_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Spray booth story, sad story
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
This was posted by fellow modeler on the Yahoo! Model Trucks Discussion Group. He has given permission to forward this to other groups/forums to "get the word out" on just how dangerous this can be if proper precautions are not taken.

"I know this topic has come up in the past but it needs to be discussed again. I friend of mine built his own spray paint booth from a kitchen stove exhaust hood that he was using in his garage. Last night he was using it when it caught on fire. He has burns on his chest, arms, face and head. His wife told me he has no eyebrows, eye lashes or hair left on his head. He also wears contact lenses which melted in his eyes from the fire. He's in pretty bad shape and was transferred to a Shriners burns hospital in Boston. He was using Testors rattle can enamel on an airplane model that he was building. His wife told me she herd a boom sound then a scream. When she opened the door into the garage his shirt was on fire. Luckily there daughter's boy friend was there and he used a fire extinguisher on him to put out the fire. If anyone is using a home made spray booth don't use it anymore. The fan motor windings are exposed and will ignite paint fumes and vapors. You need to use a motor this is in a vapor proof or explosion proof case. This guy Dennis is 47 years old and is a pipe fitter by trade, ironically he installs fire sprinklers. I didn't intend to ruin anyone's dinner, but I hope it may help save yourself from getting hurt, or worse. Sorry for the gloom and doom, be careful!
Anthony"

Remember, if you are going to build your own spray booth, use an "explosion proof" fan, not a range hood fan or bathroom fan. These fans are made for painting & are a little more expensive; but it just might save your life.

Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:30 AM UTC
Brushless motors are the way to go. Muffin fans use these and are what I used to build mine.
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Definitely an unfortunate story. That is why I went with a Dayton Blower. Although not explosion proof, they have an externally mounted motor greatly reducing the risk of this type of accident from happening.

Jamie
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
While mine is home made, and I do use a bathroom fan, the fumes get pulled through a piece of pegboard, then a furnace filter before they hit the fan, and then it is extracted outside.

Not sure if the filter and pegboard does anything as far as the flammable items in paint....but I spray lacquer though it all the time with no ill effects.

The only paint from a spray can I use is primer, as I usually decant all my canned paint in to airbrush bottles, not sure if that has much to do with it, as I assume that it is more the spray can propellant and not the actual paint that ignites, as well I very rarely spray enamel, mostly lacquer for car bodies or acrylics for everything else.
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC
That is certainly food for thought considering I was thinking doing the same, reasoning I use 95% acrylic.

But that other 5% can be dangerous.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 243 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
My setup seems to be as safe as many hobby paint booths out there? I doubt many are going to be able to afford a booth that does not have an inline fan motor.I had a good look at the HVAC motor I used and the windings are insulated the motor is brushless type.Paasche and many others market booths with this type of inline motor.I am guessing my setup is not the safest one can use but its no stove range unit, my prayers do go out to the injured gentleman.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC
This may not be doabel but:

In german mining a lot of the systems are powered by compressed air due to the hazards of CH4 (Methan) explosions. Since compressed air is availabel at a spray booth: Is there an affordabel engine/fan that is driven by compressed air?

discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
I think you need a lot of pressure and volume to operate an air driven blower. I doubt an airbrush compressor would handle the load.

I wonder how an air amplified would work? I believe they require about 80 PSI.

http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%20Navigation/Products/Air%20Amplifiers/Pages/Super%20Air%20Amplifier.aspx
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Ouch!!!!!!!!!! Hate to hear that happening to anyone.
This is why folks need to use the AC brushless motors....if in doubt ask .
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi

I have an old cooker hood fan I was going to use for a home made spray booth.

As I understand it these are built with a fan type that doesn't spark, a brushless motor. After all if you are cooking and hot oil vapour is coming of your frying pan etc. isn't that just as dangerous as regards fire and explosions and something taken into account when these things are designed. Also, if my memory is correct you are advised to change the filters on a regular basis due to the build up of flammable deposits on the filter which I guess could cause a fire or explosion.

I hope the person mentioned in the terrible accident makes a good recovery, please wish him well.

Alan
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
Here's a quick update (names have been removed):

24 FEB 10
"Not much has really changed. There still waiting for the swelling to go down from the burns before he gets moved to the eye infirmiry. When that happens they'll have a better idea as to how much damage the eyes actually suffered. [Victim]'s brother did say that he can see some images but there not in color, just black, white and gray images. It is possible he could be color blind but it's still too early to tell."

"There wasn't much left to the [contact] lenses and they pretty much turned into a gel like clump. Some of it was washed out, some was removed by hand so there is a bit of irritation and a lot of broken blood vessels in the eye. I was going to go see him on Sunday but his wife asked us not to, he's afraid to let anyone see him in his condition. I can understand how he feels and we told them to keep us informed as much as possible. My wife and his wife e-mail often so I should find out what's happening."

Thought you guys would like to know.

Jim
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:35 AM UTC
Was the poor gentleman in question using a metallizer finish when the accident happened? If so, the metal bits in the paint mixture would have greatly magnified the heat and power of the blowback.

--Karl
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hi there

Any update on the condition of the man in question. Hope he is back on the mend.

Nige
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:37 PM UTC
No new news yet. If I hear anything I'll pass it on.

I don't know what type of paint he was using, but I believe it was an enamel rattle can of some kind

Jim
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC
My prayers and are with him and his family. I sincerely wish him a speedy recovery.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP