_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
recommended Compressor !?!?!
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
Guys, I'm having a hard time looking for the right compressor. I'm a beginner modeller so I want a fairly cheap but good compressor. I don't want to have to upgrade it though a year down the road. I'm thinking of running a Badger Anthem 150 airbrush of of it.
Help!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC
Zip,
Did you see the recent posts on the Campbell Hausfeld compressor? I think it's availble at some Wal-marts.

Look a few posts down on the main list.

Jim
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 09:25 AM UTC
Yea I read the post,but I have yet to find one up here in Canada.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
Here is a link to a store I found in our northern neighborhood:

linkname http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/browse_product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=183221&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=166971&bmUID=1012272405224

On that page is another link " Store Locator", click in the location from the drop-down menus. I don't know if one of these is near you, just thought I'd give it a try for you.
If you have an idea of how much you would like to spend I could help you further.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Oops, forgot to mention that the model mentioned in the other post is not on that page- keep in mind that not all products will be shown on their web pages. So if you locate a store near you give em a call on the tele. Can't hurt.
Also if you click on the link from the other post it will take you to the manufactures page. They sell direct. Another avenue for you to look at.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:07 AM UTC
Ack...no Wal-Mart in Canada????

I would emmigrate! hehe

Jim
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:24 AM UTC
Oh we've got Walmart! I was just at Canadian Tire and Home Depot tonight.They've got all the models except for that particular one. I checked out the Campbell Hausfeld website and I'm gonna try TSC tommorrow. I don't want to order from the states cause the exchange and duty will kill me.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
Yeah, the FP2300 is the model I'm currently looking at also. Tomorrow I'm calling the company to see if I can get a decibel rating for it while it's running to compare with others I've seen. I'll post it when I find out.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
Zipper, here's the CH FP2003. The link will take you right to it. I bought it here for $105 with S/H included. The HARBOR FREIGHT TOOL CO. is here
in America.
www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41808
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
OK,
What is everybodys take on this compressor? I am looking to buy on in about 2 weeks, so lets have the poop. Also, looking to add an airbrush too. Got one of the first Testors Aztec types 5 years ago and am looking at a Paasche or something else. What are you all using???
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
Once again, just a suggestion to consider....If you have a compresser available at work or nearby you might consider a storage tank as opposed to an actual compressor. I am in the home construction business, and I have MANY compressors available to me. I DO NOT have one in my home. (even though I could have ANY size, or ANY configuration available I want) I still fill my storage tank, and use the air stored in it to paint all my models. Now,you might say..." but the tank isn't big enough to hold all the air I need" (the voice used for this qoute is high pitched and whiney )...well, then get a SECOND storage tank. Worse case, you've bought 2 storage tanks, oh my, you've still spent a whooping $55.00 for TWO storage tanks! Have you checked out the price of compressors lately? We're not even talking about the new breed of 'mini' hobby compressors coming onto the market. Now, you've got more air than you can use that night, AND it is absolutely silent.

again, just a suggestion.

Tread.

" I don't know a bloody thing.....don't believe me? Ask my wife!
She'll tell ya'!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....... Also, looking to add an airbrush too.... What are you all using???

Airbrushes?.....Iwata, period. No, just kidding. That's simply what I use. I also use a Paasche for primer/base/mist coats. I also use a 'covert' brush for my 'trench' coats... :-)

lol.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
If you really want a compressor, and don't want to spend a lot of $$$'s, don't rule out Pawn shops....I've bought more than a few tools there with good results.

Tread.

P.S. In fact, I just dropped by my favorite pawn shop on the way home a few hours ago and they had a brand new mini compressor there for $69.95 !! Not bad. Would be an excellent choice for an in home compressor. But then I'd be breaking my own rule, wouldn't I?
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:03 PM UTC
I bought a Coleman .75 HP compressor at KMart($99). I figured I could use it for my airbrushing and any other little tasks around the house. Then I bought one of those 5 gallon storage tanks and threw a regulator and moisture trap on it. Been using it for about 6 years now and it works fine for me.
As far as airbrushes go, I use a Paasche VLS for most of my painting and use an Iwata HP-SB for the detailing and camo. Paasche is a workhorse and very durable(don't know how many times its been dropped on the floor and sustained NO damage). But the Iwata is an EXCELLENT brush and I would strongly recommend it.
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hard for me to complain about my compressor, as it was free. I won it in a raffle at a local art store. I have the IWATA Smartjet. I think it goes for like $200 from most online stores I've seen. It's got auto-shutoff when not spraying and is extremely quiet. It has a very small footprint and is adjustable to control the flow of air.

When I can use that compressor for hours and my girlfriend says nothing... then it truly is extremely quiet. She complains that my computer is too loud with all the fans I have installed. She has never said anything about the compressor. It's got the official Vanessa Seal of Approval.

Airbrush- Paasche VLS.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought a Coleman .75 HP compressor at KMart($99). I figured I could use it for my airbrushing and any other little tasks around the house. Then I bought one of those 5 gallon storage tanks and threw a regulator and moisture trap on it. Been using it for about 6 years now and it works fine for me.
As far as airbrushes go, I use a Paasche VLS for most of my painting and use an Iwata HP-SB for the detailing and camo. Paasche is a workhorse and very durable(don't know how many times its been dropped on the floor and sustained NO damage). But the Iwata is an EXCELLENT brush and I would strongly recommend it.

Well said chappy... :-)

Tread.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:40 AM UTC
Iwata Sprint jet.
Works well for a first compressor but with no auto shutoff . It's as quiet as a fart in an Afghan Tunnel complex.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
I just read an interesting article on the IPMS Stockholm Swedish forum about making your own quiet compressor from a refrigerator compressor. Sounds all pretty straight forward...anybody try that one before??

The guy that did it says all you need is the compressor (duh!), moisture trap, a tank (preferably M1 :-) ), a pressure regulated switch(to cut-off the compressor when the pressure has reached a certain level), possibly another moisture trap after the the tank and a pressure regulator. Just put everything together, in the order above and violá you have a quite a quiet compressor for a minimal price!!

We are going to do some renovating in our kitchen...I just might have to try this!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
Sorry Brian, gave up my 'still' making talents many moons ago.
But if it works, post the instructions for it's construction. Always wanted my hobby room to look more like 'Mad Max' :-)

Tread.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hey Treadhead,
Could you fill one of those storage tanks from an air compressor at a gas station? The ones that you fill your car tires with.
Also, what adapters would you need to make that work?
If so, that may be the ideal solution for me.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 07:32 PM UTC
From what I've read, there is a lot of water (moisture) in the air from a gas station and this would cause problems when spraying.
 _GOTOTOP