History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Shotguns in Combat in WWII
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 09:28 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me if shotguns were used by US forces in WWII ? I'm pretty sure they were used in the Pacific Theatre but have seen no reference to their use in Europe.

If so was there an issue model ( and if so what was it's configuration ? ) or would it be something someone would have as a non issue weapon ( assuming they were allowed to use non issue weapons ).
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
According to Osprey's book The US Army in World War II the M97/M1912 shotgun was used in the Pacific. It mentions they were "rarely available." The book goes on to say that they were used by MPs guarding prisoners, and in limited combat use, but that General MacArthur tried to restrict their use. I could be totally wrong but I seem to recall that General Eisenhower did get them restricted in the ETO.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,866 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
The standard military shot gun was the M1897. This was a Winchester 12-gauge 5 shot side action. You might have to do some searching, but I do remember seeing pictures of GI's carrying shotguns during some street fighting in the ETO. My reference suggests that it was most likely used by vehicle personel, ie armored troops.

My Father can remember seeing a guard with one when he worked at Luke Field in '43 or '44. There were German POW's doing the grunt work on the field at the time.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
From everything I have read, they were used primarily by soldiers assigned guard duties. I have read that some soldiers carried them as an extra weapon for close quarters fighting and for attacking bunkers or house clearing. They were used by the Marines in the PTO, again because of the nature of the close quarters fighting and cave clearing. They were not in widespread distribution because of their limited range.

Incidentally, the Germans in particular disliked the shotgun. Based on their experience of having been on the receiving end during the WW I, when it was used in the trenches, they sought to have them banned by the Geneva Convention.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
The Winchester M1897 was first 'introduced' to the enemy in WWI - the German's hated it because in the hands of an experienced shotgunner, i.e. US MARINE it could unleash 45 .30 caliber pellets in seconds. The M1897 has a unique quirk to it. If you held down the trigger and pumped the action it would go boom! Try that in a trench!

The M1897 trench gun had more use in the Pacific that Europe due to the nature of the fighting. It survived up to the Korean war and was pretty much replace by the Mossberg 12 ga. pump gun by Viet Nam.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Well i dont know much, but ill try to add as much as i can. Personally a shotgun seems a little to cumbersome for me compared to the thompson in WWII. I think the thompson has just as much cqc capabilities,but i could be wrong . DML's US marines iwo jima set has a marine with a trench gun if your interested
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 767 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
The Remington Model 11 (Browning Auto-5) and Ithaca Model 37 were also used in limited numbers. All were available in both 'trench gun' (with bayonet lug and upper hand guard) and riot gun (without those, but a shorter barrel) configuration.
Flivver
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Winchester M1897 was first 'introduced' to the enemy in WWI - the German's hated it because in the hands of an experienced shotgunner, i.e. US MARINE it could unleash 45 .30 caliber pellets in seconds. The M1897 has a unique quirk to it. If you held down the trigger and pumped the action it would go boom! Try that in a trench!

The M1897 trench gun had more use in the Pacific that Europe due to the nature of the fighting. It survived up to the Korean war and was pretty much replace by the Mossberg 12 ga. pump gun by Viet Nam.

In fact, this was Audie Murphy's prefferred weapon in WWII.

For a bio see:
http://www.briantaylor.com/AudieMurphy_bio.htm

Ed
trickymissfit
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

According to Osprey's book The US Army in World War II the M97/M1912 shotgun was used in the Pacific. It mentions they were "rarely available." The book goes on to say that they were used by MPs guarding prisoners, and in limited combat use, but that General MacArthur tried to restrict their use. I could be totally wrong but I seem to recall that General Eisenhower did get them restricted in the ETO.

I had an Uncle that started out on Pelaleu (sp), and finished out on Okwinawa. They were issued shotguns in his squad, but most guys didn't want one till they saw somebody use one (he was a Raider).
gary