_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
why is modellers frequently spelled with 2 Ls?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, we got that settled - Now let's discuss the misuse of "loose" and "lose".

"loose" - Not tight, wobbly, unsecure.

"lose" - Not win, be defeated, or, misplaced.

Their they're, Steve! We don't want to have to go to those lengths...
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok, we got that settled - Now let's discuss the misuse of "loose" and "lose".

"loose" - Not tight, wobbly, unsecure.

"lose" - Not win, be defeated, or, misplaced.

Their they're, Steve! We don't want to have to go to those lengths...

Your right!
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 05:09 PM UTC
LOL!! thatsasituationupwithwhichweshouldnotput

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC

love the sig line too.
Delta-Papa
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I got from another post was that what we call a fender in the US was called a bumper in the UK. The bar across the front and/or rear of the vehicle was called a bumper here always with the exception of a style of bumper used in custom vehicles which were once called nerf bars.

If a fender was called a bumper what was a bumper called at the same time? And is the term bumper for a fender still in use today?

In South Africa a bumper is the protective protrusion at the front & rear of a vehicle, meant to absorb the initial impact of a collision.

A fender is the sheet metal on the outside of a vehicles body / shell usually over the wheel area.

A nerf bar is used for pushing light brush or scrub out the way when going cross country.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Other differences are we wear our vests under our shirts and our pants under our trousers and if you go in to the meswear department and ask for suspenders you will be directed to the ladies department amid much sniggering.

Ackcherly ... our smalls are called underpants, because we wear them under our pants. Only we call our pants trousers nowadays. This is an example of how American English has retained features that have changed in English English. Another is how to pronounce clerk: they say clurk, we say clark, but we used to say clurk too until posh people started mispronouncing it and everyone copied them. (They still do: that's why one side in the break-up of Yugoslavia was referred to by British colonels as Swedish cars.)

Also, the top half of your suit is a coat, not a jacket, and to keep the weather out you wear an overcoat. Hardy Amies (couturier to the Queen, no less!) said the only thing that wears a jacket is a potato.

Round here, the unnecessary bits of tubular metal that add further weight and drag to already unnecessary heavy, draggy 4x4s are known as bull bars. In polite company, that is.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What I got from another post was that what we call a fender in the US was called a bumper in the UK. The bar across the front and/or rear of the vehicle was called a bumper here always with the exception of a style of bumper used in custom vehicles which were once called nerf bars.

If a fender was called a bumper what was a bumper called at the same time? And is the term bumper for a fender still in use today?

In South Africa a bumper is the protective protrusion at the front & rear of a vehicle, meant to absorb the initial impact of a collision.

A fender is the sheet metal on the outside of a vehicles body / shell usually over the wheel area.

A nerf bar is used for pushing light brush or scrub out the way when going cross country.

Hi! Yep, same here with the bumper and the fender thing. I still haven't gotten an answer about what bumper as we define them and you describe was called when the fender as we define them and you describe was called a bumper.

As to the nerf bar thing, when I first had my brief flirtation with off-roading trucks what you described was called a brush guard. Over the past few years the term has been somewhat changed to nerf bars. But as a child of the 60s and there on the East Coast just a few miles from the Atlantic and the Long Island Sound when the first recreational dune buggy craze hit here (Meyer's Manx and later the Baja Bugs) nerf bars were something all together different. Besides standard fare on the dune buggies, they were also used to aesthetically bypass legal requirements for bumpers on custom cars and street rods. Here's a link to what I believe are rightfully called "Nerf Bars" http://www.alloy-fab.net/ I believe this application had the name first, at least here in the US. The off road truck thing was a fairly recent mainstream phenomenon having taken place beginning in the 1980s. You don't see many of the "monster mudders" around like you used to. I guess $500.00 each tires, blown universal joints, high maintenance costs, constant component failures, and at the least hazards of climbing in and [falling] out of the damn things loses its appeal for all but the most dedicated. I know there were devotees before that, but like all things- if there's a way to mass market them so people can play "pretend" they will be sold. As Andre Agassi once said (and he later admitted he regretted it): "Image is everything."
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:15 AM UTC
I've grown up in the States and now live in the UK, so I am used to calling a fender a "wing", but what on Earth is a nerf bar? Surely not a 1980s soft kid's toy strapped to your car?...

