_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Please help, Aztec airbrush part needed!!!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
I'm so stupid that I managed to break my A470 brush. Some paint dried around the push rod (the one that pushes the needle close when the trigger is released) and I used some metal tool to clean it. I cleaned it OK, but at the same time I made small grooves in the black plastic part around this rod. Now the connection of the nozzle/needle assembly to the rest of the brush is not air-tight and the air is bleeding to the paint cup :-(

I know that with this kind of damage I cannot expect free replacement from Testors, and sending the whole brush from Poland to USA for repair doesn't make much sense anyway...

But as these Aztec brushes are not the most solid around, I expect that they may get damaged sometimes. So I wonder if anyone of you has the broken useless Aztec A470 (probably also A430), but with the black plastic/silver ring part (the one that nozzle and paint cup is attached to) in good condition? And of course you would also need to be willing to send me this part...
Here is the photo of the part I need:

Thanks in advance for any help!
--
Regards,
Pawel
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:06 AM UTC
Pawel, before you burn the Testors bridge down, ask them about it first. You never know till you try. Write them an email and explain what happened. I know they have an excellent customer service history.
The Testor Corporation
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pawel, before you burn the Testors bridge down, ask them about it first. You never know till you try. Write them an email and explain what happened. I know they have an excellent customer service history.

Well, I already did that. They want me to send the brush to them and then "technicians will inspect the airbrush to see if it qualifies for warranty replacement". But I already know that it does not qualify for free replacement with this kind of damage I inflicted on it... I asked if I can just buy the replacement part, but it looks that it is not possible - at least they didn't offer this option, even though I asked for it in my first mail to them.

And actually as my airbrush is still useable (although the paint flow is not as smooth as it was before) I just don't want to part with it for several weeks now when I'm working hard on my Big Foot truck model...

Rgds,
Pawel
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Pawel, I agree with Kencelot. Give it back to Testors and see what they can do/offer you. Quite likely they will offer you a new airbrush at a very low price or they will mend yours for a reasonable price. I never had problems with my 470, but I remember that it comes with a lifetime warranty, unless you don't take the airbrush apart...
Ciao
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I already know that it does not qualify for free replacement with this kind of damage I inflicted on it...

You'd never make it as an American lawyer, Pawel. (Probably a good thing, sez this one.) What's with the self-blame? Isn't this their fault for designing the thing of such soft plastic? And don't their directions falsely state that spraying clean thinner should be enough to clean it? Since that's not true, they should expect people to clean the devices themselves; since they don't provide directions, they should anticipate some cleaning methods other than those they would have advised.

Mostly I'm kidding, of course. #:-) But, as an actual American lawyer, this approach does work with some frequency. From what I've heard of Testor's good customer service, though, you may not need it. Give them a chance and maybe they'll surprise you with better-than-expected customer service. Lots of businesses would rather give away one part or product and create a lifetime customer with great loyalty than stick existing customers with nickel-and-dime tactics that ensure no repeat business.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:17 PM UTC
I asked them if they could fix the airbrush that I broke, and they shipped me a new one. I emailed them, told them that it didn't work. Then they wrote back and I sent it to them. 2-3 weeks later I got a new one saying my old one had an internal leak.
No problems since.

Write them first! You just might get a new one,

~Chip
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC
sent mines back to the uk importers(ripmax0 if you bought it in poland they must have an
importer in poland anyway I bust mines and it wasnt covered by warrenty but I did get a
new body for £20 (about 35 euro's) so got a whole new brush for the price of a kit with
a new warrenty on it. Best to email testors and ask them who their agents are in poland
as they are authorised to carry out/replace the airbrush
hope you get sorted soon
:
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks for suggestions everyone!

Best Regards,
Pawel