Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Done with it
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 2,229 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Well, I'm done with armorama.

I've had it with the insults.

I ask that all my reviews and posts be deleted, since I do not wish that anything of my shared knowledge will be retained here.

Thanks to Steven Riley, for those concerned, I have lost all joy in this site.

Well, just enjoy your mindless building.

I'm sick of you.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Please donīt leave!
Or if you really want to leave just donīt post anymore. Your input helped a lot of us. In case of me, I would lose all my reference to build an accurate late Panther.

What would the huge Tiger thread be without your input.

Just ignore personal attacks.

Thomas
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please donīt leave!
Or if you really want to leave just donīt post anymore. Your input helped a lot of us. In case of me, I would lose all my reference to build an accurate late Panther.

What would the huge Tiger thread be without your input.

Just ignore personal attacks.

Thomas

Thanks, but even site-editor Jim B. Rae thinks it hilarious to insult me.

So, there you have it, people with all the best intentions to share knowledge get bullied.

No, I'm done with that. I've got better things to do than see my name and my efforts here being ridiculed by that person, and on top of that, see an Armorama staff member make fun of me???

That's the last drop.

So, thanks also to Jim B. Rae. I'm gone.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Herbert -
Im sad to see you go but I completely understand..... you sure have contributed alot to this site. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors. I did notice the barbs thrown your way.....

Chris
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
Thanks.

It's a shame even a site editor joins in such childish behaviour, as such actions are damming the overal integrity of the site/forum.

I hope that this will be dealt with by Jim Starweather. Luckily there are more respectable editors here with better morals than Jim B. Rae.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
I don't think I ever directly communicated with you,but your posts have been a wealth of knowledge and information.Take some time,cool down,reconsider,don't let others dictate yor actions if you really want to stay
psilocyber
Visit this Community
Nordland, Norway
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
Luckily there are friendlier forums out there:)
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Luckily there are friendlier forums out there:)

Well, contrary to belief we have a VERY good forum here. If you scratch beneath the surface you will find a truly fantastic community of highly knowledgeable and skilled modelers, willing to help each other out and provide some of the most useful knowledge and research, far more than most of the other forums. What you wont find is a load of brown nosing and arse kissing typical of many other forums. However of late it does seem we have lost our way, and I sincerely hope that we can move away from and disassociate ourselves from any bad press or negative behavior.

I hope you change your mind Herbet, because its obvious that the majority of the membership here appreciate your knowledge.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
I appreciate the kind words, but recently I've already taken several periods of hiatus after yet again insulting and hateful posts by Steve Riley, which all went unpunished.

But today I've reached the point of "Enough is enough".

So Steve Riley can bask in his glory for his "victory" all he wants...
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,209 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Herbert,
I've never contacted you before & I dont know what people have said. I too, have been on the receiving end of some plank giving it the big 'un & feel that it just isn't neccessary. We are here to help each other.
Just tell these idiots to stick their head up their a*se & f**k off while they're doing it!
Good luck with whatever decision you make, my friend.
Joe.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
But if you leave, how will anyone ever complete an accurate model without your sage guidance? Who else could possibly appreciate your pure unadulterated brillance?

Ego much? (I of course refer to your brillant "I build for accuracy and you all merely assemble.") rant.
This site was here before you and site will be here after.

Are you off your meds lately? Seriouslly, go back and get the doseage checked.

This comes down to a 'I'm taking my ball and going home' hissy-fit with an impied " I' m going home to tell my mommy." and possibly "my dad can beat up your dad"

It's childish at 6 and worse now.

bye bye.
Don't let the giant internet door hit you on the butt on your way out.

Mike
Morgensterns
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hey, only joined this site today. But I understand what You've said.

And I have to take the stance that well, it's the internet my good friend. Many a forums I use have moderators "insulting" posters. It's not professional at all. But it's a way of life. They may be saying it all in jest.

Now I Haven't seen many posts. The ones I have, I must say; where hardly insults. But them pointing out what they feel where errors in facts you've stated.

Now, if there is obviously more going on then meets the eye, well your reaction is fair enough. But as I mentioned before, this is the internet. Don't let a stranger break your will, and force your submission.

Ignore them, and avoid responding to them, I for one very much enjoyed reading the thread regarding the E50 and E75. And I would regret seeing such a member leaving the day I joined.

Regards,
Chris.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Herbert i understand how you feel. Ive seen some of the arguements, seems kind of childish on their part, well no ones going to agree with one another, so how about just stay a while and press hide user? We can't have you leave now, half of us havent finished our German builds. A disagreement is a disagreement, be the bigger person,let those other guys have their so called "fun".
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I'm done with armorama.

I've had it with the insults.

I ask that all my reviews and posts be deleted, since I do not wish that anything of my shared knowledge will be retained here.

Thanks to Steven Riley, for those concerned, I have lost all joy in this site.

Well, just enjoy your mindless building.

I'm sick of you.

Now what you mean that was the reason i started trackpads so far had to ban no one for bullying/insults or down right disrespect.all the best in the future hope to see you on ther forums.
This post was removed.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Well,

it's a sad thing you're leaving. Your name is one of the few I know on this site because of all the intersting posts you make. I can understand your frustration in some way. This site encourages to post material, but when I do it, I always hear that voice in the back of my head saying: "who starts commenting on it in a negative and unconstructive way just to have something to say". I guess it is a thing that is common on all web forums where people are not talking face to face directly and I thinks it's cowardly and childish. I usually ignore it but if it becomes too much, like in your case I assume, maybe it's beter to stop.

I think most members on this site are grateful for the time and effort you put in your posts. Perhaps you can find a way to keep on helping builders in the future, perhaps your own website?

tot ziens,

Matthijs

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 09:15 AM UTC
I have moved this to Spare Parts as it's not really Armor/AFV related.

Herbert I am sorry you feel this way and I do not have all the facts at hand about whatever it is your upset about. However I am more than happy to get the facts if you want to send me an email and outline what it is you think I should be acting on.

Just as a precursor to your request to have us remove posts and reviews, features, etc. My apologies but we don't do that as a matter of policy. Our Conditions of use clearly outlines the agreement you make as a content provider. It's the same basic agreement anyone using an online site makes in these times. I for one am not going to pull down content our staff (in conjunction with the contributor) works hard to put on the site simply because they may have a change of heart. Honestly sometimes I just don't think some people understand the hours and hours of work our volunteers spend to make the site what it is. Armorama is here to stay and so is the content put up here.

Best wishes,
Jim
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Who are you? Guess I won't be missing you.
Sorry, gotta agree with Mike here. Point is you've become a legend in your own mind. Seems like you've got some good knowledge of WW2 German, but not being my cup of tea I'm not familiar with your posts, so no big loss. Of course, that's just me, obviously lots of others here can and do benefit from your posts. These 'I've had it and am leaving' posts crop up time to time on many other forums, nothing new. A guy with your amount of posts will find it tough to quit 'cold turkey', you're the type that needs to be heard. Take a week to reconsider, just in case I decide to build a Tiger.

Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, but even site-editor Jim B. Rae thinks it hilarious to insult me.

Well to put the record straight, here's the 'grievous, actionable, serious insult I offered:

http://armorama.com/forums/155395&page=1

Handbags at 50 paces?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
That was funny.

Seems Herbert does take well to a little ribbing.

