_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I have too much knowledge help!!
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 06:42 PM UTC
Well maybe not that much as I need some suggestions #:-) I buy a lot of magzines and bboks and print out things I learn on teh net. what I am finiding is that I can't keep track of diffreing techniques for painting and weathering. How do you keep a handle on this? I read an article and say to myself I will try this technique, five magazines later I still haven't. Hope this is clear.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 06:48 PM UTC
Same story here. Thats why file folders, bins, and shelves are so handy.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi. Guess in computer language this would be called 'memory overload'. Ha!

Understand it completely. I have about 6 or 7 old notebooks just full of photos of model dios and vehicles that I collected over the years. Most of them are from Fine Scale Modeler and an old magazine that was put out years ago-of which I can't remember the name of it now-that had lots and lots of how-to's in it on building models and dios. These were in the days before the advent of PE and resin, for anybody out there that can remember these days that is! I kept most of these articles because they show how to make things the old fashioned way, before we could basically buy all we need, ready-made. What Shep Paine would call, I think, "the art of gizmology".

Now I'm not knocking ready-made. Good Lord, this is a life saver. But I just which I could remember some of these old articles that I"ve saved down through the years as I know they had some real neat things in them. But who whats to spend time going through old notebook with 200 to 300 pages in each of them hunting for just that certain 'something' for a new model. I don't have that much patience or time anymore. Of course when I do sit down and look through some of them, I could literally kick myself in the butt for seeing something I wish I had remembered for a certain model . But such is life I guess. And, unfotuntely, getting older doesn't help a blasted thing either

Take care, sgirty
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
I find that post it notes are very helpful, when I remember to use them..

I write down which magazine or books I have for a particular kit and put the post it note in the box.
Aftermarket usually goes in the box as well, but if it's too big and the box won't close, it goes on the note too.
Internet articles, like James Blackwell's analysis of EVERY Jagdtiger ever made..., gets printed out and tossed in the box as well..

But for the love of Pete , BTW who is this Pete and why do we want his love?..

I HAVE to remember to write down the paints I used during subassemblies! Especailly when I deviate from the kit's recommendations or switch manufacturers.

I usually write that right on the instructions or in the boxtop.

Lately I've not been doing that and just yesterday, I had the hardest time matching the interior grey I used on the Panda Uh1D for touching up as I get closer to sealing up the fuselage.

My only real advice for remembering tips and techniques is practice so much you memorize it and make it your own..

Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
Sticky Notes! And Binders And Favorites lists and a pile of unbuilt kits.

If I see something I want to try I will save the URL or magazine or whatever. I will then come up witha project and jot down the idea on a sticky note and stick it on the kit I have in mind. Just reference the article and you're good to go when you reach in the pile of unbuilt kits.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC
I use file folders to organize modelling info. Also a file folder on each model with notes on what I did, how I did it, paint, dry brush colors, wash color & tints, pastel chalks, etc. Also notes on the instruction sheet, articles from the web all go into the folder. When the model is done, everything is in the project folder for future ref for similar models.

I'v also starting to keep a digital photo record of the models as I build them. My next computer add on is a CD burner so I can keep the photos on disc.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
Three ring binders with clear inserts. Label the binders to the detail you are looking for ie Unifroms... German Uniforms, SS Uniforms.... SS uniforms LSSAH... Weathering... etc...

Also, I take notes through out an individual kit, fig or dio.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
Is it just me or is this "hobby" starting to sound like WORK. I don't keep records THIS good on my job.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Half-

I am a QA engineer. You should see the records that I have to keep track of for my job!

Keith

I, too, have started to use a digital camera to track progress. It is very helpful for test posing figures before gluing. It will also help catch painting issues...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 05:12 AM UTC
I find a lot of stuff in Fine Scale that aplies to a specific model I have yet to build, I put the mag in the box same with stuff I find on internet copy and into kit box. General stuff, I put in binder/file I set up sections like winter camo.....track painting....making small parts. makes it easier to locate something specific. too much detail can make it hard to find stuff
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
The trouble is that the world is getting too complicated.

For whatever reason people only want the complicated answer. You see it in the forums all the time. The response to many questions is to spend mega bucks on the latest bit of equipment/PE/resin/whatever. Painting and weathering no longer has anything to do with what the full size prototype looks like, but is all about overly complicated techniques because 'that is how Joe Bloggs does it' / 'thats how I think it should look'/ 'thats how it might have been if the war had lasted another twenty years........ .

I started out modelling on the kitchen table as a kid because it was the only table we had. I had a tube of glue and a KielKraft knife. My dad would give me bits of wet &dry, access to his full 'size tools' and a clip round the ear if I made a mess.

These days I model on the dining room table, because I can. Sometimes the wife moves me to the kitchen or the lounge floor and gives me a clip round the ear if I make a mess. The techniques I use are the result of years of modelling, during which I have tried new techniques and either retained or discarded them depending on how they suit me.

The only material I store is reference material, and from much of what I have read and seen in Armorama this is the area that is most neglected by current modellers. This branch of modelling is scale modelling. The objective should be to build an accurate replica of the prototype, and there are plenty of gallery/featured models on the Net and in FSM that prove the pre-occupation with technique has totally overtaken any interest in actually creating a scale model.

So there!

Regards Dave
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
I keep some mags(MMiR, etc.), I have some stuff on disk, I bookmark stuff and I have various reference books on the main areas I model. I am still learning how to make a decent, accurate
model, so, with so many different areas to improve on, I do not worry about a whole lot of specific information about a specific vehicle. AMS will come in time I am sure. In the meantime I just build an try to improve on each model.
capnjock
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The trouble is that the world is getting too complicated.

For whatever reason people only want the complicated answer. You see it in the forums all the time. The response to many questions is to spend mega bucks on the latest bit of equipment/PE/resin/whatever. Painting and weathering no longer has anything to do with what the full size prototype looks like, but is all about overly complicated techniques because 'that is how Joe Bloggs does it' / 'thats how I think it should look'/ 'thats how it might have been if the war had lasted another twenty years........ .

I started out modelling on the kitchen table as a kid because it was the only table we had. I had a tube of glue and a KielKraft knife. My dad would give me bits of wet &dry, access to his full 'size tools' and a clip round the ear if I made a mess.

These days I model on the dining room table, because I can. Sometimes the wife moves me to the kitchen or the lounge floor and gives me a clip round the ear if I make a mess. The techniques I use are the result of years of modelling, during which I have tried new techniques and either retained or discarded them depending on how they suit me.

The only material I store is reference material, and from much of what I have read and seen in Armorama this is the area that is most neglected by current modellers. This branch of modelling is scale modelling. The objective should be to build an accurate replica of the prototype, and there are plenty of gallery/featured models on the Net and in FSM that prove the pre-occupation with technique has totally overtaken any interest in actually creating a scale model.

So there!

Regards Dave

Great Points. Godfather, I think the best way in this thing is keep modeling, try out new technics, until it becomes second nature. I may have like 5 to 6 modeling book, and a bunch of reference books. But I don't look at modeling books when I do models, I read them and talk to people on the site, then practice them. And I think I can manage a decent model without all the knowledges that lots of people have.

This is a hobby that involves actually doing it, it's no point if you can recite the N issue of 1932's FSM article, or have all the model kits in the world, but not doing them. The more you do them, your skill will become natural to you. So forget about the "knowledges" and start glueing and painting.

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But for the love of Pete , BTW who is this Pete and why do we want his love?..

Hey!

the love don't come cheap, half price though to Scandinavian blondes, ( I can safely post this- my wife doesn't read this message board hehehe )

Peter
 _GOTOTOP