_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
why is modellers frequently spelled with 2 Ls?
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
I don't have the exact grammar rule handy, but I notice that about half (or more) of the time I see the words "modeler" or "modeling" it is spelled with 2 "L"s instead of one. I know I always have trouble with the word "traveling" wanting to spell it with 2 "L"s. But, I have even seen book titles with it spelled "Modelling". Is this maybe like using a "u" in color or armor? I know some, but not all, of my spell checkers want it to be one L and my dictionaries show it with one L.

I know it's a minor thing in the Universe but seldom do I recall any word so frequently spelled wrong (if it is indeed wrong) in so many places and so prominently.

Am I mistaken? Ideas anyone?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:26 PM UTC
Jim,

I believe it's simply a matter of English vs. English..."Other side of the Pond" vs. "This side of the Pond."

Model
Models
Modeling
Modeler

Easy for me! LOL!

Mike

p.s iSpell spells it that way too, single "l" vs. two. But iSpell checks our version of English; American.
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:43 PM UTC
Jim-
it is just as Mike says.

If you are old enough to remember the American Magazine 'Military Modeler' (correctly spelled here).

And you know of the British Magazine, 'Military Modelling" (correctly spelled there)...

All is clear.

Follow your spell checker- but if you are wrong, You are just spelling it correctly for a British friend.

Steve
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
That's correct, you'll also see "colour" , "armour" and "tyre" pop up every now and then. Just a case of English vs. American English. Of course Canada also uses UK English for the most part, ooer.. except for "tyre" and "gaol" , lol...
Siderius
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,747 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 04:06 PM UTC
Britain and the United States, two people seperated by a common language! Russell
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:22 PM UTC
Mystery solved! Thanks! It was one of those little things that bugged me because I didn't know. The spell checker with my MS Office software insists on one L. The Google spell checker with my Google Tool Bar passes either. My Miriam-Webster software wants one L as well. On some other forums I post to that have spell checkers, about half want one L, the rest will pass one or two.

Is the word "traveling" also spelled with 2 Ls in the UK, too?
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
Jim, Just wait til they start talking about Al-u-minneum or Shed-u-els.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mystery solved! Thanks! It was one of those little things that bugged me because I didn't know. The spell checker with my MS Office software insists on one L. The Google spell checker with my Google Tool Bar passes either. My Miriam-Webster software wants one L as well. On some other forums I post to that have spell checkers, about half want one L, the rest will pass one or two.

Is the word "traveling" also spelled with 2 Ls in the UK, too?

Yes, that's right...most of these types of words will follow that rule. Also some words with letters "e" like "Judgement" vs "Judgment".

Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
Don't get started with "s" vs "z" either - that would probably be analysing (or "analyzing") things too far....
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:51 PM UTC
Too rich! I actually already pronounce schedule like shed-yule. And if you actually follow pronunciation rules as I learned them in the early 1960s aluminum is aloo-min-ium. I guess I'm just an international sort of modeller!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
For people like me, not really indoctrinated in any of the styles (but aware of it), it is the "humeur du jour" who dictates the style.
Whatever comes in mind first :-)

To be sure, i made an effort to keep one style in my book.

Cheers
Claude

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For people like me, not really indoctrinated in any of the styles (but aware of it), it is the "humeur du jour" who dictates the style.
Whatever comes in mind first :-)

To be sure, i made an effort to keep one style in my book.

Cheers
Claude

Consistency is the mark of a disciplined mind! Or so I have been told...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, Just wait til they start talking about Al-u-minneum or Shed-u-els.

best go ask a "Left-ten-ant" about that one...
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 04:50 AM UTC
When it comes to spellin, I think I spell gray, grey about half the time.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Tyres...tires
Armour...armor
Smith...smythe
Tomato....ketchup...catsup...katchup
Lasagna...Pasagna...wait, that's my 5yr old son{pusgetti too}
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:05 AM UTC
Again- I always spell grey that way, but gray is the US way. I wasn't aware of the E in words like judgement though.

Here's another question. In a book I am currently reading about military vehicles they mention a "tilt". A bit further in I believe it refers to a canvas covering such as on the back of a transport truck. Is that correct or does it mean something else?

