_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Squadron.com inventory...slim picking
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
Did I miss something? I went on Squadron.com trying to get a couple of Andrea figures and the search only came back with 23 items and most of them on sale. Then I did a search for ancient figures in 1:32 scale and got a list of 43 items. Is Squadron dropping the figures from their inventory?
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Squadron has drooped the entire Andrea line.

Found this out the other day when I went inquiring to my salesman about why there hadn't been any more Figure International magazines in awhile (put out by Andrea Press), as there were 2 new ones on the Figure International website.

I was told that they did away with the line, and weren't bringing in anymore, which leaves my few customers that bought this magazine in a lurch, as they were my only supplier that carried the mag!

Sucks!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC
Squadron was the distributor of Andrea, and at the same time selling the kits at times below retail, therefore cutting into the business of the shops they sell to. Andrea and the shops weren't too happy with that issue...hence the divorce.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC
Andrea's also set up their own "Andrea USA" distribution point, so there's no need for a 2nd distributor - resellers yes, distributor no.

With regards to Squadron, something that's got me scratching my head is why, oh why, don't the old VLS lines like Warriors warrant a spot in the New products section when new products are released? An example is the new Warriors PTO/USMC tank crew. I monitor the various figure feeds daily but saw nothing, nada, zilch on Squadron news feed - I came across it accidentally in their online catalogue a few days (possibly weeks?) later.

jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrea's also set up their own "Andrea USA" distribution point, so there's no need for a 2nd distributor - resellers yes, distributor no.

With regards to Squadron, something that's got me scratching my head is why, oh why, don't the old VLS lines like Warriors warrant a spot in the New products section when new products are released? An example is the new Warriors PTO/USMC tank crew. I monitor the various figure feeds daily but saw nothing, nada, zilch on Squadron news feed - I came across it accidentally in their online catalogue a few days (possibly weeks?) later.

I second this and also wonder why Squadron stopped production of so many great figures that VLS used to produce. I'm still trying to do a dio of when my Dad's battalion was sitting by the side of the road (they were a AAA outfit) having lunch, when around the corner came recon elements of the 6th Armored. It seems that for a few hours at least, my dad's unit was the advance of the American Army, but of course they didn't know it until the cavalry showed up! Anyway, it calls for a lot of American soldiers, in relaxed poses, which used to exist under VLS, but don't anymore under squadron. So my only plan now is to get them, slowly and at high cost, from EvilBay.

John
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. It is too bad because Squadron was my #1 source for Andrea figures. I guess I will need to find another one now.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I will need to find another one now.

Try Colorado Miniatures
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
Thanks Rudi.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Squadron was the distributor of Andrea, and at the same time selling the kits at times below retail, therefore cutting into the business of the shops they sell to. Andrea and the shops weren't too happy with that issue...hence the divorce.

Most of the time, however, they were selling Andrea and other figure kits at above MSRP. In some cases, apparently making up prices to make a sale look better, for example, they had the Young Miniatures 75mm LRDG figure listed at $90 marked down to $30. Sounds great and was a good deal but every other dealer had the kit $55-60. The list on most of their Andrea kit sas new releases were also above every one else.
 _GOTOTOP