_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
This is probably a stupid question
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:00 PM UTC
Just call me overly cautious, but I'm wondering just how safe it is using a credit card # to but products on-line... If not so, are ther other ways in which foreign goods can be purchased? Need hornet heads... Help!
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
Depends on where you get it from. Never send your CC # through email or an unsecure server. Most reputable business use a secure server and will say so somewhere when you are placing your order with them. Secure servers are very secure using at minimun a 128 bit encryption key to encode your info before sending it. I order on-line all the time and have never had a problem. What browser do you use? IE displays a small lock in the status bar at the bottom when you are on a secure site. Also check the URL listed in the location bar, if it is 'https://' instead of 'http://' then it is a secure site. Note: look when you get to the checkout section as most sites aren't secure except for the critical section since there is no need to encrypt the whole site.

Where are you considering ordering from? Maybe somebody here has ordered from them and can tell you about it. I am also willing to swing by and see if a site is secure for you if you are unsure.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Twisted. Seems I could narrow down the hornet heads I am after to a local (Aust) supplier at www.bu.aust.com/milwkshop, but at this stage it is an order form which I have submitted but has yet to make mention of payment options... Will keep eye for other securities but am novice computer user and half the stuff you mentioned means as much to me as a bicycle does to a fish... think I need layman's terms
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi TwistedFate:

In a few days I´m going to buy some spare parts for my airbrush throug the Pasche web site and I´ll use my credit card. Do you think this site is scure ?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
Will try with layman's terms

What Tim is saying is: make sure the site is secure. The internet has a lot of eyes and ears and giving your CC# to an unsecure site is like broadcasting it on a billboard on Main Street. One way of knowing if the site is secure to look at its address. If the address begins with "https" then it's secure. Most internet browsers also show a padlock somewhere on the screen when you're using a secure site. Most sites only secure their checkout counter. They don't secure the catalogue and shopping cart because there's no need to do it.

Hope this makes things clearer #:-)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC
OK quick thing to check is at the bottom of the window for internet explorer. To see if a sites server is secure look for a little pad lock at the bottom of the window. Notice Armorama is not a secure site but when going through check out on say Great Models Webstore, the little padlock is there showing you to be on a secure server. Now that site is good, but what I frecommend is use a firewall on your side of the connection to protect your computer. A firewall stop almost anyone tryin g to get your info from your computer. I do alot of stuff on my compter and need a more secure type connection. For this I use and Recommend Norton's firewall and anti-virus, they are the best on the market. BTW If you're in the US Military or a Civilian working for DOD (Department of Defense) or a contractor For the DOD. You are entitled to both of these programs from your Command!!! I've yet to pay for Norton Anti-virus software as DOD is a Symantec client. So if your US military go get your free stuff!! STUG
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi TwistedFate:

In a few days I´m going to buy some spare parts for my airbrush throug the Pasche web site and I´ll use my credit card. Do you think this site is scure ?

Paasche is secure.

Here is how I can tell and this pic offers a concrete example for others to look for. I have circled the https, compare it to the Armorama address currently in your location bar above. I've also circled the lock that IE puts on the screen to indicate it is a secure site. Note: this is actually Paasche's checkout screen I am on.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC
I have to pay for Norton, but, at 19 - 20 dollars a year, it is a cheap price for good protection.
I have heard that McAfee is also a very good program also.
capnjock
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC
It's funny to me that folks are so worried about CC #'s getting snagged out the of the electronic inter-ether, but still will give CC info over a mobile or cordless phone!

Or throw away credit card paperwork or give out their SSN to a phone survey.

I checked my fraud protection on the CC and am more worried about my wallet getting lifted or someone going through the trash for acct #'s than I am having it snagged out of the ether.

Before secure servers were a big deal, I sent my card # in three emails, making sure there was nothing in the title like "Here's my card number! 1 of 3"
Inside I would do 1213-XXX-567-XXX and then reverse it for the other mails.

and folks were fine with that too.

