_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Taking the hobby with you while traveling
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
I started a new job recently where I'll be traveling for a couple of nights every 4-6 weeks.
While on my first trip to our facility in Indiana I couldn't help but think of all the modeling time I could have gotten in after dinner since I had no home chores to keep me busy.

Started thinking how I could do some modeling while traveling... The biggest restriction is what we can get through security since I carry my bag on.
That leaves out knives and adhesives.
So I thought maybe pre-cut parts from the sprue, bring some sanding sticks, and buy some adhesive and blades at the location. Then I could get some building in...
Or maybe figures... Think I could get water based paints through? Like in an artist kit?
Actually, now that I think of it at the location I'll most frequent I could leave a stash of tools. But what about one shots - like customer or supplier visits?

Has anyone tried this?
discordian
Visit this Community
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
did a little research on artist boards and the TSA web site it seems that you can bring acrylic paint carry-on in up to 100ml containers. And paint bottles are way less than that, of course.

I think I know when I'm doing my figures!
Prime them at home, and bring them along.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 02:11 PM UTC
any way you can get tools shipped to your location , hotel or site visit, ahead of time?
You might even get work to pay for it if you had work related stuff to send as well. When done, just ship to tools back to yourself at work and you're good to go for the next time.

I have to say, I just build 9/10ths of the new Trumpeter Flak 37 sitting in a hotel room this afternoon after my kid's swim meet. we travelled by car, so bringing stuff along was no trouble.
There is NO way I would have gotten this much building done if I were at home with the myriad distractions there.

Good luck
Mike
Wolfsangel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hey Scott, I'm with Mike on the travel time. We go on vacation 3 or 4 hours drive away from the house every year and I take 2+ kits for the near OOB builds. For the Business Trips can't you put it in your luggage? I've done it in the past (admittedly before 2001) and, other than liquid cement bottles, can't see what anyone could get their panties in a wad about. I would rather see if I could carry on the cement and pack everything else anyway. Bottle pressure pops it open in mid-flight and Voila! a lump of plastic.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC
You can phone the airport and ask what you are allowed to bring and what not to bring on the flight with you .
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Forgive my ignorance (i`ve never flown) but would there be any problems putting craft knives and solvents in your luggage - after all,i`ve never known anyone to be allowed into the cargo hold !
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Forgive my ignorance (i`ve never flown) but would there be any problems putting craft knives and solvents in your luggage - after all,i`ve never known anyone to be allowed into the cargo hold !

Craft knives might be okay secured in hold luggage, but there are all sorts of safety issues regarding solvents, pressurised containers etc. Even certain paints and glues. And for that reason you have to be very careful about what you can and can't take on a plane.

If in doubt, don't pack it. Or at very least, consult your airline first.

When I travel I don't take builds with me - just modelling mags and books to peruse for inspiration!

- Steve
cdharwins
Visit this Community
entire network: 491 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
I do alot of travelling for work, and I frequently bring a kit or two along. With a wife, three kids, dog, house, etc. business trips are a great time to build. I keep it simple and build OOB, usually a Tamiya kit, since they have good detail and fit.

I pack everything in my checked luggage, including glue and hobby knives. I've never had a problem with security or anything coming open in flight. On my last trip back in June, I packed a jar of Testor's Liquid cement, Ambroid pro-weld, super glue and Squadron white putty with no issues. All I did was put them in a ziplock bag. I kept them away fron the kit itself, just in case, though. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I've only done this on domestic flights.

My biggest problem is getting a completed model home in one piece.

I say go for it. Happy modeling.

Chris
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Bring the lab top and surf!
Buy all those parts needed for your next build from Ebay. Write an article on your last build.
Read mags and books.

I canīt be bothered carrying all the stuff to build... and you always forget that "must have" item. If I was to take something, Id take figures, where the minimum of tools are needed.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
I built a travel case about 10 years afor when i was going to be living out of a hotel for a while. Since air travel wasn't involved sharpes and chemicals weren't a problem. I used a fishing tackle box with compartmented cases to hold paints, glues, knives, paint brushes, sanding sticks, q-tips, toothpicks and tweezers. I had space in there for putty, files and trays of decals and solvents. Worked pretty good.

A few years ago I went to Korea several times (spent a week each time) and packed one of the trays and a kit in my luggage and worked on it after hours and on weekends. Or I'd race down to the hobby shop in the hotel's shopping arcade and pick up (half price) Academy kits and Tamiya paints. Seems to me I was hauling glues and enamels so I migh have bent a rule or 2.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
The Hobby can travel.

Whenever I think I'll have some free time to fill, I take something to work on. Usually, this will be some set(s) of parts, such as track-links or road-wheels, which need a lot of repetitive clean-up work. I find the travel locations often offer a good opportunity to sort of veg-out and sand and scrape and do the time-consuming serial tasks - whereas at home there tends to be some distraction.

I almost always air-travel light and rarely check baggage... The carry-on security rules prohibit sharps and also glue and solvents. So I take parts in baggies along with sanders and knife-handles and other safe items, and purchase a set of knife blades (ca $1.50 at the WalMart or HobbyLobby) at the other end. These become a "disposable supply", but, at the price, not too dear. Taking bags of parts rather than whole kits keeps things small and limits the need for other difficult supplies, such as glues, PE tools, putties, paints, etc.

Another reason I don't carry whole kits is that many have lots of right-puny parts, and the opportunity to lose these in motel rooms is, I think, even better than at home- less lighting available for floor searches, etc.

There are, of course, those times when one may end up acquiring kits and such on travel... happened to me just last week while out in AZ, where I acquired 4 Dragon armor kits. I started building one, and ended up checking baggage to bring the new stash and half-built model home. (4 Dragon kits do NOT fit into one soft carry-on bag, nor thru the security scanner, nor fit most airplane bins...) I did get to keep my "disposables" (glue and blades), but also needed to cope with the bugbear of carrying the assembled model on the airplane... Not easy.

I also go the travel strategem Frank G. has voiced; take the laptop and do hobby homework while on the road. (And if you ARE going to build on travel, having the computer and internet on hand can lead to productivity!)
 _GOTOTOP