Tom

Language is what separates us from the apes. Of course you don't see as many confused apes...
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi

When you folks finally get round to ditching the old imperial measuring system and join the rest of the 21st Century you'll find we refer to the metric measure with the spelling Metre, not Meter. Meter is something that you put money in to park, the taxi driver uses to extract the fare from you and the gas company uses to see how much gas you've used to fire your boiler. A clue is the spelling centimetre, not spelt centimeter is it...

When having fun poked at us I always think we have a right to our little quirks, after all it's our language, the trouble is like everything in life that someone borrows, they don't always look after it, treat it the same as you do and give it back in the same condition they found it

Alan
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 01:14 AM UTC
Although my spelling isnt the best at times, I have noticed these days, grammer and spelling isn't correct at the public school level the way it used to be..

All I know is........hewked on foniks werked fer me...
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Well, Well...
what to say? I wish I could tell my old English teacher: maybe I'll be spared some of those awfull grammar marks

I do have a proposal though: since it is us that actually have to study English it should be us to know better!

Besides, some worlds under scrutiny are of latin origin, so I'd say:
Modelling (2 Ls)
Meter, Centimeter

Ciao
Edo
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Deos anoyne raelize that atlhouh hradly aynone seplls tihgns qiute the smae, we all seem to udnertsnad waht is wirtten dwon. To Aemriacns, it is a tucrk, to an Eglnihsamn, it is a lrory. Deos it ralely mtetar ? ........ ....Al ....(eidt).....Srroy if I dno't selpl vrey wlel.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've grown up in the States and now live in the UK, so I am used to calling a fender a "wing", but what on Earth is a nerf bar? Surely not a 1980s soft kid's toy strapped to your car?...

Tom

Language is what separates us from the apes. Of course you don't see as many confused apes...

Check the link in my post a few before this one of yours I am quoting for pictures of Nerf Bars as I remember them. As I said earlier I wondered how the transition from metal car parts to foam balls happened. I have also heard the term "bull bars" and also "cow pushers" for brush guards.

I know this topic doesn't have much to do with modeling beyond my initial question but I have always been fascinated by language. When I came to the US in 1958 I spoke no English and was placed into the public school system with very little English ability. I really don't remember having any difficulty learning the language and became a voracious reader almost right away. From first to fourth grades i actually went to a one room red school house (Sagaponack, New York) where there was one teacher for all of us. She was the greatest influence on my life out of everybody outside my immediate family. I only wish I could have thanked her as an adult before she passed away. To this day reading, writing, and arithmetic are still among my best skills (except when the cat walks on my keyboard while I type!) I took three years of French in High School and was able to speak, read, and write it quite well. Today i can remember a few words and can count to 10 but not much beyond that. I also took a few years of Latin which have also largely faded from memory.

A comment on the metric system: What many here in the US have never realized is that our money is very similar to the metric system in the increments it comes in. Even though I use the metric system I still have trouble instantly visualizing metric length. The exception is that when i was a kid and cigarettes could still be advertised on television, there was a brand called Benson & Hedges 101s. The jingle had a refrain that went "Just a silly millimeter longer! 101s!" so forever emblazoned into my brain was the fact that the white part of most regular cigarettes were 100 millimeters long, To this day I find myself visualizing metric length in terms of cigarettes and then do the appropriate conversion by 10. Funny, now things like that stick with a person!
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

When you folks finally get round to ditching the old imperial measuring system and join the rest of the 21st Century you'll find we refer to the metric measure with the spelling Metre, not Meter. Meter is something that you put money in to park, the taxi driver uses to extract the fare from you and the gas company uses to see how much gas you've used to fire your boiler. A clue is the spelling centimetre, not spelt centimeter is it...

When having fun poked at us I always think we have a right to our little quirks, after all it's our language, the trouble is like everything in life that someone borrows, they don't always look after it, treat it the same as you do and give it back in the same condition they found it

Alan

I'll pose another one...

