_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Optional subscriptions on the horizon...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
I have been making serious progress on implementing a new subscriber feature for KitMaker. Before anyone starts worrying about losing any access to existing features, etc., this will be an option only for those looking for added gallery/photo space and some future bells and whistles I have yet to build. For the time being I just want to make sure the payment option is working and able to be automated with PayPal on signups, renewals, cancellations, and the like.

I am debating on the pricing right now so any input members have for this is appreciated. I am thinking something along the lines of the cost of a Starbuck's blended drink (per month).

Thanks,
Jim
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am thinking something along the lines of the cost of a Starbuck's blended drink (per month).

Thanks,
Jim

Wow! A hundred bucks a month is a bit steep ain't it Jim?

Hermon
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 02:53 PM UTC
Well perhaps in 20 years that's what it will cost.

Jim
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hello Jim,
Count me in. I could go for $20 to $25 a month on the high side and $10 to $15 on the lower end.
I would like the extra room( Not that I have used very much of what I have). I think it is a great idea with all the work you put in to the sites.
Let me know,
Cheers,
Bruce
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
Since I have no idea what a starbucks blended drink costs, I remain in the dark.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 11:34 PM UTC
A Starbucks blended drink costs about 7$ in Switzerland...

To be honest with you Jim, I don't think I would pay just to get more photo space. I can have that for free on photobucket or similar and the handling is easier too. So it all would depend on what the other feartures are.

Cheers!
Stefan
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC
I think that it might be very difficult to justify a subscription on the basis of offering a few services (like an increased photo album) against payment which are for free elsewhere.

Do not forget that people are used to free google email (4gb), free google maps, that earlier very expensive GPS systems are now for free available in a smartphone..., that Nokia offers free webspace if you buy one of their phones...

The new kitmaker services should be solving real problems and offer significant added value to the modellers and/or producrs that is NOT available anywhere else and which is not easy to copy by any other site.

Suppose that you make the perfect color picker against payment and some one else offers it a week later for free...

If I could come up with real examples then I would probably start a site of my own ;-) (just kidding).

However, I would see a huge benefit in having a database containing all airplanes and for each airplane all available models, aftermarket decals, PE....

The average aeroscale visitor could use this dbase to find all availabe kits of his/her favorite model together with reviews, build logs...

The dbase could link to the sites of shops advertising on kitmaker and could even become the basis of an on-line shop at the service of the modelshops.

and what about providing a modeler oriented content management system for local clubs (or individuals) against a small fee. Now, many sites of local hobby clubs look horrible. The same for local hobby shops. such website is now costing about 75 euro a year, for that you get a url, 50 mb of disk space and a mysql dbase with fair use policy. With kitmaker the advantage would be that one cms development, when properly done could handle all the clubs.

A walkaround photo album (linked to the database) would be brilliant.

When thinking big you could do a client analysis putting all clients of the kitmaker enterprise into categories and then develop dedicated services for each one of those categories

well, I have been on this soapbox often enough, you can find my old contributions on this back on the forum somewhere

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since I have no idea what a starbucks blended drink costs, I remain in the dark.

About $3-4 USD Dave.

I will have to put my thinking cap on to see what additional features I can offer besides gallery storage space. It may be along the lines of a system where images are easier to upload and display in a post. Ala Facebook or something similar. And yes I already know I can't compete with Photobucket (although my wife pays $25 a year for her account there).

Thanks,
Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that it might be very difficult to justify a subscription on the basis of offering a few services (like an increased photo album) against payment which are for free elsewhere.

No other site, has the 'basic' package better than this has. Currently, the subscription rate is the same as a Starbuck's wooden coffee stirrer (free )

Asking for financial support for the site and subscribing for a tiny percentage of the cost of a magazine subscription is a hell of a deal...

Seen the price of some On-Line Newspaper subscriptions?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I'm with him-{non yuppie}
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(although my wife pays $25 a year for her account there).

