_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The stash when your gone
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
After my Beloved caught a glimpse of my stash in the loft, a discussion ensued of what will happen to my stash after I have died (which I hope won't be anytime soon ).
I pointed out I couldn't care less as I'll be dead, so the Beloved decided she would either,
A - Sell the lot on e/bay.
B - Offer them to everyone and anyone for free, or,
C - Make a funeral pyre and burn them with my corpse on top (I quite like that idea, just too annoy everyone ).
So what are your plans for the stash when your gone, if any?
Andy
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 10:40 PM UTC
How was that old saying:

Live long, build hard and leave an empty stash
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC
Well being that I just turned 44 I hopefully will not be going anywhere to soon
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
I've always wanted the funeral pyre and burn them with my corpse on top just to piss off Al Gore and all the tree huggers one more time.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
I quite fancy a King Tut-style tomb so archaeologists can find my stash in a few thousand years! Of course by then the decals will be ruined...

Tom
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
I'm taking mine with me, I'll have them all melted down and vac-formed into a P-47 shaped coffin.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
My stash will be given away to members here on the site and some will go to my local Church for the after school programs they have for the youngsters . Built models will go the Aircraft Museum
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always wanted the funeral pyre and burn them with my corpse on top just to piss off Al Gore and all the tree huggers one more time.

Oh yes, ha ha ha, cos poisoning the neighbours is so funny, isn't it.

This is a bridge that I shall burn when I come to it. By then everyone will have their oen rapid protoyper and actual kits will be antiques, so I'll not decide quite yet, methinks.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh yes, ha ha ha, cos poisoning the neighbors is so funny, isn't it.

This is a bridge that I shall burn when I come to it. By then everyone will have their oen rapid protoyper and actual kits will be antiques, so I'll not decide quite yet, methinks.

What would ever give you the idea that I actually give a crap about my neighbors? Just so there is no misunderstanding--- I dislike them just as much as I dislike 98% of the people on the planet.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Well, Grumpy, consistency counts.

Disposing of the old stash is a growing problem. One of my friends is the "young' guy (late 50's) in a model RR club. Since he's e-Bay savvy, he ends of selling off the estates for the widows.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 06:53 AM UTC
My stash will probably end up on the front lawn in a yard sale selling between .50cents and a buck a kit.

Joe
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 643 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
My wife and I have disscussed it. Every model has all of it's accessory items with directions in thier box. I use a label machine and list what is in the box. Everything elese is marked and all is listed on Excel spreadsheets. When I die hopefully not for a very long time. She is going to take pictures of all of it and list it on E-Bay. Winning buyer will have to come here to pack up and take it all with them. I have a very large stash.
Tom
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 861 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My stash will probably end up on the front lawn in a yard sale selling between .50cents and a buck a kit.

Joe

Exactly this.

I have talked to the wife about the "worth" of some of the kits in the stash, so I hope she'll mark those up a bit, with those $1.00 kits going for $1.75 or so.

-YL
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh yes, ha ha ha, cos poisoning the neighbors is so funny, isn't it.

What would ever give you the idea that I actually give a crap about my neighbors? Just so there is no misunderstanding--- I dislike them just as much as I dislike 98% of the people on the planet.

And suddenly I've never wanted to be only a 2 percenter more!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe

What was your address again Joe?!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And suddenly I've never wanted to be only a 2 percenter more!