Have to side with Mike also after reading some of your Total blowups over somebody missing a rivet or leaving a part off.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
Herbert, as I try to back track and figure what this nonsence is a thought came to mind. You state that you build for accuracy and others assemble. So what. It's supposed to be enjoyable no matter what we do. Some enjoy O.O.B. while others go bananas over it. It is of no matter what is said so long as you enjoy your hobby. I tend to go nuts on my landscaping where my figures might not be 100% true to detail. I have had a few comments that ticked me off but opinions are like a-holes, eveyone has one. Just take it in stride, the good with the bad. Maybe your wording gets some people crazy but then again I'm sure mine does at times too. Remember that everyone has the ability to ignore things, so ingnore what insults you as I'm sure somewhere we have all insulted someone somewhere.
This post was removed.
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 325 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
Well, I hope you'll reconsider and stay around. Me, I just tend to shrug and look at such things as just words on the internet, nothing more, nothing less.

That said, if you don't mind my saying, and unless I'm missing something, I think what I'm seeing here with the Dalek thread is referred to colloquially in places such as New Jersey (as one example) as "breaking balls."

Honestly, I wish I had as much knowledge for someone to poke some good-natured fun at me.

So stick around, just let it go. Ultimately, it's no big thing.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,453 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
You want to talk about "insults" and "trampling on" others, Herbert?

Then look no further than your own posting style and the way you regularly (and very condescendingly) dismiss other members and their whole approach to the hobby. And I'm by no means the only one who's noticed.

Then you get called on it, cry "foul" and stomp off like a petulant child, taking your ball with you (as in "I want all my posts deleted").

But not before starting this thread in what is quite clearly a thinly-disguised plea for the fanboys to come out and implore "please don't go, Oh Great All-Knowing One", so that you can then play the wronged party.

Or do you just need one last ego massage before you stomp off in an indignant tizzy? Is that it?

Because feeling the need to publicly announce your departure from an Internet forum (most people simply stop posting when they decide to move on) really is indicative of an over-inflated ego and a disproportionate sense of self-importance.

The fact is Herbert that far from "insulting" you in our exchanges, all I was actually doing was challenging you to either put up or shut up in response to your frequent ridiculing of (and generally snotty approach towards) other posters who you deem to be less "serious" about the hobby than you are because they aren't as pedantic about "accuracy".

Stay or leave - I for one really don't care one way or the other. Some people seem to regard you as a valuable forum asset, and that's their prerogative. But it's not just having "the knowledge", Herbert. It's the way you pass on that knowledge. And turning so many Tiger / Panther threads (and latterly the E-50 / E-75 thread also) into little more than vehicles for your own hubris - while it may impress some folks - doesn't impress others (it certainly doesn't impress me, anyway).

I wouldn't mind so much, but for all your pontificating and quoting chapter and verse, you NEVER show any of your work (a half-completed Panther build log stretching over two and a half years being the sole exception). Certainly no finished builds to back up all that "expert knowledge". Just constant hot air, and knocking others for not being "serious modellers".

Post up some of your own stunning builds that reflect all that "advanced modeller" stuff that you're constantly spouting, and I for one will quite happily eat a slice of humble pie and give credit where it's due.

Other guys here who have "the knowledge" put their models where their mouth is, and I have every respect for them. There are even young kids just starting out who have neither the knowledge nor the skills, but they post up their models any way. I have even more respect for them.

You don't do that though Herbert - which in my book makes you nothing more than a hot-air merchant.

And your "just enjoy your mindless building" comment at the top of this thread really just sums up your whole attitude towards and contempt for those who you regard as "lesser" modellers.

Cheerio
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Herbert, as I try to back track and figure what this nonsence is a thought came to mind. You state that you build for accuracy and others assemble. So what. It's supposed to be enjoyable no matter what we do. Some enjoy O.O.B. while others go bananas over it. It is of no matter what is said so long as you enjoy your hobby. I tend to go nuts on my landscaping where my figures might not be 100% true to detail. I have had a few comments that ticked me off but opinions are like a-holes, eveyone has one. Just take it in stride, the good with the bad. Maybe your wording gets some people crazy but then again I'm sure mine does at times too. Remember that everyone has the ability to ignore things, so ingnore what insults you as I'm sure somewhere we have all insulted someone somewhere.

Very good advice Bob.

Thanks,
Jim