Thanks,
Jim

..."pays"...why? I have a boatload of pics on my free site and they haven't cut me off yet....hmm...an incoming email from photobucket...

$3-4 a month doesn't sound bad...what extra space/features are we talking? The upload process is easy for me using PB and I don't remember the upload here being too bad{it's been quite a while though since I have used onsite storage - not much room left}.
Hey, this isn't some kind of ploy to toss afew trinkets to us just to get free fancy coffee money...is it?!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Currently, the subscription rate is the same as a Starbuck's wooden coffee stirrer (free )

Well they made me put the box of wooden stirrers back since I wasn't buying any of that expensive coffee of theirs..told them I needed a few for model paint stirrers and they told me to get my own paint stirrers...I told them I was trying to!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

I have to say I can't see what you can add in the "subscription zone" without withdrawing some of the free services already on offer. If you want to compete with the likes of Photobucket you'd need to see what they don't offer for free - like long-term security. I gather that my PB account can be closed and wiped if I don't log in regularly, so if I got a truly huge storage space that could be left unattended for months at a time with no risk then I might be tempted. After all, you never know when life will throw a curveball and we all drift between hobbies and so-called "important" stuff at unpredictable intervals!

And the value per month to me as a user depends entirely on the raft of products on offer...

Tom
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
I can see 3-4 bucks a month for gallery space,ease of use, yada-yada. Beer's still free? Grumpy brings the pretzels! Maybe a discount in the Gift Shop for hats,shirts,etc.?
Cheers!
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
As somebody who missed the whole A-Guard era, would this be something similar? (What did A-Guard status provide, other than a patch on your profile?)

Tom
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:12 AM UTC
There were 2 levels of the A-guard. One was $25 a year with 25MB of gallery space, A-Guard forum access, and the added badge. The gold level was $75 a year with 100MB of gallery space, and the addition of an Armorama t-shirt.

Obviously 25MB and 100MB are pretty pathetic levels of storage 6 years later.

Jim
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Obviously 25MB and 100MB are pretty pathetic levels of storage 6 years later.

Was the A-Guard really six years ago, doesn't time fly when your older .
Andy
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
I am all for it Jim!!

HARV
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 05:18 PM UTC
SIX years ago? Well the beer tates better now. So yeah, could do with more photo capacity. Don't really trust photo bucket that much as far as protection.Just use them for on-line back up really. What other bells 'n' whistles have you been juggling around?
Rick
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 01:47 AM UTC
Well, one improvement that would be good is a one-click "send to campaign gallery" button that would make it easier to move images, but I guess you'd want to apply that to everybody rather than just subscribers. Perhaps an online easy-to-use image edit/resize tool to get big camera images to a useful size during upload? (Lots of "help!" posts on this topic...)

And of course a "New Guard" T-shirt is a must!

Tom
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Jim,
I would pay $3/4 a month to have 'one click' photo posting.Not being a computer literate person,my attempts to post photos have been a huge failure & expensive too. I've given up on it

Just my two cents worth.....
Jake
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
PLEASE DO NOT BRING BACK THE T-SHIRT HEADACHES---- PLEASE!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PLEASE DO NOT BRING BACK THE T-SHIRT HEADACHES---- PLEASE!

What t/shirts, I never got a t/shirt .
Andy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC
The shirts will not be coming back. You want a shirt? KitMaker Shops

Cheers,
Jim
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hey Jim, here's an idea.....(yes Damian, I am capable of thought from time to time).

In addition to added gallery space, etc. how about a monthly lottery for those of us paying for the new subscription feature? You could draw a random name out of a hat and the winner would recieve a free donated kit. Not like a $100.00 kit or anything mind ya, just some kind of little dinky prize. Or you could have staff members each nominate one person each month and the rest of the subscribers could vote on who they'd like to see get prize, with everyone only eligable to win once each year.

Just a thought.
Hermon
 _GOTOTOP