_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dontate Kits for the Troops?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Okay...somebody tell me if this is a stupid idea. I was just reading how Bremer just announced that soldiers deployed in Iraq may be there for 1 year rotations (American, British or otherwise I assume) so I was thinking it might be nice to donate some kits and supplies and send them overseas. I know that some of our users are over there right now. I wonder if they can say if this would be a welcomed treat. I can only imagine how hard it might be to find anything in the way of hobby materials over there (short of getting them sent by a loved one). Also it might be cool to for the guys/gals who have never done any scale modeling to have something to do in their off-time.

Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Jim

If there's a way to get this off the ground, it sounds like a great way to show the troops how we appreciate the job they're doing... :-)

Nice idea!!

Rowan
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
Jim - I'm sure your suggestion is heart felt, and I think it's wonderful. Now, for the but, when you're "in the rear with the gear" is when you have time for such things. The International Red Cross actually had and maybe still has a program to distribute models to hospitalized troops, this may be a way to donate kits and materials, through an agency that has a way to get them there. Like I said I think it's a wonderful idea, just had to put my but in there.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
I agree this is a great idea. The only problem I can see is getting some of the materials such as cement, CA, and paint to them. AFAIK, most if not all of these can not be shipped outside the country.
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
entire network: 720 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:20 AM UTC
I'm like you because italian paratroops are in this moment in iraq, and have the same situation of the us soldier but I think isn't politically correct put a politics post in this forum because a lot of people are against this war, not me but....is politics.
someone can't agree
tell me what you think about this
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Venom

A lot of people had plenty of misgivings about the involvement in Iraq - just look at the hard time the British government has been having lately!

I don't think this is really about politics...it's just about showing some support to people who, after all, have no choice about whether they are in Iraq, and helping make their stay there a bit more tolerable.

All the best

Rowan
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
I'm in. I came back from Hobby Lobby today and the wife told me I am officially a kit collector now. I think it would be a great gesture.

Shaun
Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
Like CRS said the guys in the rear have the time and location to do that, but it is a good idea. I remember in Kosovo the PX sold a few 1/72 scale kits but the PX's in Kuwait/Iraq center more on personal comfort items. As stated it is a great idea for the guys in rear areas but not those of us who live on their pigs.

Stephen Magee
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
Jim & all of the other supporters of the troops - of ALL nationalities,
Great idea but there is a prohibitation on sending "to any soldier" mail to the soldiers in Iraq & Kuwait. During my time there in the rear area, I was too busy to think about modelling much less work on one. I will acknowledge that I was doing the dreaded staff work and there are probably others that would have some idle time on their hands. Contact one of the Public Affairs Officers at a deployed unit website and see what they suggest.

John
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
Well yes of course we would need to find out the how's and where's and send them as package shipments to those in the rear that could then dole them out. Perhaps some of our currently serving military members can help us out with the logistics issues. We can easily do it by regions as well. So if our European users want to do a package that goes to EU forces that might work out better for them as well (no costly trans-Atlantic then back to ME shipments).

Cheers,
Jim
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 01:34 PM UTC
I have to applaud the sentiment that I see here, and it is wonderful to see the support for the soldiers of every nation that are overseas. :-) But (you knew it was coming), I think you may be a little early in the game. The info I am getting indicates a pretty hectic pace of operations, and fairly primitive living conditions. Even if you overcome the obstacles that are pointed out above, I'm not sure more than a few will have time or place to do anything with what you send. I am sure they will be grateful anyway, but....

You may want to hold off 6-12 months to give time for the mission to mature, and for facilities to develop. I'm probably not taking any of my modelling kit with me when I go.

Or I could be completely wrong.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
I agree with holding off for awhile. I'm quite certain that the troops are quite busy right now and I'm sure that the living quarters outside Bagdad International are rather lousy. They probably are quite lousy at the airport too.

