
I think they did a terrific job...the settings, the uniforms and equipment, and the mannerisms and terms of the actors were all quite impressive...9 of 10
Plus, anytime some subject like that is broadcast on tv or in the movies, that's a good sign...
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
I guess what REALLY blew me away, Was at the end where it indicated that he went in with over 500 men and came back out with only 250. After all that they had endured and had held on against such over whelming odds. And then the General comes in and acts like. WELL GOOD JOB, ACCEPTABLE LOSSES, I was suprised the major did not hit him or something!! Anyway, it was quiet a story. It's so hard to imagine in this day and age, to loose so many men in such a short time period.

DAGGER-1: When Science Fails, Brute Force Win's !!
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC
My brother bought it for me for my birthday and it blew me away. I remember in Command and General Staff College we had to real Killer Angels, the basis for the movie Gettysburg. It was about leadership, etc. Well, I think every junior officer should have to read or watch the Lost Battalion and write a paper on it. It is a great story of courage, leadership and doing the right thing. If I could be half the man that major was I would be happy.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:52 PM UTC
It's available on Amazon.com for $17. I added it to the DVD collection in the Library.

The Lost Battalion

If anyone wants to rate, review, or buy it.

Jim
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 08:09 PM UTC
WOW Jim: I have not seen this thread in a while, Thanks for the update. My Wife and I do not have a DVD palyer yet. But have been talking about getting one some time in the near future. HOPEFULLY SOON !! LOL

DAGGER-1
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
Its a great movie...id give it a 8/10 it had action,suspence, and sadness (when the artillery fell short of its target )all in one!...........SIT DOWN SOLGIE....BANG....THUMP
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
Thanks Timberwolf: I enjoyed the movie as well. I am happy whenever someone brings one of my threads out from the dusty files..LOL
DAGGER-1
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
when i saw this film it reminded me of Chamberlains position at Gettysburg,the plus
factor at Gettysburg they did'nt have the US artillery on their side.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
sargon26
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:24 PM UTC
I agree with everybody else, it was a great movie. One interesting side note. I'm not sure but I think the History Channel showed it on their Movies in Time and at the end of the movie when they talk to historians, one of them stated that the major had a real bad time dealing with battle and the lose of so many of his men. It was so bad that he killed himself a few years later after the war end. A sad ending to a great leader of men.
Jeff