_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Challeneges of the "categories" of models
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
I've been back in the hobby for about a year and haven't settled into a preferred "category" of model (i.e. AFV, Aircraft, Cars, Boats, Sci-Fi, Figures, etc).

So I'm still dabbling. In the last year I've finished 3 planes, one tracked AFV, one wheeled AFV with some figures. I'm currently working on a plane, sub, and half track.

This got me thinking of the challenges of each. Here's what I have so far:

Armor - tracks. Assembling tracks was a pain, especially to get the right sag when needed. And weathering - it seems simple but I can see it's going to take a lot more kits to master.

Planes - filling and sanding without losing detail. The smooth finish you need to have on most planes is pretty unforgiving. I think I'll practice another 10 years until I try an aluminum finish. Oh - and all the decals as compared to armor can be tedious.

Figures - faces. When I was doing D&D figures faces seemed much easier. Maybe it was the paints. Maybe the detail was better in the white metal. But I'm not nearly as good with plastic for some reason.

Boats - I'm doing a 1:350 sub and damn there are small parts!!! I thought the grab handles on my Greyhound were small until I started this sucker.

That's about all I've tried so far. I'm never been much of a car guy or a sci fi guy, but I won't rule it out just to try it.

As far as what I like best so far... I enjoyed building the M8 Greyhound the most. So I've got another wheeled AFV in the queue for when I finish the Black Widow I'm working on.

I just Thought I'd share. But I'd like to hear what other think of the challenges of the different types.
Even break it down further if you like. Say, WWI planes vs. WWII planes vs. jets.
I mean compared to a lot of you, my one year sampling is tiny.

mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Scott. I agree with you about the decals on planes. I bought Tamiya's 1/32 F-16. When I opened the box and saw the decal sheet, I boxed it back up and sold it!

Cary
 _GOTOTOP