_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New hobby shop, ideas and thoughts please
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 62 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
call me crazy ,but I like it!
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Thanks again guys. Gerald, you put some serious time and thought into that reply. Thanks for your candor. You are absolutely right in all respects.

I certainly understand how difficult a venture of this type can be to get started and profitable. However, as you stated, the market IS shaking out the dinosaurs. I'm hoping to capitalize on some of that. I know that that's an over-simplification of the market as a whole, but truthfully, it's part of my strategy. I also have a few contingency plans if things don't go as initially intended (as they never do.)

There is certainly going to be a lot of evolution and modification from the get go until I can tune things into what they need to be to make money. I'm certainly not kidding myself into thinking that I'll be printing money from day one. Thanks for your insight and the well-wishes!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i'll throw my 2p worth in (from over the pond) i have ordered many kits from US, HK, and the shipping cost a big part of my reasoning to buying a kit, 1 example, was a warrior i got cheap in the US, shipping was approx 9usd 6 week later i had a abrams and the guy charged 12usd shipping, weight differens isnt that much but the postal company's price was the same for both items?????????????? Thats 3usd extra i paid for no reason, so a good reasonable shipping cost is a must obviously without selling yourself short.... My personal prefrence would be Modern 1/35 AFV's

Shipping prices will vary, dependant on where it was shipped from, and method, and package dimensions (not to mention shipping and handling by the seller if any). I sent a package from the middle of the country to California Priority mail, and that cost me $23, and this is in country!
So be glad you only paid a few dollars more. The US is a big place, and prices differ due to above mentioned.
You ever heard of dimensional weight? I didn't before 2 weeks ago. If you had a package that was, for example 18x18x15, and it was square or rectangular shaped, it'll cost twice as much as something with the same dimensions that is pyramid in shape. You lost on that? So was I, but thats how they explained it to me. Something to do with the space it takes up on a plane.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:00 AM UTC
[quote]

Shipping prices will vary, dependant on where it was shipped from, and method, and package dimensions (not to mention shipping and handling by the seller if any). I sent a package from the middle of the country to California Priority mail, and that cost me $23, and this is in country!
So be glad you only paid a few dollars more. The US is a big place, and prices differ due to above mentioned. [quote]

I'm pretty sure that if you use standard-size boxes as available at the PO, Priority Post is fixed-price throughout the "lower 48" - regardless of weight. All that matters is that the item fit inside the box.

Quoted Text

You ever heard of dimensional weight? I didn't before 2 weeks ago. If you had a package that was, for example 18x18x15, and it was square or rectangular shaped, it'll cost twice as much as something with the same dimensions that is pyramid in shape. You lost on that? So was I, but thats how they explained it to me. Something to do with the space it takes up on a plane.

I don't want to come across as cynical, but... someone has just got to have been putting you on, Alan! (least I hope so!)

I would bet that those wily coyotes over in the PO long since figured out that there's one heck of a big demand out there for pyramidal boxes, there being quite so many things which fit well into a cardboard pyramid...

And packing them inside of trucks and planes... oh, yeah! "efficiency is my middle name" ...

But... that IS where the arbitrary space thing comes about... a rectangular-based "pyramid" (the top of an obelisk) of height "h" does fill half the space of a rectalinear box of the same base area and same height "h"... so it SHOULD "logically" cost less than the corresponding rectalinear box! Even if it actually will likely fill, in the practical use sense, the same space used for the rectalinear box! .

Next time I go and ask the PO to explain something, I'm reaching for my waders...
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Here's another consideration that I've had to deal with... credit card services. Figure every sale that I make 3 to 6% evaporates to Visa-land. Margins are slim. However, money is still being made. Other wise we wouldn't still be seeing the Tiger-of-the Week or the recent mini-explosion of the cottage guys.

BTW: I started getting actual inventory in... I'm kind of in shock right now...
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:44 AM UTC
well, I'd buy anything 1:35, and some of 1:48 (mainly tamiya in that scale, their stuff is excellent) as long as shipping and kits price is reasonable. also, good catalog / stock view is essential, something like SB has where you can see exactly what's in stock, and how much of it is left, so you can order with sound mind that you'd get it.

p.s: only armor for me

cheers
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC
you need to look at finding the best credit card processor you can find that allows you to accept all forms, including AMEX for the least possible transaction fee and or monthly charges.

PayPal, too is a necessary evil, it can serve as both. I have found it most satisfactory and I deal with international customers on a near daily basis.

Internet hosting fees, credit card processing fees, domain fees, sales tax collection and reporting (each state has its own complex rules and regulations), annual corporate report fees, business registration fees, electricity, Internet service provider fees, telephone, fax line or provider fees, shopping cart annual fees, packaging materials, shipping costs, UPS account, FedEx account, USPS account, psychiatric therapy fees, income taxes, accountant fees, tax preparer fees, insurance (property and liability), advertising fees...did I miss anything...probably.

If being in business was easy, everyone would do it. But it isn't so they aren't!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:52 PM UTC
Having a business is easier than most would think. Hell, I sell several hundred dollars worth of cigarettes out of my trunk everyday tax free to my customers. They love me! Uncle Guido says I'm gonna burn one day though.
thehannaman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. It is with great pleasure that I announce our opening. Please visit us at:

http://www.section8hobbies.com

We will be expanding and adding product lines over the next few weeks and months, so check back often.

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP