Trouble with decals?
How do I weather decals?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
I'm making a Hanomag, and I want my decals to look weathered; How do I do that? (Russian Front, Village, '42)
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:10 PM UTC
just apply them before you start the weathering,ut be sure to apply decal solvent ot flatten out the decal if youre going to drybrush,it collects on the edge of the decal and leaves and outline.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
What Air had said, and also if I am doing it, I will apply gloss coat before I proceed weathering. then you can just wash, drybrush, and do whatever you wanna with it.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
As Dave said, do the basic kit color (dark gray in your case); apply a gloss coat. Apply the decals. Do a black wash. Add highlights of the base color lightened with white. Apply a flat coat. Apply pastels. The decals look lilke they were painted at the factory, or at least at the suply depot, and have gone through the same wear and tear as the rest of the vehicle.
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
With respect to applying a gloss coat, is this over the whole kit or just the surrounding area?

Is this just a clear gloss coat, any particular recommendations?

Cheers

david

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
I apply the gloss coat to the whole model. That way the tone is consistant overall.Some people spot gloss, but I feel better doing it all.
capnjock
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:06 AM UTC
It is often quoted that the only stupid question is one that isnt asked, however, this may be the exception to the rule!!

Im getting a tad confused with all this glossing malarky, by which I mean that I try to make my models as 'matt' as possible - I hope Im not the only one - yet the thought of then adding a coat of gloss, to me, would be the last thing I'd want to do. Is this common practice?

Thanks

david
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hip
The gloss coat thing - yea - it threw me when I was first pointed in that direction. But, it you think about it it does make sence on how the decals work and how paint works.

Flat paint diffuses light and looks flat because it has texture, Gloss paint reflects light because it has very little texture. The 'big scale' comparison is with a piece of sandpaper (flat) and a piece of photo paper (gloss). If you apply a decal to sandpaper (even with setter and solvent) there is a greater chance for air to get trapped under the decal in the textures. This air then turns into 'silvering' later. If you put a decal on a piece of photo paper there is much less chance for air to get trapped and you get less (hopefully no) silvering.

So, I basically will only put gloss over the areas where decals will go, this may eventually be the whole thing. Then I apply the decals. Then I put a dull coat over the entire thing to seal it and to take away the shine of the gloss.

Yes its common to do matt/gloss/decals/dull coat.

Hope this helps
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:05 PM UTC
Scott

Cheers for the comprehensive answer. It now begs the question, how do Iget the dullness back into the model? I believe theres a product called 'dullcote' however, its not available in either of my local model shops - they dont have primer either!! - but is there a home made alternative to this?

Cheers again

D
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hip_Priest
I don't know of any home made recipies for a dull coat
You may want to check out Model Masters, they have a dull coat too.
You may want to check a local hobby store and see if something like Apple Barrel Paints has a flat clear paint.

If you don't get a response in this thread you may want to start a new one.
 _GOTOTOP