_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
compressor help
blind_man
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC
hey, hopfully im going to be getting an airbrush soon so im going to need a compressor. there is a few questions i have;
-are there any recomended brands or models?
-what should i look for in a compressor?
-are there things it should have?

-any tips, hints, websites would be great!

thanks alot,
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 10:10 PM UTC
Read a bit of this about the "tanked" compressors: Aztek 430 and Blue Mini Compressor
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 12:27 AM UTC
If you can afford it - Get a Tank!

There are a number of 'flavors' of that Mini Blue either at Hobby/craft stores or DIY stores.
They'll run you about $100 USD's.
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Blind_man,

Although I do not post often here (I should make a point of that ), I want to add my two cents.

If this is your first airbrush then my advice is to splash out a bit more on the compressor and get a simpler airbrush, then once you get the hang of it (and the money of course ) get a better model.

Get a compressor with a tank. Most airbrush compressors are without a tank and give you a pulsating supply of air (although a pressure regulator solves this a bit).
The compressor must be equipped with a pressure regulator and water trap (you can get those combined).

If you can spare the money check out these guys bambi air . Harder and Steenbeck also sell them under their own name (just do a Google search for them). These are normal compressors which can deliver pressures up to 116PSI (I know a bit much, but then you can use for other applications). But the best part about them is that they are very, very silent. The downside: their price, they will set you back about €/$ 500 (ouch ).
 _GOTOTOP