What's the movie quote? "It's not a question of being paranoid, it's a question of being paranoid ENOUGH!"

Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just call me overly cautious, but I'm wondering just how safe it is using a credit card # to but products on-line... If not so, are ther other ways in which foreign goods can be purchased? Need hornet heads... Help!

Here's my solution. In the US we get credit card offers from just about every organization we may be associated with, (i.e. AOL, bank, credit union, car insurance company, VFW, etc.). Chose one with a fairly good plan (like no annual fee, cash back or bonus bucks, low rates, etc.) and open the account with an extremely low credit limit. Say $100-500 (low is a relative term here). Being able to check the balance on line or via a toll free number is a benefit here.

Use this account exclusively online. If the number is ever compromised, the worst someone can steal from you will be the low credit limit you've set. Keep track of your online purchases using a pad of paper next to your computer. That way you can make sure you don't max out the card your ownself. Check the balance about once a week to make sure no one's stolen your number and maxed out your card.

Pay this bill off monthly to ensure there is plenty of credit limit for continued purchasing of all your hobby needs. Plus you will not pay any finance charges and any cash back bonuses will be seen as "discounts" you've received on your hobby purchases. This in turn lessens the guilt of continued kit accumulation.

I've never had a problem with using a credit card online. Just lucky and cautious, ensuring the sites you order from have that little padlock icon in the corner signifying a secure site.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the worst someone can steal from you will be the low credit limit you've set.

Actually, a competent thief can get everything they need from that one account # to steal your identity.

Your not paranoid, they really are out to get you
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
On this subject a friend of mine told me his credit card company phoned him to question him about a charge on his card of 77pence from the USA. He hadn't bought anything to get charged that amount so they immediately cancelled his card and sent him a new one. Apparently these fraudsters get the card numbers and try a small purchase for a few cents to see if there is any comeback and if not they buy bigtime. The advise is to always check your card statements, both for credit and debit cards and don't hesitate to question any payment you don't recognise.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to pay for Norton, but, at 19 - 20 dollars a year, it is a cheap price for good protection.
I have heard that McAfee is also a very good program also.
capnjock

Thank you :-)
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi TwistedFate:

Paasche is secure.

Here is how I can tell and this pic offers a concrete example for others to look for. I have circled the https, compare it to the Armorama address currently in your location bar above. I've also circled the lock that IE puts on the screen to indicate it is a secure site. Note: this is actually Paasche's checkout screen I am on.

Thank you TwistedFate :-)
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
Honeycut, If you cant get Hornet locally and have to go overseas try Historex Agents in the UK. proberbly the most reliable company i have ever used I order on monday on the phone and its on the door step by wednesday i dont know how they do it. If you get the U.K. Military Modelling their address is always in there. good luck.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thanks all. Seems I've stirred up a hornets' head over this one... #:-) All things considered, I ended up sending a money order in spite of all your collective guidance re CC#s... Call me a little aussie dabbler, but once I get these GD hornet heads safely I'm sure I'll get delusions of grandeur and start wavin the plastic around...CAUTIOUSLY!!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC
whats your CC number maybe I can help you #:-) Listen up they kniw,have you tried ordering from squadron?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
No I haven't Airwarrior. Having not been of a competent modelling aility for ever but getting better all the time, this is really my first foray into 'quality' product, so I'll test the waters on these darn heads and see how I go... Are Squadron reputable? Know the name well enough but know squat about them having never researched... (Haven't my own computer, so have limited time at the local library in which to post a question or two get an answer or seventeen, without having time or knowing best from not so best in looking to order products...)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:33 PM UTC
Honeycut. Squadron is one of the most trusted names in mail order!!!! they also have a policy of only listing things taat are in stock on their web page!!! A real bonus. Squadron is for me one of the best place to preorder kits and they are good about getting things out to people in a timely manner!. here is their site http://www.squadron.com/ STUG
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:46 PM UTC
Do any Aussies know of a good SECURE Australian Online site, this way i dont have to pay for shipping, just postage
 _GOTOTOP