My younger sister married an Australian and lives there so I have learned some terminology such as a boot is our trunk and a bonnet is what we call a hood which are also British terms I think. Are there other such vehicular terms unique to our friends across the pond?

md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
In some university library I darkened the doors of, I one found an English-American / American-English dictionary. At least an hour of resuearch time was lost while I thumbed through that and LMAO.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim you are right about the tilt. As to the vehicle terms you can add bumper instead of fender and windscreen instead of windshield. Also you drive on the pavement and we walk on it.

Other differences are we wear our vests under our shirts and our pants under our trousers and if you go in to the meswear department and ask for suspenders you will be directed to the ladies department amid much sniggering.

As I am always having to remind my American son in law the language is called English not American so it's us that speak it correctly

This is fascinating! So what are bumpers, what we call bumpers, called? I know some small custom ones that were used on dune buggies and on street rods were called Nerf Bars. Legal, but hardly functional in cases.

I never did understand how nerf balls, the soft sponge like ball indoors safe for kids to play with, got that name. From metal to sponge is a bit of a leap.

Maybe this would be a nice additional release to compliument the German for Modelers that came out recently.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...seldom do I recall any word so frequently spelled wrong (if it is indeed wrong)...

This subject comes up every once is awhile and always gives me a chuckle and an opportunity...

In Canada, Armour modelling is a favourite subject of mine and the discussions here are always great. It's my favourite opportunity on such a variety of subjects varying from the colours used for different paint finishes to the flavour of a particular diorama to sharing with neighbours and colleagues in the modelling world from around the globe who have varying and valuable opinions on everything related to modelling.

It's an honour to share this hobby of modelling with so many friends on such a great website as Armourama (spelling correct here...lol).

This is all in jest and I'm happy to share in this hobby and in the English language, as diverse as it is, with so many like-minded people.

cheers;
Bob

p.s.:

I have a good friend, his name is Gray
His hair was always naturally grey
The type English he was using
Even to him was confusing
He'd ask, "Is it 'zed' or 'zee' that we say?"

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In some university library I darkened the doors of, I one found an English-American / American-English dictionary. At least an hour of resuearch time was lost while I thumbed through that and LMAO.

Among other obsessions I am also a book worm. I write for my amusement and once wrote a satirical commentary column for a motorcyclist publication. I have a large assortment of grammar and language books, dictionaries, etc. Among them I have an English Usage book from the late 1800s as well as science and biology text books from the very early 1900s. My favorite is one on Human Sexuality dated around 1860 or 1880. That one is a scream! My how things have changed!
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is fascinating! So what are bumpers, what we call bumpers, called?

I think "bumper" is now universally the front/rear "bar" or projection across the width of a vehicle. I believe that in times gone by, this was referred to in the US as a "fender" but fender is now more commonly the sheet metal panels over/around the front wheels. In Australia, this is loosely referred to as a "guard" (contraction of mudguard")

To digress, in the UK and Australia, the part of the anatomy often referred to in the US as a "fanny" is known as a "tush" (pronounced "toosh") - referring to a lady's fanny in open company is likely to draw a slap across the face (or worse).
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is fascinating! So what are bumpers, what we call bumpers, called?

I think "bumper" is now universally the front/rear "bar" or projection across the width of a vehicle. I believe that in times gone by, this was referred to in the US as a "fender" but fender is now more commonly the sheet metal panels over/around the front wheels. In Australia, this is loosely referred to as a "guard" (contraction of mudguard")

To digress, in the UK and Australia, the part of the anatomy often referred to in the US as a "fanny" is known as a "tush" (pronounced "toosh") - referring to a lady's fanny in open company is likely to draw a slap across the face (or worse).

What I got from another post was that what we call a fender in the US was called a bumper in the UK. The bar across the front and/or rear of the vehicle was called a bumper here always with the exception of a style of bumper used in custom vehicles which were once called nerf bars.

If a fender was called a bumper what was a bumper called at the same time? And is the term bumper for a fender still in use today?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 04:47 PM UTC
An den nu hab Ebbie Nurphy's Buh'wheat mendition ab da Endish nanguage. OOOO-Tay!

Mefj
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 06:43 PM UTC
Ok, we got that settled - Now let's discuss the misuse of "loose" and "lose".

"loose" - Not tight, wobbly, unsecure.

"lose" - Not win, be defeated, or, misplaced.
 _GOTOTOP