When spoken, "Kilometre" (or kilometer)

"Ki lO me ter" or "Ki lom et er"

Both pronounciations are in common usage but which is more "correct"? I say the first one.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi

Alan

I'll pose another one...

Both pronounciations are in common usage but which is more "correct"? I say the first one.

That's an odd one. For weight when I abbreviate kilogram I pronounce it keel-oh for kilo. But if I pronounce kilogram I will say kill-oh-gram with the accent on the first syllable. For distance I never got over the military abbreviation of calling kilometers clicks. But in pronouncing it I say kill-om-iter, accent on the "om" and the "i" in the iter pronounced like the "i" in hill. The actual grammar rule I remember is when two vowels are separated by a consonant the first vowel in long (a as in wade, e as in even, i as in tide, o as in tow, and u as in rule. Of course, there are exceptions...) Oddly enough the Kilo doesn't have a long i in its pronunciation and the meter technically should. Go figure!
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll pose another one...

Strictly speaking, it's the latter. A kilometer would be a machine for measuring kilos. A kilometre is a collection of a thousand metres. You wouldn't say centimetre ...
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'll pose another one...

Strictly speaking, it's the latter. A kilometer would be a machine for measuring kilos. A kilometre is a collection of a thousand metres. You wouldn't say centimetre ...

no, that would be a scale! you wouldn't call a device that measures pounds a pound meter or an ounce meter. i used an assortment of digital, triple beam and 4 beam scales for flywheel balancing work and making sure similar components weighed the same when i have built performance motorcycle engines. they weigh in fractions of a gram, grams, and kilos and i can assure you they are called scales. if you look at an Ohaus catalog they don't sell kilometers.

and centimeter is indeed a term indicating 1/100th of a meter and a millimeter is 1/1000th of a meter. cylinder displacement in an engine is often measured in cubic centimeters. whether the unit is spelled with an er or re at the end has no relevance to the physical characteristic of unit being defined.

you were making a joke, right?
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
Speaking of "meters", a similar situation exists for the word "altimeter" - the altitude indicator in an aircraft. Though there is only one spelling for it, there are two pronounciations.

The classic British pronounciation is "al ti me ter" (being a concatenation of the words "alti"(tude) and "meter"), but the American pronounciation is "al tim et er". I believe that the second form is in more common use internationally now. Perhaps our wingy friends can shed some light?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
I don't how many of you Brits live around the Sheffield area...but when I was stationed in Pirmasens Germany we had a tailor from Sheffield...I only understood about every fifth word he said. He had a very thick accent. He was speaking English but i couldn't tell. I can't understand some people from deep down in the hills of West Virginia...even when they speak slowly.
As far as using different words to describe the same item...It's the same here in the states. For example in the western part of Pennsylvania we say "pop" for softdrink..in the eastern part of the state they say "soda".

I think as long as you get the gist of what someone is saying you are doing just fine.

Jeff
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 2,012 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
Having read (red ?? ) all the posts, I've spotted one glaring ommision, the pronunciation of the letter Z.
As in Zed or Zee !
Here in Canada it's pronounced Zed, same in the U.K. I believe.
Don't you love all the variations !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having read (red ?? ) all the posts, I've spotted one glaring ommision, the pronunciation of the letter Z.
As in Zed or Zee !
Here in Canada it's pronounced Zed, same in the U.K. I believe.
Don't you love all the variations !!!
Cheers

jjumbo

I had actually thought of that. A company i used to work for hired a Canadian to do field service up up there because it was such a nightmare getting our field service people with their big tool boxess and supply of spare parts back and forth across the border. I got to be pretty good friends with him and loved discussing cultural differences and similarities. I also spent a lovely two weeks in February in Guelph near near Horseshoe/Niagara Falls. I was befriended by a group of local bikers who really showed me a pretty good time! I spent a few overindulged nights in Windsor, too.

So I thought of this: Do both the Canadian and US (and other NATO) militaries share the same phonetic alphabet? You know, alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, foxtrot....
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 2,012 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hey Jim,
I think the ICAO spelling or NATO phonetic alphabet system is still standard.
Most younger Canadians would pronounce Zee instead of Zed ie: ze(e)bra insted of ze(d)bra.
Cheers

jjumbo
 _GOTOTOP