_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
photo etch
jjmall
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
help i am a newbee to model making and have brought 1/350 trumpeter aircraft and g.m.m photo etch kits for them can you advise what tools needed as i dont seem to have them at moment [mucked up 2 ejector seats and cockpits] any advice welcome thanks john
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 02:49 PM UTC
I'm pretty much a PE newbie myself...!

But- look around this site and on Track-link.net and Fine-scale and PlanetArmor, etc., and you will find some good threads on PE.

I did take the plunge right off and bought a "Hold-N-Fold" PE folder from "The Small Shop", along with a cut-off set and some rollers. Stuff was put to the first test by me last weekend- built some 1/35th flak gun ammo boxes and mags. The gear worked like champs! (I, on the other hand...) A good folding tool is a must-have for most of us (those with real talent can work well with various pliers, etc. Me? a folding tool, PLEASE!).

I glued my folded etch into it's little box-and-trim form using thin cyanoacrylate superglue. Worked fine! Sometime I'll try solder, but not yet. Glueing works well so far.

Try Googling PE folding tools, or Hold-n-Fold, or Etch-mate and you'll find you way to tool reviews and opinions on which is better, etc.

Keep trying! Hope this helps!
jjmall
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
cheers bob i will take your advice think i need to do plenty of home work on the web thanks for taking the time to reply best wishes john
 _GOTOTOP