History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The land of the desending dragon
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hello all,
I am new to this area of the forum. I am a 25 year student of S.E. Asian history. This is more focused on politics and cultural history but is strongly suited In the civil war of the 60's and 70's that the U.S.A. took part in and the war of independance from French Colonialization. Also, all other conflicts in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos's past. I AM NOT A VETERAN! I am a historian. I am also a modeller. I would love to entertain conversations on the subject. Please ask questions or start a debate. But please, nothing that is derogetory or insulting to our former allies -or- adversaries in S.E.Asia.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 04:32 PM UTC
Nice to see you here Iain.

The First Indochina War seems to me as one of the most peculiar wars fought during the 20th century. I would love to learn more about it.

The French were driven out by the Japanese in 1942, I presume? I would like to read up on these military actions. Why did they decide to reoccupy in 1946 and why was it worth an 8 year war? What did the French want there!

Chas
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 01:04 AM UTC
Chas,
As far as the French returning to Indo-china after the Japanese were vanquished, There are a few reasons for the French return. After the setbacks suffered at the hands of the Germans, the French needed to re-stake there claim on foreign interests. Vietnam was a soft target ( or so they thought ) rich in cheap labor and exportable comodities valuable in the U.S. and abroad. Vietnam was seen as a political vacuum and easy pickings for the French. Very few countries gave legitamacy to the Viet Minh political arm. This is the same group that we ( the Americans ) covertly aided to help defeat the Japanese just ten years beforehand! Anyhow, there was a good number of French persons who really believed Vietnam was there home. They had family, work, friends, homes...etc. Among the mistakes the French made in Vietnam was the belief that they were fighting international Communism......what they were fighting was national and ratial pride! The Vietnamese did not fight the Australians, Americans,ROK, Thailand and the French before us because they wanted a Communist style gov. What they wanted was to be left alone from white peolpe!!!!
Vietnam's declaration of Independance is largly plagerised from the American decleration of independance. Ho Chi Mihn ( then Lihn I Quac ) appealed to the US government twice to gain recognition of Vietnam as a free and independant nation. The US turned a bling eye to uncle Ho and proceeded to financialy back the French in re-establishing itself in S.E. Asia. This denial of recognition to the Viet Mihn workers party and the subsequent support of the French ultimately leads to the Australian and American involvement in the Vietnamese civil war. There is a whole chapter missing in this little salilaque about how the U.S. decides to seperate the country at into two countries at the 17 parrelel and called for free elections in order to let the Vietnamese decide for themselves who they wanted as a leader. Well, when the U.S. figured out that the vast majority of Vietnamese would support the Vietmihn because of there strong message of agrarian land reform and national pride, the U.S. called of the elections and further supported our installed gov. in the south under a series of inept and ill concieved political leaders.
I hope this is helpfull. I could talk about this all day! More questions please........
Iain hamilton
I wasnt there but I care........
trickymissfit
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chas,
As far as the French returning to Indo-china after the Japanese were vanquished, There are a few reasons for the French return. After the setbacks suffered at the hands of the Germans, the French needed to re-stake there claim on foreign interests. Vietnam was a soft target ( or so they thought ) rich in cheap labor and exportable comodities valuable in the U.S. and abroad. Vietnam was seen as a political vacuum and easy pickings for the French. Very few countries gave legitamacy to the Viet Minh political arm. This is the same group that we ( the Americans ) covertly aided to help defeat the Japanese just ten years beforehand! Anyhow, there was a good number of French persons who really believed Vietnam was there home. They had family, work, friends, homes...etc. Among the mistakes the French made in Vietnam was the belief that they were fighting international Communism......what they were fighting was national and ratial pride! The Vietnamese did not fight the Australians, Americans,ROK, Thailand and the French before us because they wanted a Communist style gov. What they wanted was to be left alone from white peolpe!!!!
Vietnam's declaration of Independance is largly plagerised from the American decleration of independance. Ho Chi Mihn ( then Lihn I Quac ) appealed to the US government twice to gain recognition of Vietnam as a free and independant nation. The US turned a bling eye to uncle Ho and proceeded to financialy back the French in re-establishing itself in S.E. Asia. This denial of recognition to the Viet Mihn workers party and the subsequent support of the French ultimately leads to the Australian and American involvement in the Vietnamese civil war. There is a whole chapter missing in this little salilaque about how the U.S. decides to seperate the country at into two countries at the 17 parrelel and called for free elections in order to let the Vietnamese decide for themselves who they wanted as a leader. Well, when the U.S. figured out that the vast majority of Vietnamese would support the Vietmihn because of there strong message of agrarian land reform and national pride, the U.S. called of the elections and further supported our installed gov. in the south under a series of inept and ill concieved political leaders.
I hope this is helpfull. I could talk about this all day! More questions please........
Iain hamilton
I wasnt there but I care........

without starting WWIII; let me simply say you not close
gary
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
It's ok...no WWIII. That is one perspective. I have studied this conflict for many years and I am currently a student of S.E. Asian culture and history at Yale.....so I believe my opinions to cary some validity. I would love to hear you input. I will take your opinion and knowledge of the matter into the mixing pot of thousands of facts and opinions that I collect to form a more informed view of the subject. I doubt that you or I will ever understand all of the millions of dollars and reasons for any conflict. Particularly, one that is shrouded in so much mystery and deliberate misconception. Please, add your interpretation of the available facts. All of our understanding of the conflict will grow exponentially with each branch of the conversation in this thread.
Sincerely,