Glad someone picked up on it!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
In our families, the collections go to the kids. I talked to the wife too{necessary thing I guess} and she said if she hadn't bumped off the kids by then{currently they're saved by the school tax writeoff I guess} -then she'll think about it. She kindly{?} noted the life insurance policy out on me that she and my mother would share in the case of my early demise{the word early was accentuated for some reason}. Hmmmm......
I donate a few kits every year to the school's fall festival - last year was a big one where the Saturn V and the 1/48 B1 got the axe...you should've seen all the kid's eyes as I walked in with those, my kids in tow with 2 kits each as well. The donations get silent auctioned off.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
Currently, my opinion is the same as Andy's "Who cares? I'm dead!". However, burning my corpse with the stash around me just to annoy brainless cretins does have a certain appeal. Instead of a Viking funeral(floating pyre), I'll call it the Obamaplan Sendoff. The video of it will be titled "Curse of the Deepwater Horizon!"
Sounds better the more I think of it........
Cheers!
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Im not a collector, but a builder. My stash is at about 1oo kits or so, not big..some kits are/ will be worth a little more than others, and these are the only ones Im concerned about after I kick the can...All I care about is making sure my widow gets market value for the kits, with as little hardship for her as possible..and i LIKE the idea of the Pyre..I figure I cant take environmentalists seriously until some of them decide to clean up the pile of plastic garbage floating about in the Pacific..
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im not a collector, but a builder. My stash is at about 1oo kits or so, not big..some kits are/ will be worth a little more than others, and these are the only ones Im concerned about after I kick the can...All I care about is making sure my widow gets market value for the kits, with as little hardship for her as possible..and i LIKE the idea of the Pyre..I figure I cant take environmentalists seriously until some of them decide to clean up the pile of plastic garbage floating about in the Pacific..

Well, 100 sounds like a collection to me...which begs the question;
" just how much do you have to have stashed to be considered a collection?"
I'm...cough...alittle over...cough...100 kits.

Oh, I can't do the whole Pyre thing since our county has a no trash, or something to that extent, burning order.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
The discussion happened at my house too

Actually, I looked at the stash late last year and realized that, well let's see,
equation - build rate multiplied by the number of kits divided by the number of years I'm expected to live
decided to give away kits to my young coworkers and friends wanting to give model building a try

We decided that my wife should sell the kits to pay for the fee of hauling away all the other bits and pieces and parts that I've collected throughout time as well which anyone else would have thrown away in the garbage

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
I have maybe a dozen kits is all, most of them given to me. If I had more it would be my funeral. I come home every once in a while and find the kids have gotten into one of them and started a build, which I don't really mind. I have told them which kits are restricted. I got my donor kits from people who were cleaning out their own stashes. I keep looking for those families who are selling off dad's kits at the yard sale. Haven't found one yet. Yardsale guns, tools and good books are just as hard to find.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
Good thread...

The wife and I haven't really discussed my 'end times' as these types of conversations are something her culture frowns upon but my plan is to leave it all to my son. Granted, he's not really into model building but at least my wish is that he looks at it as something that 'Dad' really loved. Who knows, he may learn to love the hobby once he gets older just as I did after my hiatus. If he doesn't, well, then I'll leave it up to him to get rid of the stash and tools the way he sees fit. I won't be here to care anyway so that would be that!

Rob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC
I kinda like the plastic-pyre send-off idea... Little finger in the neighbor eyes, shades of novo-vikingism, pagan ceremonies, and all that.

But that's right now, when the wife is only a little concerned and my stash is still a modest 110 or so kits.

But, thinking that I still could have 20 or so years to go before life-expectancy catches up, my build-rate hovers at a whopping 3-4 / year, and my kit-buy rate seems to be about 75-90 / year... the little smudge-pot expected from my current stash could well become something environmentally serious if I make it out as long as I "should".

Maybe I'll leave my widow instructions for contacting the EPA for a superfund-site clean-up! Copernicus had his widow publish his " De Revolutionibus Orbium..." after he was safely buried... figuring the Church wouldn't burn his widow for his misdeeds. Maybe the EPA would be equally "gracious" with mine !
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi there folks

Maybe by adding my pics to this I will finally admit that I have enough kits to see me through till the glue in my viens finally runs dry. AND THEN AGAIN ,,,,,,,,,,,,, MAYBE NOT !!!!!!!!

A lot of plastic to give me a fine firey send off !!!!!!

A lot have been gifts at birthdays and Xmas as it is always easy for my relatives when it comes to buying me pressies.

Just not so easy for me to keep up with my age !!! One model per year build ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mmmmmmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 300 years to go ?????

Nige
 _GOTOTOP