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:08 PM UTC
Jim I started a thread about 2 months ago about this very thing!!!! Getting kits to troops is not a problem. there are general address to send items too. But where things get into trouble is sending supplies. I am trying to send a box to one of remebers from this site. the kit is not havinbg any problem but the supplies to build to build the kit is proving to cause many problem involving hazmat laws!!! if i can get the package sent I'll let you know. STUG
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:17 PM UTC
I have an old Monogram F-16 I would be more than happy to donate to some bored troops. Just tell me when and where and its in the mail.
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:57 PM UTC
Good Day (or night as the case may be!),

I am currently deployed with the Forces overseas in a sandy little area of the globe. Although any soldier, from any nation, enjoys nothing more that a letter or parcel full of goodies sent from home (next to that zero dark bubble bubble cup of lifers juice), I am not sure that sending kits is the way to go. As some of the guys have mentioned, the majority of the troops (myself no exception) have no time to do much but work, eat, sleep and sweat.
Never would I thought myself to turn down a new (to me) kit, but my kit bags, ruck sack and barrack box are filled to the brim with all the goodies that go with a deployment to one of these areas. A great idea... but I think you would be just misplacing some good intentions. Better yet (and cheaper) just put pen to paper and drop any of the men and women serving here of any nationality, a note to say that you appreciate what they (we) are doing to stamp out terrorism and make the whole world a safer place to live and raise our children in.

Just my two cents...... on the lighter side, there is no shortage of sand to put together a kickn dio!

mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
Your idea and the responses show that this group has its collective heart in the right place. But it seems pretty obvious that there are some difficulties in the execution of your plan.
How about replacing the models with books? Easy to carry and use in almost any situation. Shouldn't be any "hazmat" concerns either .
Could we make monetary donations to the site thru Paypal and purchase the books in bulk from a distributer or bookstore. Then donate them in the sites name?
Just an idea.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could we make monetary donations to the site thru Paypal and purchase the books in bulk from a distributer or bookstore. Then donate them in the sites name?

Hey guys...

I'm with Mel on this one... kits and glue may not fit in the duffle bag... but junk food, magazines and other stuff sure do!

What a great idea... maybe we could send some Armorama logo gear? Or anything else that makes a soldier smile.

Later,
Tim
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
yeah and being an ex-army postman myself i dont think her knockers would be small enough to be posted! :-) :-)
Fairfax
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 61 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:25 PM UTC
A very generous gesture. But I think for those in the frontlines, they would rather go for something that they could easily carry around anywhere & anytime i.e., reading materials, etc.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Don't forget other hot spots- i.e. Afghanistan

Books and assorted- good idea. I'm putting together a little package for my cousin who recently was deployed to Afghanistan. Powdered Gatorade, some Maxim/FHM magazines,
some 'I love NY' bumper stickers (I want to see one on Osama's dead a*s), some junk food, anything else someone could suggest?

Thanks,
Peter
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Already did from my town, we got Wal-mart and Michael's to donate the stuff and we ship it to the troops. We got many letters of thanks. I am trying to get a model show going once they return to us. Sorry almost forgot i got our local IPMS involed to. :-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Already did from my town, we got Wal-mart and Michael's to donate the stuff and we ship it to the troops. We got many letters of thanks. I am trying to get a model show going once they return to us. Sorry almost forgot i got our local IPMS involed to. :-)

It's good to know it worked for some.

Jim
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Books and assorted- good idea. I'm putting together a little package for my cousin who recently was deployed to Afghanistan. Powdered Gatorade, some Maxim/FHM magazines,
some 'I love NY' bumper stickers (I want to see one on Osama's dead a*s), some junk food, anything else someone could suggest?

As stupid as it sounds: unscented baby wipes broken down into smaller packages. Get the wipes used for adults, purchased at pharmacies and drugstores. Hygiene is a bear in these deployed areas, and certain areas affect ones personal aroma more than others. Break them into packages of 25-30 wipes, and double bag them in Ziplock-type freezer bags (freezer bags are thicker) so they can be carried in a pocket in case they are needed "on-the-road".

As far as reading materials, why not stick to the modelling theme and send model magazines? Perhaps the publishers can even be persuaded to donate some back issues for the general cause. Otherwise, find a way to compile a list of modeller soldiers who the magazines could be sent to. Maybe even have individuals or groups "adopt" a soldier to keep him/her supplied with reading materials.

My two cents...
 _GOTOTOP