_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
What kind of puty do you use
yinjuehua
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:00 PM UTC
I use Tamiya Putty Basic Gray to fill gaps, it shrinks. I have tried light curing and AB putty from tamiya too, they are perfect for modeling but they are also quite expensive to me.

I heard that auto body filler is great, non-shrinking, no-pinholing, and easy to sand when dry. but it really smells and the hardener is extremely bad to health.

I also find a putty called Foam Putty, the explanation says it's a good filling material, but when I google it, I find most of people use it to make fake snow.

So what kind of putty do you use? Has anyone tired auto body filler? It there any good model putty available in USA? Thanks.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 05:50 PM UTC
You don't want two-part auto body filler. You want the one part spot putty in the tube. Bondo calls it "Glazing & Spot Putty" but make sure you get the one part stuff. If it has a tiny tube of hardener in the blister pack with it, that's the WRONG stuff. I've been using Bondo spot putty for years and I've tried all the others, Bondo is very inexpensive and works fantastic. Available at any Wal-Mart or auto parts store.
For fine scratches and seam lines I use Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000 in the bottles. This is a paintable putty and is indespensable for those fine cracks you can't force putty into. This is available from many online hobby shops and one bottle lasts years.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
I use Aves and Apoxie Sculpt mostly for heavy putty work. Both are easy to use, little-to-no-shrinkage and can be sanded and feathered out finely.

I also keep bottles of Mr. Surfacer handy too for smaller applications.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC
Check out "Reading the Seams' thread. He covers several of the putties including a GE/3M (can't remember who makes it) blue acryl 1 part filler for cars from your local auto parts store.
jjmall
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
hi matt i just wanted to ask you where you get mr surface as i am new to modelling and how you use it many thanks jj
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
John,
Welcome!
As I said, Mr. Surfacer is a paintable putty. I have 5 different brushes from a 1/4" flat to a 00000 pointed round that I use with Mr. Surfacer. You just paint it onto the model surface where you want to fill in a crack or sanding marks, allow to dry and sand smooth.
I get my Mr. Surfacer from local internet shops in the US. I see that you are in the UK. You can order all the Mr. Surfacer products locally from Lou Stener Models. I have ordered things from Lou that I could not get on this side of the pond, he's got a great shop with excellent service.
Lou Stener Models
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
Anyone ever try Squadron green or white filler? Aceses5
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:50 AM UTC
Squadron Green !!!!

Hermon
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
what kind of putty would you guys use to apply zimmerit
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 07:38 PM UTC
Juehua and Mark, I use Squadron green putty, but noticed that it's drying out in the tube lately (the tube must be about 1 year old). It also mixes well with plastic glue so you can revive it a bit once it's on. Have used Tamiya and Revell putty but am not very satisfied with them.

Cheers!
Stefan

PS: Jonas, sorry, don't model German, so no Zimm...
 _GOTOTOP