TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Models in movies - obsolete?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
With the way Computer Graphics is getting more and more advanced for moviemaking, will models for filming become obsolete?
This is one question I thought about one time when I was extremely bored..
When you think 'models used in movies', the first thing you think of (or at least I do) is Star Wars. Every spaceship scene from the original trilogy was created by moving a computer controlled camera around a model in front of bluescreen.

Now, effects artists can create CG vehicle models for use in movies without ever having a physical miniature of it. For example, the first two movies of the Star Wars Prequels. (however, I do realize that most of these vehicles were built as models and scanned in 3D into a copmuter.)
Even though models are still being used in filmmaking (a Helm's Deep miniature was created in 1/4 scale), are models on the way out?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:46 PM UTC
Yoda:
Is this your return? A few peolpe were concered about your whereabouts.

Anyway I fear you are correct that models have gone the way of TriStar kits (under that name anyway). That's too bad becuase frankly I think all the computer generated special effects look like crap. I have seen none of the new Star Wars films simply for that reason (besides how entertaining is a fued in a trade federation... )
It's too bad really, I think plots will be less plot driven and be more depenadant on computers to tell the story. While Stars Wars (The REAL Star Wars) was taken from the great westerns and given a sci-fi spin, it was a truly fantastic movie done with MODELS!!!!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
I don't that models will fully go to the wayside. Although CGG will take a larger part in movie roles, there's just some things that cannot be done with CGG that models can and still do.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
Not entirely. I watched a little "in the making" of the first part and they tried everything to represent the high waterfalls. No computer images could look the part. The white froth was very "computerish". In the end they used salt. It looked excellent and thats what they went with. This might not be the best example, but there will always be things that just cant be drawn!! Exploding buildings etc, will be another that would be hard to reproduce with graphics alone. There were some other things that only physical scale representations could look effective. I would have taken more notice if I had have known you were going to ask this question. Ha ha! Scale models will have some part to play, although I agree this will only get lesser with time.
On the positive side, with the improvements made in graphics maybe they might come up with some excellent ships and aliens that might tempt a revival of model building again! Cartoons (like Pokémon) have started an epidemic of trading cards. Maybe this might in turn start the 3-D revival. Who knows ... the truth is out there!!
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Even though models are still being used in filmmaking (a Helm's Deep miniature was created in 1/4 scale), are models on the way out?

I was surprised at the number of miniatures used for TFOTR and TTT. Many of the things I thought were CGI turned out to be models.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When you think 'models used in movies', the first thing you think of (or at least I do) is Star Wars

Gee Yoda, when I think of 'models used in movies' I think of Bond Girls. Oh... you mean PLASTIC models?

BTW, welcome back, where've you been?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee Yoda, when I think of 'models used in movies' I think of Bond Girls. Oh... you mean PLASTIC models?

The difference being the type of plastic? #:-)
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 06:07 PM UTC
I don't think that Models will go by the wayside in movies... 2 Reasons...

1: there are certain details that CGG will not be able to mimic.
2: Even if the CGG is used in the shot, they are usually formed from looking at a static model or sculpture and recreated in CGG Land to allow for motion, and additional tricks...

Look at The New Star Wars movies and even Disney Movies... Just from watching Treasure Planet (Special Features) I noticed how they made some of the CGG stuff from Clay and plastic models. Quite interesting to me....
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
YM - I live out here with guys who do seasonal work at ILM. We always swap "shop talk" - and Episode III is probably going to wind up more model-intensive than previous efforts. Model miniatures are making a comeback in movies - not the reverse. Episode II used some fantastic model work because it looked better than the CGI in Episode I. The Kamino Clone Factory was some wonderful, those expansive, model miniature work.

I don't forsee the model miniatures going the way of the dinosaurs.

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YM - I live out here with guys who do seasonal work at ILM. We always swap "shop talk" - and Episode III is probably going to wind up more model-intensive than previous efforts.

Hmm... Any chance they could pull some strings and get me hired for Ep III?
(I'm kidding, but I'm not really kidding... )

Quoted Text

Model miniatures are making a comeback in movies - not the reverse. Episode II used some fantastic model work because it looked better than the CGI in Episode I. The Kamino Clone Factory was some wonderful, those expansive, model miniature work.

I'd forgotten about Kamino!

It kind of stinks that we've seen so few of the studio models used in the prequels. Do you know how many fans are waiting for some walkaround shots of the vehicles and ships from Ep I and II? (Slave 1, Naboo fighter, Sith Infiltrator, Podracers, Anakin's Speeder, Republic gunships, AT-TE, and of course all of the Geonosian battle vehicles!)

*sorry for changing the focus to Star Wars... *

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm... Any chance they could pull some strings and get me hired for Ep III?
(I'm kidding, but I'm not really kidding... )

Not sure you'd really want to do that. I think that if you ever made the "permanent" staff then things might be pretty cool, but, coming on for 6 months of work for a movie and then suddenly becoming unemployed is most unsettling in California's economy. Can't see how one could do this and feed their family. Listening to the stories over the years is kinda sad...

Quoted Text

It kind of stinks that we've seen so few of the studio models used in the prequels. Do you know how many fans are waiting for some walkaround shots of the vehicles and ships from Ep I and II? (Slave 1, Naboo fighter, Sith Infiltrator, Podracers, Anakin's Speeder, Republic gunships, AT-TE, and of course all of the Geonosian battle vehicles!)

Perhaps it's an effort to save photos for another $+50 dollar coffee table book on the prequels...

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 07:49 PM UTC
I think there will always be a place for models in Hollywood. They just like to blow up too many things in movies, andnothing looks better than a real explosion